Newbie: Moding a Tracker V12

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crashbuilder

Reaction score
Hi there,

I’m new to this forum and boating in general so I hope my questions aren’t too silly.

Some Background
I live in Barbados but I’ve lots of family in the Bahamas …. I try to spend as much time there as possible. I bought a Tracker V12 back in April and had it shipped to Eleuthera. Over the Easter vacation I ran the boat for a few days and decided that tiller steering just wasn’t for me! The boat’s quite stable with two people 1 in the bow the other at the stern; but when I tried to run by myself it was absolutely scary.

On one particular day I ran about 20min down wind did a little fishing and then headed back. There was a slight breeze and light chop but I just couldn’t keep the boat on plane. I’d start to accelerate the bow would go scary high then all of a sudden I’d pop on to plane the boat would start skipping around, I’d start sliding back and forth on the bench seat while trying to keep a straight course. Needless to say, I’d lose my nerve throttle down and start the process all over again; eventually I gave up and just puttered back to the house…. It took about and hour!

Anyway I decided right then and there that at the first opportunity I’d put in a floor/sole, convert her to rotary steering and remote throttle.

Here are some pics:
https://img212.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0boatpicmt3.jpg

https://img359.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sideplanviewstc0.jpg

https://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=constructionsketchtr9.jpg

I’ll be spending 3 weeks with the boat next month and hope to do the conversion then.
Eleuthera is a small island, while there are marine supply places close by they’re expensive so I hope to order everything ahead of time.

A couple of questions:
1. It seems most people are using stainless steel screws to mount things to the hull. So I take it there are no issues with galvanic corrosion or would aluminum screws be better?
https://www.aluminumfastener.com/productsmain20.htm
2. The boat will be used once or twice a year and stored in an enclosed garage for the rest of the year. I was thinking with all that down time carpet over marine ply might be a good way to go. Easy to finish, and lots of time to dry out… any thoughts?
3. The main floor/sole area is only 3 1/2’ x 3 1/4’ will 3/4” marine ply be strong enough without bracing?
4. What do you think of my plan to keep the sole in place? I was figuring on 7-8 sheet metal screws into each bench seat. Any alternate suggestions.
5. I’m planning on doing the console in 1/2” outdoor ply, will several coats of enamel suffice or should I coat with polyester or epoxy resin first?
6. This is the steering system I’m looking at …any thoughts
https://boatstoreusa.com/productdetail.asp?urll=Teleflex_Rotary_SS-137_steering_system_(With_Wheel)&ProductID=780

7. For the throttle I want to use BRP accessories so there are no cable compatibility issues; I’ve been looking at this one part # 0174229 Anyone know if this is suitable for mounting on the right side of console? https://img214.imageshack.us/my.php?image=throttlebf6.jpg

Sorry for all the questions but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome aboard Crashbuilder!

My wife tells me Barbados is beautiful. I would love to go there one day for vacation. Been to Bahamas and would love to go there again! :beer:

Your boat is awesome! Good luck with your mods. I am hoping the experts chime in and give you there opinion.

I must say though..You are planning on sinking allot of money into a 12 footer. The steering alone is allot of $$$. I am not trying to deter you, but are you willing to spend the time and $$$ to use it once or twice per year?

Jim :D

Thanks for the welcome.

“You are planning on sinking allot of money into a 12 footer”

Yeah I know but it’s been my dream for the past 30 yrs to own a boat; now I do and I want to do it up right! I was even considering electric start but that costs more than the hull.

It didn’t seem worth it to have a boat here at home … the fishing pales in comparison to the Bahamas and in Eleuthera there are all sorts of secluded beaches, cays and rocks that are only accessible by water.

Well I’ve got an answer to one of my questions already; called a BRP dealer and he suggested the “Concealed Side Mount” for console applications.

