Jet ski motor recommendations?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derek03

Reaction score
I am building a jet john and was wondering what would be a good motor for my boat. I have a 17ft bass tracker it's a 1988 and I don't really remember how wide it is. Any recommendations? I had a 2000 seadoo available to buy with the 951cc rotax motor but the guy selling it bailed on me.

I know the Yamaha 650cc, 701 and 760 have pretty common parts and have metal pump housings which are easy to install. The motors are cheap and abundant. Of course I like them because they are all I have used. Another plus is they don't have any electronics really. They are basic two strokes and you don't have to be a electrical guru or super mechanical to fix them. The mikuni carbs are super easy to rebuild and they are pretty much bullet proof. If you do look into these yamahas I would suggest the 701 62T or the 760 64x they have good horsepower. I have a 650cc everything you would need with intermediate shaft and pump housing but I would imagine it may be a little small for your boat mine was a 1648 and I only got 30mph out of it with 3 people.

I am still fairly new to ski's but I used a '94 Polaris 750 (Fuji engine) in my Polar Kraft. I am a bit smaller than you are at 14' but I have reached 44 mph GPS with the boat fully decked (not open hull). There are still lots of parts available for them but not sure if it will have enough top end speed for a boat of your size. I do know that my buddies bombardier 800 had so much more umph then the Polaris 750 before I tore it apart and those can also be found fairly reasonable.

I also have polaris 750. Go to web site Gree Hulk for advice on them, they can tell you everything you need to know. Part availability is not a problem. My only regret is not getting one with reverse gate. I looked into retrofit but it would be too much to buy separately.

I also have polaris 750. Go to web site Green Hulk for advice on them, they can tell you everything you need to know. Part availability is not a problem. My only regret is not getting one with reverse gate. I looked into retrofit but it would be too much to buy separately.

I purchased my gate assembly and cable for about 150$ on ebay...just installed my reverse a couple days ago. Kit on there right now for around $200 if I remember right and thats for everything.

Flat bottom you got a build thread or pics of your motor an how you put it in the hull. I'd like to see how you did it.

I started a build thread here for a restoration to full aluminum floor and decking but not of the original install. I may have a few photos but I deleted most of them one day when I was upset that my phone ran out of memory haha. I will see if I have any and PM them to you. It was actually a lot easier than I thought.

I will PM you so as not to hijack the OP's thread.

To the OP, I also was thinking today and my buddy is a die hard Kawasaki fan. The Kawasaki 750 is a great engine to possibly choose as well.

I would avoid the SeaDoo 951, those engines are very problematic.

On the other hand, the SeaDoo 717 is a good one, as is the kawasaki 750, and the Yamaha 700.

If you want a 4 stroke, I'd recommend a Yamaha VX110, or for another 50HP at the same engine weight, get a 160HP FXHO. I have the FXHO in my 1648 duracraft, it's an outstanding engine.

im partial to the yamahas as I said before. That aside I just ran my 96' Yamaha 760 and that thing is a beast my 2011 four stroke vx110 doesn't have anything on it. Top speed is close but bottom end punch the two stroke smokes it. It will leave the 4 stroke in the corner in curled up in the fetal position.

My girlfriend has a VX110 jet ski. My FXHO will outrun it on takeoff, but not on top end. Even though it's pushing a 1648 hull, the FXHO still has more than enough hole shot to yank a skier on plane quickly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip7RyutVl1s

Yes, when I swing wide on the ski, it tends to pull the stern of the jet boat in that direction, requiring the driver to counter-act with steering. Outboards don't have this problem, because the lower unit serves as a rudder/keel to keep it from laterally drifting. However, I don't like running outboards in black water, as there's always the risk of hitting logs just under the surface.

psg-1 can you tell me the measurement from your transom to the front of your engine

I am building a jet john and was wondering what would be a good motor for my boat. I have a 17ft bass tracker it's a 1988 and I don't really remember how wide it is. Any recommendations? I had a 2000 seadoo available to buy with the 951cc rotax motor but the guy selling it bailed on me.
The baby ski motors have no real torque so that leaves the 4 strokes, the 110, 160, 180hps are Bullitt proof and simple or for more performace the Mercury sportjet inches 175, 210, 240hps are good also with way more performace just DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT ANYTHING OPTI MAX. And the sportjets are very simple to install

Latest posts