Intake spray

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riverrat717

Reaction score
I recently added a Rockproof jet foot, and I'm getting alot of spray from it. Any one else have this issue?

try raising the motor a little they hang a little lower than regular intakes I have it's tough but like a block I wish back when I bought mine wooldridge had their poly intake I would have saved my money to put towards that.

I was afraid, that that's the answer. I'm maxed out on motor height without drilling more holes in the transom. I have heard you can shape them with a woodworking plane, for a more hydrodynamic-friendly, shape

handyandy said:
try raising the motor a little they hang a little lower than regular intakes I have it's tough but like a block I wish back when I bought mine wooldridge had their poly intake I would have saved my money to put towards that.

How much further did you have to go?

No expert here, but I would measure where the foot is in relation to the bottom of the transom and see if it does sit lower than the one you had on, or just put the intakes side by side and compare. If the new one is longer then you may have to raise the motor. If the boat runs good, and the foot is slightly lower and didn't affect performance, maybe you could install a splash guard that goes on the transom and extends out to the foot to resolve the spray issue, that may be an option over re drilling the transom holes. Also depending how much you need to raise the motor, the mounting holes on the motor may be able to be elongated slightly.
I have two Tracker GRIZZLY'S, I think if I ran into what you did I would just get the holes in the transom welded and go from there, in my case only two mounting holes are in the transom, the other two are in a riser.
It seems strange that the replacement foot would be a different dimension than the original intake, seems like that could be a problem for guys who already have their jets mounted and could run into the same problem as you.
Did you call Wooldridge and see what they have to say, there may be other options and that's the first thing I would do!
Of course the other option would be to stick with the stock foot, problem solved!
Maybe an adjustable jack plate also!
GOOD LUCK!

overboard said:
No expert here, but I would measure where the foot is in relation to the bottom of the transom and see if it does sit lower than the one you had on, or just put the intakes side by side and compare. If the new one is longer then you may have to raise the motor. If the boat runs good, and the foot is slightly lower and didn't affect performance, maybe you could install a splash guard that goes on the transom and extends out to the foot to resolve the spray issue, that may be an option over re drilling the transom holes. Also depending how much you need to raise the motor, the mounting holes on the motor may be able to be elongated slightly.
I have two Tracker GRIZZLY'S, I think if I ran into what you did I would just get the holes in the transom welded and go from there, in my case only two mounting holes are in the transom, the other two are in a riser.
It seems strange that the replacement foot would be a different dimension than the original intake, seems like that could be a problem for guys who already have their jets mounted and could run into the same problem as you.
Did you call Wooldridge and see what they have to say, there may be other options and that's the first thing I would do!
Of course the other option would be to stick with the stock foot, problem solved!
Maybe an adjustable jack plate also!
GOOD LUCK!

I'm thinking a splash plate is the way to go. I did reach out to Rockproof, they suggested reshaping it/ rounding the edges, which helps a little. Thanks for your advice! :beer:

I don't know about the poly intake, but I had a damaged stock intake where I had the entire front edge replaced by welding a piece of 3/8" aluminum flat stock on it. When I went to form it the best thing I found that got the job done was a flapper disc, it may not work as well on the poly but depending on how much you need to reshape your foot it may be an option.
I was also thinking about getting the rockproof intake but they don't make them in the medium size for a 40/30 Yamaha. In my case I would have probably been OK, I can go up with the motor but not too far down.

flapper works on poly, just can't really stick it to it as it will get hot kind of melt and gum up the flapper. Hand files work for more fine tuning, little hand held belt sander works too. My motor is on a hydro jack plate so I always mess with my height some while running straights I raise up a little for max speed least amount of spray coming into turns I lower down a little to keep from cavitating in turns. I wouldn't suggest a jack plate for jets I just run it cause I switch back to a prop lower now and again for certain trips. You should be able to raise your engine by just going up a set of holes on your engine, sometimes you need to be be between a set of holes I've seen guys cut the area between holes so their motors have slotted holes to allow for finer adjustment. Spray shield is probably easiest.

Latest posts