Lone Star 1956 Restore

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasLoneStar56

Reaction score
Thanks to all of the awesome advice on this forum, and some professional advice from a few, I am into week #4 in restoring our 1956 Lone Star Clipper.

We put her in the lake today for the first time in over 30 years. What a joy to see her in the water! Still much work to do, but we are getting there, one day at a time.

I hope you enjoy a few pics. (more later as the work progresses).

Texas

Attachments

• Lone Star before 1 edited.JPG
    Lone Star before 1 edited.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 3,835
Just another day in Paradise. Not bad for an ole gal that's 58 years old.
Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings! :D

Attachments

• SAM_1183.JPG
    SAM_1183.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 3,682
If anybody is looking for a Lone Star steering wheel cap, I know where one is. Really good shape. Not sure of the price. I can put you in touch with the gent that has it.

TexasLoneStar56
I just found this forum and Your thread, Good job so far.
That's gonna be a great boat.
Have You thought about using stripper to get the paint off?
I haven't done it but I have been checking out different boat restoration threads
to get ready to tackle a mid 70s Starcraft SS.
Your comment in the other thread about Your Husband saying it's just a money pit
made Me laugh.
Usually the Wife says that!
Keep up the good work.

Steve A W

Steve,

I have tried Klean Strip on the inside. It's "ok", but sure is messy. I'm sanding the outside as smooth as I can get it so that it will be shiny, for now. I am wet sanding, by hand, with 400 grit. I will go up from there. Don't really want to paint it right now. Yes, she is hot, but we live on a lake, so I have her tied to the dock and work on her (wet sanding) in the water.

I read several posts about stripping aluminum with Easy-Off oven cleaner, the old stinky kind. I tried it on the inside about a 12"x12" space, left it on over night, and then for two days in the hot Texas sun. It started to flake and peel off. (The pic attached is what it looked like.) So, I bought two more cans yesterday morning and sprayed the inside, left it in this hot Texas Sun all day yesterday. I will see what today brings (at 104 heat index). We will pull her out this evening so I can hose her down, away from the lake. Don't want any oven cleaner in the lake.

Yes, she is my money pit, but she's worth it! :D

Posting pics of the trailer under the trailer section today. I have questions about it. :?

Thanks for your comments!
:D

Attachments

• IMG_20140805_102500.jpg
    IMG_20140805_102500.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 3,562
When you get a chance please post a pic of the oven cleaner that you are using. I would like to give this a try on a trailer.

Oh goodness! I threw the empty cans away. I first bought the name brand "Easy-Off" oven cleaner. But I bought the Dollar Store brand yesterday. (cheaper). It has the exact same ingredient, uummm, can't recall right off hand. Sodium hydrochloride, I think.

They make two different ones. The old kind that has fumes, stinks to high heaven and will take your breath. :x That's the one to get. The one your Grandmother and Mother used that "stank" up the whole house! :LOL2:

The newer one says it has less fumes and pleasant smell. I've never used it. No need with self cleaning ovens these days. I don't know if it would work on these kinds of projects or not. :?:

All the posts I've read specify the old kind, so I bought that one. Believe me, make sure you are in a ventilated area, and hold your breath while spraying! I also wear safety glasses while working, and rubber gloves. It will burn your skin. I got it on my leg yesterday, and just washed it off with water. My leg is fine.

Hope this helps! Let me know how it works for you. Is your trailer aluminum or steel?

Went to Sherwin-Wiliams and was directed to a stripper that is based on Soy....uh huh that's what I thought too. Worked like a champ and was super easy on your skin. Have stripped two boats now with it and my neighbor stripped some furniture with it as well.
Your boat is looking super and it looks like it is begging for a Big Twin of some kind on it.

Pappy,

Thanks for the advice, and the comments. Big Twin? Wish I could put a big twin on her. About a 2005, 1450cc with Vance and Hines dual exhausts coming out the back. :LOL2:

We have the original motor; 1955 Mercury Mark 55E. Haven't tackled that yet, but will soon. It's in our storage. I'm ready to put a trolling motor on her! :lol:

Thanks again!

Wow. What an awesome little boat. 1956 was a great year for America and it shows in the design of that little craft. Keep her moving along! 8)

Thanks Will!

Yes, 1956 was a good year. It just happens to be the year my parents graduated High School. I wish they were still here to see how she is coming along. My Dad told me years ago that she was a nice ride in her day. I'm trying to get her "nice" again. She deserves it.

Still have a lot of work to do on her, but I am enjoying every minute of it. I work on her a little every day.

Memphis, TN! hhmm one of my favorite songs is by Mark Conn, "Walking in Memphis". Good tune to sand to! :D

Thanks again!

Tyler, Texas

Posted pics of the Mercury Mark 55E motor that goes on her under:
Motors
1955 Mercury Mark 55E

It's the original motor that came on her. :D

Enjoy, but don't laugh too hard! It may be old, but it's a Merc! :D

Texas

Latest posts