New tinny

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnappi

Reaction score
Life is a learning experience and sometimes it takes a while to get going. My first tinny is/was a 1032 Topper. A great little boat, but its shortcomings are it has a limited weight capacity for cargo and passenger, and its narrow profile in the water which makes it unstable.

Yesterday I picked up my new (made in the U.S.A.) Lowe 1040 and its specs are much more suitable for me. At the same length as the Topper, it has 10" of extra beam, 8" more hull profile in the water, 2 more HP of engine (5 vs. 3) capacity if I ever decided to go gas instead of all electric, (which I doubt) and 100 pounds more person/cargo capacity. Now I can more readily take my son and GF's boy fishing.

I also wanted to be able to hand launch the boat and since the bed of my truck is shorter than a full sized bed because I have an extended cab, it overhangs the tailgate by just a few inches and can easily be secured.

So, now comes the chore of installing lights, cleats, rod holders, transducer etc. and getting it into the places only those with yaks can go :)

PS Now I have to put my thinking cap on for a storage solution since I'm selling my trailer. If anyone has any suggestions for storing it in a garage on its side I'd appreciate pics.

lowe_boat.jpg

Gary - I had a 1032 for only two days and sold it right away.
I know you will be much more comfortable in that WIDE boat now !!
do a google search on "suspending small boats from garage ceiling"
you may find a solution for your concerns that way. Many canoes and yaks
are stored hung from the ceiling..... just research the load capacity of your rafters first.
happy and safe boating !!

example: https://www.duckworksmagazine.com/11/howto/lift/index.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idjas7esg0w
and I saw some of the hardware on Amazon for less than $50.

I just realized that thanks to the mini screen on my phone I posted this in Jet boats... Admins if you would please move it?

Anyway, believe it or not my garage ceilings are "cathedral" or arched type and shaped really weird, what the designers were thinking of is a mystery. I tried storing a bicycle on the ceiling and it was a chore, so I think that's out.

Yeah, I LOVED the 1032 but this one is going to be so much more flexible.

gnappi said:
PS Now I have to put my thinking cap on for a storage solution since I'm selling my trailer. If anyone has any suggestions for storing it in a garage on its side I'd appreciate pics.
I would be tempted to get a half dozen ladder hangers from Home Depot, and then mount them so they support the boat, with some mounted directly on the floor https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Heavy-Duty-Padded-Arm-Hanger-18042/202305548

Then, I would get a couple of automatic ratchet straps, bolt-on style, and mount them to the wall above where the boat will be when tipped on its side: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-50030-Retractable-Transom-Strap/dp/B01MCSTFHK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1510078813&sr=8-8

Then, you wouldn't have to worry about crushing a kid or a pet. Cover the ladder holders with pool noodles, so they are more visible, and less likely to cause injury if someone walks into them while the boat is out.

To store, tip the boat on its side, pull down the straps, hook them on the ladder hangers, and snug them up. When you want to take the boat out, unstrap, press the retraction buttons, and you're on your way.

You could even mount a rod holder behind it, so if someone broke into your garage, it might be a little more difficult to find and steal your rods without making a ton of noise.

:)

gnappi said:
Life is a learning experience and sometimes it takes a while to get going. My first tinny is/was a 1032 Topper. A great little boat, but its shortcomings are it has a limited weight capacity for cargo and passenger, and its narrow profile in the water which makes it unstable.

Yesterday I picked up my new (made in the U.S.A.) Lowe 1040 and its specs are much more suitable for me. At the same length as the Topper, it has 10" of extra beam, 8" more hull profile in the water, 2 more HP of engine (5 vs. 3) capacity if I ever decided to go gas instead of all electric, (which I doubt) and 100 pounds more person/cargo capacity. Now I can more readily take my son and GF's boy fishing.

I also wanted to be able to hand launch the boat and since the bed of my truck is shorter than a full sized bed because I have an extended cab, it overhangs the tailgate by just a few inches and can easily be secured.

So, now comes the chore of installing lights, cleats, rod holders, transducer etc. and getting it into the places only those with yaks can go :)

Drop a 5 on that, bring her up on plane, turn that tiller hard to port and watch that thing skim sideways on the water, drifting in a car ain't close to what that will do in a creek!

Latest posts