10' Jon Boat Bassin'

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
You must be a registered user to be able to read the posts in this forum
Rat

10' Jon Boat Bassin'

Post by Rat »

The 10 foot barge! Still on of my favorite builds!

I think the general consensus on bottom treatment is Steelflex; here is a thread with LOTS of information!
Everyting Steelflex

BR1

10' Jon Boat Bassin'

Post by BR1 »

You mentioned dragging your boat here and there. I'm thinking you could use a canoe or kayak trailer that the back of your boat could sit on and hold it in place with ratchet straps. You could take it off when you got where you were going. You could make a set to help on the cost instead of buying a set. I've also seen outriggers for kayaks and canoes. Might look on you tube and find a set.

rocket rich

10' Jon Boat Bassin'

Post by rocket rich »

can you just put out rigger close to the side of the boat instead of way out on both sides. why not just one on each side 4 inch diameter straight down from the top of the boat. Some o f what I read makes the boat really heavy too heavy for this 74 year old ... If it floats its good

BlakeRauch

10' Jon Boat Bassin'

Post by BlakeRauch »

rocket rich » 07 Mar 2014, 15:30 wrote:can you just put out rigger close to the side of the boat instead of way out on both sides. why not just one on each side 4 inch diameter straight down from the top of the boat. Some o f what I read makes the boat really heavy too heavy for this 74 year old ... If it floats its good
That would depend on what you want to accomplish with the outriggers. I made these to make the boat more stable. Most people use outriggers to keep from tipping their boat over. The difference being mine stay in contact with the water the entire time. If you are trying to stay right side up then I bet your idea would work fine!
The Bassquatch --> viewtopic.php?f=21&t=33466

The Bassquatch 2.0 --> viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36650

rocket rich

10' Jon Boat Bassin'

Post by rocket rich »

I seen a guy that increased the height of the sides of a 10 foot jon boat just by putting a 2x2 against the inside of the rub rail and add semi heavy strip of alum which he had cut at a tin shop then caulked the outside of the new top. He claim it really done the trick?? it's worth a try if that's a problem, really not much cost involved. Anyone ever do it????

BlakeRauch

10' Jon Boat Bassin'

Post by BlakeRauch »

Got the casting deck cut today. It was a bad word, but it fits! Also, I need tips on how to go about carpeting the deck. I have the adhesive, carpet, and probably and stapler. I just want to know if there is a certain method that makes it go smoother.
IMG_4570.jpg
Also today, I finished the outriggers! They are fully adjustable and solid!
IMG_4574.jpg
Still waiting to hear back from my motor guy.
I have an old hand controlled trolling motor that will work up front for now.
I think I'm just gonna go with Olive Drab for the paint job and maybe try this steel flex stuff on the bottom.

Thanks for all your feedback!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

huntinfool

10' Jon Boat Bassin'

Post by huntinfool »

Just remember if the deck just fits, you will need to trim just a bit to make it fit with the carpet between the deck and hull.
Steelflex will greatly increase the water tightness of the boat. It will add some weight, buy not too much. Depending on which one you get will depend on how you install, but either one can be applied upside down. If your getting the newer stuff with Teflon, it must be applied with the boat upside down. Trust me! ;)

arob8924

10' Jon Boat Bassin'

Post by arob8924 »

Wow! I have thought of doing the same thing with the outriggers with my 12 ft alumaweld. Its pretty shallow sided and some outties would probably do a lot of good. I have about a 6 ft length of 8" PVC that is collecting dust. Im wondering if i could make a one sided outrigger that would do much good. We fish 3 guys in the boat at once so having riggers on both sides probably wont work. What do you think?

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=33516

rocket rich

10' Jon Boat Bassin'

Post by rocket rich »

I'm going to use the blue foam that they have under docks, you can't use it in Mo so there is a lot of it around. It comes 12 inches by 48 inches so I;m going to cut it down to 12 x 24 and go straight down from the top rail to the water adding about 3-4 foot more width???

BlakeRauch

10' Jon Boat Bassin'

Post by BlakeRauch »

arob8924 » 10 Mar 2014, 23:18 wrote:Wow! I have thought of doing the same thing with the outriggers with my 12 ft alumaweld. Its pretty shallow sided and some outties would probably do a lot of good. I have about a 6 ft length of 8" PVC that is collecting dust. Im wondering if i could make a one sided outrigger that would do much good. We fish 3 guys in the boat at once so having riggers on both sides probably wont work. What do you think?

I haven't had any experience with an outrigger on only one side so I won't blow smoke up your crack. :LOL2: Personally, If I had that 6' piece of PVC I would cut it in half and have two 3' outriggers on either side towards the center of the boat. But also you said 3 people in the boat. Maybe you could make four 1.5' outriggers and put them out of the anglers way. Just spitballing!

BlakeRauch

10' Jon Boat Bassin'

Post by BlakeRauch »

rocket rich » 11 Mar 2014, 07:00 wrote:I'm going to use the blue foam that they have under docks, you can't use it in Mo so there is a lot of it around. It comes 12 inches by 48 inches so I;m going to cut it down to 12 x 24 and go straight down from the top rail to the water adding about 3-4 foot more width???
Sounds like a plan! I would love to see some pictures once you finish her up.

arob8924

10' Jon Boat Bassin'

Post by arob8924 »

Heck i might as well make a spidey boat with 8 legs with tennis balls attached to each one! would sit right on top of the water like those water bugs!! :LOL2: But seriously, I think i may do the two shorties, but towards the transom, which is the skinniest portion of my boat. Ill let you know if i do, but I have a few other projects that are first in line on the boat!

BlakeRauch

10' Jon Boat Bassin'

Post by BlakeRauch »

arob8924 » 11 Mar 2014, 11:08 wrote:Heck i might as well make a spidey boat with 8 legs with tennis balls attached to each one! would sit right on top of the water like those water bugs!! :LOL2: But seriously, I think i may do the two shorties, but towards the transom, which is the skinniest portion of my boat. Ill let you know if i do, but I have a few other projects that are first in line on the boat!
Sounds good, man! I want to see some pictures when you get around to it.

arob8924

10' Jon Boat Bassin'

Post by arob8924 »

Blake, if you write on my thread below ill have you saved in case this post is way down the list when I get around to it! Thanks!

BlakeRauch

10' Jon Boat Bassin'

Post by BlakeRauch »

No physical updates this week yet! However, I was able to acquire a title and tag for my boat. After reading around about boats bought with no title I was a little nervous. I was surprised at how easy it really was. I had my local tag agency run the serial number and it came back clean. Then, I wrote a short story about how the boat had been on my property for "many years" and used for farm ponds and that I was ready to take it out on lakes. The tag agency notarized it and sent it in and boom $8.75 later I had a title and numbers.

I've been on the look out for a foot pedal trolling motor, but I have a few questions. Is there such a thing as getting one with too much thrust? Do most people get the shortest shaft possible since Jon's are usually closer to the water?