Repowering a Tracker with a Mercury 60 45 Jet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckinVa

Reaction score
I am trying to make a decision about repowering my Tracker 17 with a Mercury 60 45 Jet and wondering if I have to tunnel the hull or can I use it albeit not running as shallow, as is? I do some river fishing but usually just putting along upstream and then floating back down. The rest of my fishing is usually on lakes.

Thanks,

CHUCK

Yes you can run a jet with no problem without having a tunnel. It's actually easier to setup than having a tunnel. I have a 1648 Tracker Grizzly without a tunnel and a 35 Evinrude Jet.

You don't need a tunnel and retro fitting a hull with one is quite an undertaking. The tunnel will give you a little more protection for the foot but also creates more drag on the hull. I think it's a fair statement to say that most people with jets rarely ever push them to the limit of needing that little bit of extra clearance/protection for the foot.

with a .100 gauge hull, id prefer the jet foot to keep me honest, than to hit on the transom weld - instant can opener effect.

JoshKeller said:
with a .100 gauge hull, id prefer the jet foot to keep me honest, than to hit on the transom weld - instant can opener effect.

Have to agree although even without a tunnel, I have hit a rock on the transom weld and busted it open.

Thanks for the responses. I pulled the trigger today and have the motor mounted and just have the controls to rework and I will be ready for the maiden voyage.Hopefully get it finished this weekend and maybe on the river one day next week if it warms up any! I will update after I have a chance to try it out.
CHUCK

ChuckinVa said:
Thanks for the responses. I pulled the trigger today and have the motor mounted and just have the controls to rework and I will be ready for the maiden voyage.Hopefully get it finished this weekend and maybe on the river one day next week if it warms up any! I will update after I have a chance to try it out.
CHUCK

Congrats man! Keep us posted! Im very interested in this.

I finally got the boat in the water yesterday and was pretty pleased with the result. Still want to try some things with the trim and tilt and I have one more notch that I can drop the motor down,which I wold like to see how that affects the hole shot. I was not on the river but rather on a very choppy lake. I will have to wait until next weekend before I can get on the river but looking forward to it!

Glad you didn't go tunnel would slow you down a lot. I don't have one occasionally I wack the intake but I question how much a tunnel would help me they seem to hurt performance a lot.

This story sounds awfully familiar Chuck...........
Look familiar to ya?? :lol:

Let me know if you ever want a transom riser so we can get that motor up another 1-1.5" or so. Glad she's doing well for ya. That motor was ready to go!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• tracker2.jpg
    tracker2.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,949
  • tracker1.jpg
    tracker1.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,949
SkinnywaterP said:
This story sounds awfully familiar Chuck...........
Look familiar to ya?? :lol:

Let me know if you ever want a transom riser so we can get that motor up another 1-1.5" or so. Glad she's doing well for ya. That motor was ready to go!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure I'm going to need it but If I do I'll call ya! I want to see your new ride !

Latest posts