Redecking a Bass Tracker

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
You must be a registered user to be able to read the posts in this forum
Blkrvrbart

Redecking a Bass Tracker

Post by Blkrvrbart »

Onthewater102: I can’t take credit for the bow storage compartment. It was already there. I did simulate it for a 24”w x 16” deep stow hole under the bow deck. When they are finished they will have a rectangular door on them. Good for cords, rope, lunch, rainwear.
lckstckn2smknbrls wrote:
eshaw wrote:
lckstckn2smknbrls wrote:Silicone doesn't play nice with aluminum.
Why is that?
I didn't see this until today.
IIRC Silicone has an acid in it that can damage the aluminum. Loctite 2 in1 caulk is safe to use with aluminum.
In construction we use acid cure 100% silicone with aluminum all the time. The acid in the raw silicone etches the oxidized surface of the aluminum enough to let the silicone bond to it, but as the silicone cures the acid is released and won’t harm the aluminum. Not looking for an argument, just relaying knowledge handed down to me. I have gotten away from disagreeing on forums, but a forum actually means a place to discuss, so if anyone has better wisdom, please feel free to add it here. Otherwise, well, otherwise would be just otherwise. :)

Blkrvrbart

Redecking a Bass Tracker

Post by Blkrvrbart »

Well, tonight I tried bending the 1/4” plexiglass blank I had cut out for the windshield. I have a few hints if you’re interested. Cut a scrap piece and dink around with it. When you bend the real McCoy, clamp it down to a flat surface on foil, use a piece of wood to hold the bend line where you want it. Do not try to bend it too soon, it’ll crack. Use a Mapp torch for heat. Don’t get it too hot or you’ll have bubbles.
That might save you some headaches. Good luck.

Blkrvrbart

Redecking a Bass Tracker

Post by Blkrvrbart »

More progress.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gatorglenn

Redecking a Bass Tracker

Post by gatorglenn »

Blkrvrbart wrote:More progress.
ok what screws did you use in the floor. Iam having a hard time matching the ones that came out of my floor. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ckhenshaw4

Redecking a Bass Tracker

Post by ckhenshaw4 »

Your build looks great. Nice work.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Blkrvrbart

Redecking a Bass Tracker

Post by Blkrvrbart »

Second try on the windshield was better. It’s not perfect but it’ll work. Also took the wheel hubs apart on the trailer. New bearings, races, seals, washers, castle nuts, and hub savers. I polished the axle shafts and seal land, too. Surprised it made the 35 mile trip home.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Blkrvrbart

Redecking a Bass Tracker

Post by Blkrvrbart »

gatorglenn wrote:
Blkrvrbart wrote:More progress.
ok what screws did you use in the floor. Iam having a hard time matching the ones that came out of my floor. Thanks

They are stainless steel lath head number 8 self drilling screws. When you get through the top plate you have to reverse the impact, strip out that hole and then drive the screw in tight. Everything drew down nice.

gatorglenn

Redecking a Bass Tracker

Post by gatorglenn »

Thanks, yea they are soft. Real easy to strip. Local Fastenal store, and but box store. Didn’t have any. They had the stainless steel coated ones. Didn’t want those because they will rust over time. And I do like the way they pull down. And disappear in the carpet Iam using.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blkrvrbart

Redecking a Bass Tracker

Post by Blkrvrbart »

Well, it’s done far as I can get it. Need to make the maiden voyage before I hand it over to them. Runs good out of the water, but needs to be ran a while to make sure it’ll restart hot. Hope this has been helpful to someone, and thanks for your help. Let’s go fishing!
Last edited by Blkrvrbart on 15 May 2018, 22:56, edited 3 times in total.

Blkrvrbart

Redecking a Bass Tracker

Post by Blkrvrbart »

gatorglenn wrote:Thanks, yea they are soft. Real easy to strip. Local Fastenal store, and but box store. Didn’t have any. They had the stainless steel coated ones. Didn’t want those because they will rust over time. And I do like the way they pull down. And disappear in the carpet Iam using.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I am serious about stripping out the hole in the decking. As soon as you get through the decking material, before you cut into the framing, stop your drill( or driver) , REVERSE IT, and “strip out” the hole in the decking. After you do that, set your drill or driver to forward and tighten the screw down without stripping the hole in the framing or snapping off the screw. This will tighten down the decking to the framing without leaving a gap or breaking the screw. It takes less time and tools than predrilling. It’ll come easy by the fourth screw.

gatorglenn

Redecking a Bass Tracker

Post by gatorglenn »

Thanks. I thought you meant to predrill.

Blkrvrbart

Redecking a Bass Tracker

Post by Blkrvrbart »

Well, it’s been a year. Lots of flooding around here this spring. Not too great for getting out on the Tracker. But there’s still hope. Hope your fishing days are plentiful.

Blkrvrbart

Redecking a Bass Tracker

Post by Blkrvrbart »

Hey! Well, we took it out a couple times finally last year. Mom enjoyed it. Didn’t catch anything but had fun anyway. It’s been close to two years now. Wow what a difference in history. Our state ran lakes are closed, our local favorite lake was restocked last year after a drain down. Not the best year for fishing. In the meantime, I sold my three seater jet ski and bought a jet boat with a blown motor and repaired that. Twice as many people than the jet ski, more fun for everyone. You can see the progress with that on the jetboaters forum if you want. https://jetboaters.net/threads/2001-tan ... wap.24973/
More work than the old Tracker, that’s for sure. And now that the shelter in place gig is going on, might be a while before we get her out.
I hope you all have a great Easter!

Blkrvrbart

Redecking a Bass Tracker

Post by Blkrvrbart »

Well, it’s been a minute since being on here. Last spring the Tracker got a 24v troller and a different fish finder. Actually got it out three times, and caught a few nice bass each time. The livewell fill tubes are leaking at the hull, and I’m not confident enough to try to weld those myself, so I’m looking for a good tig welder to weld em up. Hope to get it done before spring. Stay warm, and stay positive!

lukeduke07

Redecking a Bass Tracker

Post by lukeduke07 »

HAHA I completely read the title wrong and confused "redecking" with REDNECKING.

Rednecking a Bass Tracker sounds like an oxymoron