Safe travelling speed on 8 inch tires?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Houndlab

Reaction score
Hello, I am a first-time owner of a boat and trailer. The boat is a lowe 1457, so it is relatively light. The trailer has 8-inch tires on it. My concern is safety. Should I expect any trouble traveling at 50-60 mph with this light load? If I switch to 12-inch tires, will this be safer?

Traveling at those speeds and weight is not usually an issue, I do it all the time. What size are your bearings? One of my trailers had 3/4" spindles and bearings on that trailer I didn't go fast or far. I have since upgraded the axle to 1-1/16" spindles and bearings.

I don't think you will have trouble as long as the tires aren't dry rotted, tire pressure is kept up, and axles are greased. I have ran 65 on the interstate for 2+ hours pulling my 1436 polar craft with 1" spindles, 8" USA made tires. Carlisle USA trail. The only American made 8" trailer tire that I could find. I have only had mine since last winter but has been good so far. Tires get warm but not too hot. We will see this summer in 95° SC heat...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Traveling at those speeds and weight is not usually an issue, I do it all the time. What size are your bearings? One of my trailers had 3/4" spindles and bearings on that trailer I didn't go fast or far. I have since upgraded the axle to 1-1/16" spindles and bearings.

That’s a good question. I don’t know but I’m looking forward to finding out. I don’t plan on going fast, but I would like to keep my range open. Thanks!

ClemsonAlum said:
I don't think you will have trouble as long as the tires aren't dry rotted, tire pressure is kept up, and axles are greased. I have ran 65 on the interstate for 2+ hours pulling my 1436 polar craft with 1" spindles, 8" USA made tires. Carlisle USA trail. The only American made 8" trailer tire that I could find. I have only had mine since last winter but has been good so far. Tires get warm but not too hot. We will see this summer in 95° SC heat...

You’re not kidding-I’m in Florida and it isn’t much cooler down here. Thanks for the reply. It’s encouraging to hear that I won’t be limited to 45 mph.

Yeah no prob. I think most 8" trailer tires are load range C and rated for 62 MPH, but I would double check what your tires are stamped on the sidewall.Screenshot_20200505-211803_Chrome.jpg

There is the 5.70x8 load range B rated at 715 pounds at 50psi. 1430 pounds for a pair.
I don't know what it's speed rating is.

ClemsonAlum said:
Yeah no prob. I think most 8" trailer tires are load range C and rated for 62 MPH, but I would double check what your tires are stamped on the sidewall.Screenshot_20200505-211803_Chrome.jpg

Wow! 62 would be nice. I understand that would be a max limit, if that’s the rating. I’d be happy going 50. Not in a hurry to get places; I just leave early.

Latest posts