Stern Pad

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gesthuntn

Reaction score
Has anyone here used one of these. I just picked up one to use on my new boat that I don't want to drill holes in. I have to mount my transducer and think this will work good.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

Works, albeit an expen$ive option when you can do the same thing with an $8 cutting board from Walmart. I’ve never drilled a hole below the waterline in any of my boats for a transducer, not even the FRP ones.

Not sure what a stern pad is (I'll look it up) but when drilling holes I've always used 5200 to fill in around the screws and have never had a problem. My last boat was 2005 made of glass (if that helps) and it's still running well today, just saw it docked at the guys house I sold it to last year.

Just looked up a stern pad, if you can use glue to keep it mounted I'd go that route, never want to put in extra holes, especially if the boat stays in the water. Like I said, I've never had a problem with 5200, but glass is not the same as alum.

Have we determined that 5200 alone, will hold a stern pad (cutting board) to the stern of an aluminum boat? The cutting boards are textured and I'm little concerned. Was planning to use the 7-day cure stuff over the winter. I was going to back the trailer to a wall and wedge a 2X4 against the glued pad and let it sit for a week.

tucker99 said:
Have we determined that 5200 alone, will hold a stern pad (cutting board) to the stern of an aluminum boat? The cutting boards are textured and I'm little concerned. Was planning to use the 7-day cure stuff over the winter. I was going to back the trailer to a wall and wedge a 2X4 against the glued pad and let it sit for a week.

I would attach with both 2 screws and the 5200 personally. The whole point of the pad is so you can move the 'ducer mount all over the place or attach more ducers. You should see how many holes my 'ducer mounting pad has in it! Only two through the boat though.

Not sure what OP's product is, either, but I completely agree with the idea of no holes in the transom...or elsewhere. For many years I've always found a block of hardwood about 1¼" thick x whatever dimension is needed for the transducer (or whatever) install and epoxied it to the transom, then faired it to the bottom. Mount your transducer on that and no worries about water intrusion. I used the same idea to mount chocks and tie downs on the deck to locate my gas tank and hold it solid.

If you ever need to remove them, a sharp chisel and a mallet pops them right off. Drilling holes and driving screws in fiberglass is a real no-no. The glass won't hold the screws well - it crumbles - and they "will" leak.

You'd be surprised at how hard it can be to find a small piece of suitable wood. Pine or similar works, but is really too soft and I hate to buy a whole board of maple or whatever to cut a small piece out of.....I'm a cheapskate and a waste not. What's worked well for me is to go to a cabinet shop and explain my need. Every single one I've gone to has given me a scrap of hardwood for no charge....and they seem to get a chuckle out of it.

There is a product called Stern Saver Transducer Mounts that is basically a rectangular piece of thick plastic that can be mounted without the need to drill through the transom. I saw it at a sportsman's show a few years back. It has holes in the back of the block to give the glue a better bite. To me the product was kind of pricey, and I would probably make my own. But I thought I would toss it out here if you want to take a look -- for ideas if nothing else.

LDUBS said:
There is a product called Stern Saver Transducer Mounts that is basically a rectangular piece of thick plastic that can be mounted without the need to drill through the transom. I saw it at a sportsman's show a few years back. It has holes in the back of the block to give the glue a better bite. To me the product was kind of pricey, and I would probably make my own. But I thought I would toss it out here if you want to take a look -- for ideas if nothing else.

Mine is the one that Bass Pro sells for $20, it comes with two counter sunk holes for oval heads to be used. I believe it also has grooves in the back if you choose to only use adhesive.
20180620_180555-M.jpg

jethro said:
LDUBS said:

Mine is the one that Bass Pro sells for $20, it comes with two counter sunk holes for oval heads to be used. I believe it also has grooves in the back if you choose to only use adhesive.
20180620_180555-M.jpg

Slight detour here. You know, this question comes up so often here on TB you would think it would be a great place for these guys to advertise their transom pad products -- with a discount of course!

Latest posts