Redecking a Bass Tracker

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
You must be a registered user to be able to read the posts in this forum
Blkrvrbart

Redecking a Bass Tracker

Post by Blkrvrbart »

More progress. Had to flatten the smurf tube a little to fit in the channels. Decided just to use it in wear areas. All the new wire is pulled, and then some. Smurf tube all the way down the port side. I’ll put an access panel where the tee is. I have some 1 1/2” Dow Blue foam board I’d like to use for flotation under the floor. Any reasons not to?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Redecking a Bass Tracker

Post by lckstckn2smknbrls »

The blue and pink foam boards work great.
A good alternative to silicone is Loctite 2 in 1 adhesive.
1971 14' Ward's Sea King Jon Boat / 1983 Mariner 25HP

Blkrvrbart

Redecking a Bass Tracker

Post by Blkrvrbart »

Thanks. Thoughts on Great Stuff?

lckstckn2smknbrls

Redecking a Bass Tracker

Blkrvrbart wrote:Thanks. Thoughts on Great Stuff?
You want a "closed cell" foam. Open cell foam will absorb moisture.

onthewater102

Redecking a Bass Tracker

Post by onthewater102 »

Great Stuff is good for filling small areas, but too expensive to do a whole boat. If you want to use expanding foam check out US Composites.com 2# expanding foam you mix the 2 parts 1:1 its pretty straight forward.
I have a marriage license and a fishing license, but I only carry one in my wallet.

1985 Bass Tracker III

For Sale - Custom Hand Tied Jigs, Bladed Jigs,Custom Rods

2002 Alumacraft 1436LT (SOLD)

Blkrvrbart

Redecking a Bass Tracker

Post by Blkrvrbart »

More progress last night. Mostly reriveting what was loose. Definitely going with aluminum decking. Welded the bow damage.

eshaw

Redecking a Bass Tracker

Post by eshaw »

lckstckn2smknbrls wrote:Silicone doesn't play nice with aluminum.
Why is that?

gatorglenn

Redecking a Bass Tracker

Post by gatorglenn »

Image I will be using this, to replace my foam. It’s use by a lot of the boat racing community. And it can be sculpted to your needs in areas where drainage is a must. Then Iam spraying truck bed line from cans. On top so water won’t sit on it to eventually soak in and saturate. This was my problem. It is closed cell foam. And is 1.75 pounds per cubic feet. Same as what was in these Trackers. Good luck with your build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blkrvrbart

Redecking a Bass Tracker

Post by Blkrvrbart »

On the topic of aluminum and silicones, I use silicone on aluminum frequently in very wet locations with no ill effects. Maybe lock stock and two barrels has some reasoning behind his logic, but I am still planning to use silicone as a vibration damper more than anything. A high modulus silicone works really well for that. You don’t want too much in case you need to disassemble. Just enough in the right places to stop vibrations and oilcanning. Anybody?

Blkrvrbart

Redecking a Bass Tracker

Post by Blkrvrbart »

gatorglenn wrote:Image I will be using this, to replace my foam. It’s use by a lot of the boat racing community. And it can be sculpted to your needs in areas where drainage is a must. Then Iam spraying truck bed line from cans. On top so water won’t sit on it to eventually soak in and saturate. This was my problem. It is closed cell foam. And is 1.75 pounds per cubic feet. Same as what was in these Trackers. Good luck with your build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks! I’ll check it out. Getting pretty close to that step.

Blkrvrbart

Redecking a Bass Tracker

Post by Blkrvrbart »

Got the foam board installed last night. Was able to do the bow flotation foam out of foam board with spray foam in the gaps. Finished the top of the stacks with some of the original styrofoam. It’s better than the random chunks that were in there before. Might build up the bow deck higher to meet the bow step. One big platform 7” higher would be better.

Blkrvrbart

Redecking a Bass Tracker

Post by Blkrvrbart »

Looked into building up the front deck and read the “decking when or when not to” thread. The rear seat is going to be up on a deck over the top of the two flotation wells, so I decided to keep the front deck stock height. If it seems stable, maybe next year we’ll raise the front deck, but I’d rather have stability for my folks than height. Just about ready for carpet.

Blkrvrbart

Redecking a Bass Tracker

Post by Blkrvrbart »

Carpet is 95% done. Need some piano hinge to mount the storage doors and rear deck access. Then to put the console back in and connect wiring.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

onthewater102

Redecking a Bass Tracker

Post by onthewater102 »

I have a tracker III and I really like the way you've got that storage area under the bow cap. I was struggling with how I was going to tastefully mate a u-shaped piece up to the deck.
I have a marriage license and a fishing license, but I only carry one in my wallet.

1985 Bass Tracker III

For Sale - Custom Hand Tied Jigs, Bladed Jigs,Custom Rods

2002 Alumacraft 1436LT (SOLD)

lckstckn2smknbrls

Redecking a Bass Tracker

eshaw wrote:
lckstckn2smknbrls wrote:Silicone doesn't play nice with aluminum.
Why is that?
I didn't see this until today.
IIRC Silicone has an acid in it that can damage the aluminum. Loctite 2 in1 caulk is safe to use with aluminum.