I also got the cost of outdoor carpet in the Bahamas … it’ll cost me @$250 just to do the main sole. Anyone know if that “Speaker Cabinet Carpet” could be used as a substitute …or not durable enough. I might just have to paint it!

welcome. looks like you have some great plans. the steering system you have choosen will work great for sure. It looks extremly nice. I used a teleflex system that is not hydraulic. It was under 200.00 usd, you may be able to save some money by not going hydraulic.

That link to the steering system doesn't seem to be working I'll try again.

https://boatstoreusa.com/productdetail.asp?urll=Teleflex_Rotary_SS-137_steering_system_(With_Wheel)&ProductID=780

I don't know if it designed for rough water but it cuts thru chop quite nicely with two or more people onboard.

Welcome Aboard, and cool rig! I'd steer away from using just plain "speaker cabinet carpet". You may want to find some marine grade carpet (rubber-backed stuff & applied with outdoor carpet glue), as it may hold-up better in the salt water environment.................or, as you mentioned, paint the sole ,using some durable enamel non-skid paint. 8) . You're probably already aware of this, but be sure and give the boat (and trailer if you use one) a good washing/rinsing-off with freshwater when done boating/fishing :)

ben2go said:
Most speaker cabinet/box carpet doesn't have a backing and the carpet that does will hold water and cause mold issues.

Wouldn't carpet w/o a backing hold water under it against whatever it's mounted to, and possibly show wear & tear quicker? Just curious.

Waterwings said:
ben2go said:
Most speaker cabinet/box carpet doesn't have a backing and the carpet that does will hold water and cause mold issues.

Wouldn't carpet w/o a backing hold water under it against whatever it's mounted to, and possibly show wear & tear quicker? Just curious.

Yes,that was the point I was trying to make.I have a hard time getting thought to text. :(

Thanks again for the welcomes

I agree speaker carpet is out. I'll just put on a couple coats of decent marine paint.

Yeah .. wash down and general maintenance are very important in the salt .... I spent the entire last day of my trip washing down the boat, flushing the motor, adding gas treatment and on and on! It is work ... but no pain no gain!

Any input on the other stuff?

Like does anyone have ideas for a really light main sole so I can put some heavy wood up front to balance the boat out. Because as my plans stand the boats balance might move aft a bit ... but at least with this setup I'll have a sole and something to hold on to!

I'm hoping I didn’t overwhelm you guys with all my questions. Maybe I should tackle this in small installments.

The sole is kind of bugging me do you think my method of holding it in place will work? Is there a better solution?

Nice boat! Just setting in the water it appears to be extremely light in the bow. You need to distribute some weight towards the bow. If you mentioned adding a trolling motor & battery (or 2) I missed it, but would be a start.

A couple of questions:
1. It seems most people are using stainless steel screws to mount things to the hull. So I take it there are no issues with galvanic corrosion or would aluminum screws be better?
https://www.aluminumfastener.com/productsmain20.htm
Stainless will be fine, and the stronger choice

2. The boat will be used once or twice a year and stored in an enclosed garage for the rest of the year. I was thinking with all that down time carpet over marine ply might be a good way to go. Easy to finish, and lots of time to dry out… any thoughts?
Seems like materials in your area are somewhat expensive, so I don't think I'd spend the extra for marine-grade plywood, just seal it good prior to applying carpeting. Perhaps some of the truck bed-liner might be a less-expensive option, and it could be washed-off.

3. The main floor/sole area is only 3 1/2’ x 3 1/4’ will 3/4” marine ply be strong enough without bracing?
Not unless the decking sets directly on the floor, which in your boat it won't. So you'll need to add some framing under it for support.

4. What do you think of my plan to keep the sole in place? I was figuring on 7-8 sheet metal screws into each bench seat. Any alternate suggestions.
From what I saw, the sole will set on the floor (on framing) and you'll add something (aluminum or wood) to the top of it, fastened to the side of the seats to hold it (sole) down, looks fine to me. Or use a piece of aluminum angle & let the deck set on it, then screw thru the deck into the angle.

