Shallow water anchors (push poles)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archery68

Reaction score
So I have an 18/52 flat bottom blazer ss with 60/40 Mercury jet tiller. I fish mostly the current river in Missouri for smallmouth but in Spring I also lake fish for crappie and white bass. I run a 55 12 volt trolling motor for which I just drift fish. I don't like jacking with my anchor on the river but sometimes do if I find that spot with lots of fish, like below a shoal. I love the idea of power poles but no way am I going to spend that kind of coin. Was wondering if any of you on here have used the manual poles? Used them in swift water? Used on front of boat? Stern? Which brand? I think I can get by without buying the brackets because I think the poles will fit through my handles that are on my boat. Any and all input would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got a king pin, 10fter and only used it one time, but I loved it. I have tite lok rod holders and clamps and I move the clamp on the boat wherever works best w the current. Can't speak for the longevity of it, but great first impressions. I know a lot of guys say they just bought the 10ft figerglass landscaping poles and shaved one end, but being able to take it apart to store it appealed to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

People use these around here sharpen one end

Attachments

• PicsArt_05-02-08.43.10.jpg
    PicsArt_05-02-08.43.10.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 4,255
Thanks for replies so far. Was in the Current River yesterday and could have used one, don't know if I can make one work without buying the pricey mount. We shall see!!!!

I purchased a kit and made my own.

You can also mount them very easily like this:

shallow-water-boat-anchors-09.jpg

shallow-water-boat-anchors-07.jpg

I did the homemade route with a 10ft 3/4" stick from Grainger. I think it was around 40 bucks for the fiberglass pole and $35 for the monitor pole bracket I picked up on amazon that I think worked out perfect. I will say I've used mine in what I would consider moderate current, and really wish I'd gone 1" or 1 1/4" diameter fiberglass now.... I'll upgrade it eventually but the 3/4" flexes way too much to hold. I wrapped the handle end in some orange parachute cord I had laying around and used some cheap bat tape to finish it off.

https://www.amazon.com/Bracket-Pole-Mount-VESA75-100/dp/B00PZDB2HM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41GsZ%2BQHClL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1X24A64GBNZWC2QBHR4G

https://www.grainger.com/product/DYNAFORM-Rod-4ATL9?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/4ATK9_AS01?$smthumb$

Attachments

• IMG_1110.JPG
    IMG_1110.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 4,170
  • IMG_1109.JPG
    IMG_1109.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 4,170
drew said:
I did the homemade route with a 10ft 3/4" stick from Grainger. I think it was around 40 bucks for the fiberglass pole and $35 for the monitor pole bracket I picked up on amazon that I think worked out perfect. I will say I've used mine in what I would consider moderate current, and really wish I'd gone 1" or 1 1/4" diameter fiberglass now.... I'll upgrade it eventually but the 3/4" flexes way too much to hold. I wrapped the handle end in some orange parachute cord I had laying around and used some cheap bat tape to finish it off.

https://www.amazon.com/Bracket-Pole-Mount-VESA75-100/dp/B00PZDB2HM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41GsZ%2BQHClL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1X24A64GBNZWC2QBHR4G

https://www.grainger.com/product/DYNAFORM-Rod-4ATL9?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/4ATK9_AS01?$smthumb$
very nice. Thanks for the pictures and info. Much appreciated.

I've made and used them a lot on my kayaks. Also have used them less so with my tinny. The rope and ring arrangement by JIM is more than adequate for most uses.

In fact, I like a little bit of 'give" so that a wave doesn't pull the stick out of the bottom so easily.

On the yaks, I have a bungee type cord that extends out a foot or two from the side of the yak. Yaks normally have an "anchor trolley" running down one or both sides. That pulley arrangement (simple to add to any craft) allows you to position the anchor or the stickk anchor forward, back or amidships.

My latest one is an 8 foot PVC/steel garden stake from Loews. I think it cost $7.00
I added a PVC -T- and a bit of a hook. It does triple duty now as a short push pole; a boat hook (great around docks) and a stickk anchor. I used it today as a push pole and to help bring the tinny into the dock.

richg99

https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40235
Stickk anchor under ten bucks...

Thanks for the replies. Lots of ideas.

47dde5aafc4c834533d903d1e6e3ad1e.jpg

42691ba9f7658251caa0f96d7ee68472.jpg

Here is what I am going to use for my manual shallow pole anchor bracket.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk