USB Jump Drives

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Jump drives are cool and they are dirt cheap. If you need to copy or transfer files, these things are indispensable.

Back in the day (roughly 3 years ago) a 1GB jump drive was like $200. Now they are like $10 bucks. 1GB is still a chunk of sapce. That is not the point of this blurb.

My boss ordered me 2 GB of memory for my laptop. It only had 1GB but I need at least 2GB because I run VMware and stuff like that. Well I guess they were giving away 1GB jump drives as part of the memory purchase promotion.

I get the package and I thought it was empty. I look inside and what looked like the metal security strip was actually the jump drive. :shock:

Take a look at this jump drive, it is a 1GB drive.

Then second picture is the new jump drive compared to an older version of a 1GB jump drive.

Look how tiny it is.

Attachments

• IMG_1010.JPG
    IMG_1010.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,220
  • IMG_1008.JPG
    IMG_1008.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 1,227
They're great for backup files! Last December my hard drive at work crashed, and the backup disk wouldn't work :roll: . After receiving the new hard drive from Dell (warranty) I had to manually type our inventory (30 pages) into the new drive. I now have a 2gb thumb drive ($20)as my backup, and everytime we do an inventory change (issue/return) I update the computer hard drive and the thumb drive. There's still lots of room left on that thing. :)

Sweet! Now cut up an old crankbait and glue it into place so you don't lose it(and it'll look cool).

Storage and memory has gotten a lot cheaper in the last year or two.

I bought a 500Gb external hard drive two weeks ago for $125 and they had some that were cheaper than that. :shock:

Small is good.... but I think a little common sense is called for too. Like you said... that thing won't last a week and what difference does it make if you lose your data via a system crash or HD failure or you just flat out lose the jump drive it's on ???

They would be a good way to snail-mail a bunch of data to someone though. Provided it doesn't get lost in the mail. :roll:

DocWatson said:
Small is good.... but I think a little common sense is called for too. Like you said... that thing won't last a week and what difference does it make if you lose your data via a system crash or HD failure or you just flat out lose the jump drive it's on ???

They would be a good way to snail-mail a bunch of data to someone though. Provided it doesn't get lost in the mail. :roll:

The hole in it is even too small to put on a key ring! :LOL2:

I use these all the time at work. I also use a program called MojoPac. It's 100% free https://www.mojopac.com/portal/content/hellomojo.jsp

Mojopac is a technology that transforms your iPod or USB Hard Drive or Flash drive into a portable and private PC. Just install MojoPac on any USB 2.0 compliant storage device, upload your applications and files, modify your user settings and environment preferences, and take it with you everywhere

Everytime you plug your MojoPac-enabled device into any Windows XP PC , MojoPac automatically launches your environment on the host PC. Your communications, music, games, applications, and files are all local and accessible. And when you unplug the MojoPac device, no trace is left behind – your information is not cached on the host PC.

Its like having a 2nd computer running in the background and you can switch back and forth and copy data from Mojo to the normal PC. Your PC will see the USB drive as a drive letter for example F: but when you are in Mojopac, the same USB drive will look like a C drive. I use this at work to surf the internet, test software and play a game :) :)

Watch the video on that page to show you how it works https://www.mojopac.com/portal/content/how/demo.jsp

Why use it to surf the net? Big brother is monitoring through LAN activity and proxy server, not your individual computer.

I could see it for playing games. My 500Gb drive is holding all of my music to listen to at work. :lol:

Latest posts