5. I’m planning on doing the console in 1/2” outdoor ply, will several coats of enamel suffice or should I coat with polyester or epoxy resin first?
I believe I would, it'll protect it & make for a nicer finish.

6. This is the steering system I’m looking at …any thoughts
Can't help you there

7. For the throttle I want to use BRP accessories so there are no cable compatibility issues; I’ve been looking at this one part # 0174229 Anyone know if this is suitable for mounting on the right side of console? https://img214.imageshack.us/my.php?image=throttlebf6.jpg
Looks like you've already got an answer, but I couldn't have been of help there either.

Sorry for all the questions but any input would be greatly appreciated.
No need to be (sorry), there's a great bunch here who are more than willing to help, offer advice, and more than willing to give a pat on the back

ST

Wow ... thanks so much for all the input.

I'll take my time and digest it.

I''ll be sure to post as other questions arise.

If i take this approach:

"use a piece of aluminum angle & let the deck set on it, then screw thru the deck into the angle"

Will aluminum 3/16" pop rivets be adequate?

Bear in mind that the sole will really rest on the chines and the sole is then screwed to the aluminum angle so it stays put.

3/16" (every 3-4" or so) would be fine, but I'd use stainless steel rivets & back them (behind the seat if you can reach them) with stainless steel washers.

ST

Hi guys, mw again ....

I’m making some progress. I’m currently in Vancouver and managed to get a local dealer to order my BRP parts. So I’m currently in possession of the remote conversion kit, control cables and a concealed port / starboard control unit.

Well, as usual, I’ve got more questions.

I got this control unit:

https://img232.imageshack.us/my.php?image=remotecontroldz3.jpg

BRP Part # 5006561

Problem is when I check the manual it indicates that that the body (casing) of the controller can only be mounted + or – 30 degrees from horizontal. I don’t get it. The interface between the lever and the control box is a series of notches or splines and the lever mechanism allows 180 degrees of movement. Why can’t I mount the control box vertically and shoot my cables straight down under the sole? Isn’t it just a matter of aligning the lever and splines so that neutral is in the vertical position?

I don’t know if I’ve explained that very well, but it seems if the lever can be positioned on the splines to accommodate a total of 60 degrees of casing alignment. Why can’t I just mount the casing vertically (90 degrees) and position the lever to suit?

If I have to exit the console at -30 degrees, in a center console configuration, I’ll be forever stepping over the cables … not clean. I want to go straight down, inside the console, and then start my bends under the sole. It’s a small boat; I want all cables, in the cockpit area, under the sole.

Any ideas / suggestions?

PS: getting to the backside of the bench seats will be virtually impossible so straight pop rivets .. I guess

Well just got back from the Bahamas on Tuesday. What a pain in the butt. Trying to do these mods in the backwoods of the Bahamas was really frustrating.

I was looking forward to 2 weeks of leisurely building and fishing but what I got was 14 days of stress. I traveled with some basic tools, fasteners and 2 x 2 aluminum angle. But I was completely unprepared for the obstacles I would face.

No 3/4” marine ply was available so I had to use 1/2” with 1”x2” battens for stiffening. This ate up about 40 of my SS screws.

No Epoxy resin available had to use polyester.

Velcro sanding disks just weren’t up to the task of heavy duty sanding

Every time I needed something I had to drive 45 min then take a ferry to the next island. That sure used up a lot of time and energy.

The throttle and shift cables I bought in Vancouver were the wrong ones. Turns out the Johnson 15hp 4 stroke uses different cables from the rest of the engine line.

Well the list goes on and on; but I did make some progress. I’d really hoped to get her in the water this trip but I’d say I was easily 2 days off that goal.

Anyway the soles are in, the console is complete (except for the remote control), the trailer was shortened and the steering works.

I need a vacation!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 605
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 606
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 608
  • 4.jpg