Hiking

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Are any of you into Hiking?
The family and I are just starting to wet our feet with it and are truly enjoying it. There are some nice mountains in the New England area, but we are only really doing the easy trails and not the too difficult trails just yet.

Yesterday we climbed to the summit of Mt Wachusett. I am a little sore for sure today. It actually took us longer to get down then it did to go up because of the leaves and stuff. :LOL2:

Our current house, at an elevation of 538', is at the base of Mt Diablo that juts up to 3,850'. It is a State Park and popular hiking destination with a lot of different trails and rock formations that make it interesting. It is remarkable to see sea shell fossils in the rocks on a mountain.

I no longer have the "wheels" to do any serious hikes, but when the kids were still at home we spent a lot time time doing day treks on the mountain.

I live at the edge of the foothills of the Mogollon/Pinos Altos Mtns in SW New Mexico and hike almost constantly, tho' I'm being forced to slow down some now by my body - I'll be 78 in 2 weeks.

Carry lots of water - on my 1st climb up Cooke's Peak - 2,400 ft elevation gain in 2½ miles - I drank 70 ounces of fluids and it wasn't enuf. Trying to catch up with dehydration after a hike is a miserable chore and very uncomfortable.

In the current transitional season, I always carry a fleece vest tucked into the straps of my back pack and warm gloves in the pack, JIC and don't wear shorts. When I climbed 14,278 ft Gray's Peak in CO in Sept. 2007, I carried a jacket and poncho because of the forecast - and it got very cold and windy in mid-day. That mountain was crowded that day and I was the "only" one I saw with a jacket. Many people turned around and retreated, with blotchy legs and frozen hands. I didn't. That was the end of the season - it snowed the next day.

(I really dislike this forum's system of attaching pictures) Picture is at the summit of Gray's Peak. Wind is blowing the poncho sideways and it was cold. People get too fanatical about weight savings. To a point, I agree - don't carry anything un-necessary, but don't sacrifice comfort or safety for the sake of a few ounces. I "always" carry an emergency kit - detailed in another post - on all hikes now, too, mostly because of my age. It gives me fire, shelter, food, water and light in an emergency and weighs less than 5#.

Haha.....weight savings.....in 1969, a girlfriend and I hiked into Rainbow Camp in Big Sur, CA and spent the night. Maybe a dozen others there and you should've seen the outraged faces on those purists when I put 2 cans of beer in the river to cool off. :D That nice, cool brew really hit the spot and was only a 24 oz weight penalty on the hike in only. We did carry the crushed cans out with us.

Good boots are a given. Fuss with them in the store and get a perfect fit. Balls of my feet are wide, heels are narrow, so I have a hard time. Unless you're very fit, pay attention to the weight of them. My 2# (each) heavy hikers feel like workout weights on the trail and I seldom wear them now. I don't like the cutesy little hiking sticks Columbia and others sell, but I do carry a lightweight 6 ft hiking staff (made from a Yucca flower/seed stem) that I can really lean into when needed. At my age, balance and equilibrium aren't as good and it's saved me from many a nasty fall - but not all, unhappily. It's great when crossing streams, too.

Something you never hear about but makes a huge difference....your hip/leg muscles. If you're wearing a belt, press in right below the belt and you'll feel where the powerful thigh muscles attach to the hip bone/pelvis. Push in hard and walk across the room. You can feel those big muscles flexing. Same with butt muscles. Now strap a tight belt across them. The belt restricts the movement and impedes circulation. On a highly stressed hike, that belt will wear you out - wear suspenders to get the pressure off and let those muscles move freely.

Attachments

• 7004.JPG
    7004.JPG
    406.4 KB · Views: 436
Jim, if you are just at the beginning of getting in shape,consider taking an aspirin (or similar ache reliever) BEFORE you do the exercise. As you tear muscle tissue in the start which then rebuilds into stronger muscle, the aspirin is already working to help relieve the pain.

I learned this years ago when a guy I worked with decided, at age 35, to learn Judo. Twice a week he'd come into the office muttering about the 22 year-old kids who threw him around the dojo the night before. He studied every bit of pain relief available to modern science at the time.

Have fun, once in shape, stay that way; it's a much longer climb back if you let it go.

Trust me.

I was a hiking/backpacking addict when I was younger. Every single weekend was spent either in the White Mountains of NH or the NY Adirondacks. Didn't matter if it was summer or winter, spring or fall. I still have the calf muscles to prove it, but the rest of me has gotten pretty doughy.

I did a short hike in the White Mountains a few years ago and it's a different world today. There are SCORES of people hiking these days. Used to be I'd see people very rarely, but now it's a constant stream of people on the trails. I think I could go to the mall and see less people. In Franconia Notch they have to bus people in to the trailheads since the parking is so inadequate for the amount of people.

Actually, I have been working out on a daily basis, walking around 10 miles per day broken up over 3 sessions. Usually 3-4 miles in the morning, 2-3 miles at lunch, and then 3-5 after dinner. It helps that I have to walk the dogs. My wife also has me doing this 10 minute morning yoga/stretch thing on youtube and that really has improved my flexibility....I can't believe it. :LOL2:

My journey started at 400 pounds, and now Im hovering in the 215 area.

I also started to "jog" at a snails pace because my knees bother me. :LOL2:

The Hiking was awesome because it was new, refreshing, outdoors and not the same circle I do on my daily walks/jogs.

You've lost almost 200# ?? Man, that's wonderful. Hiking opens up a whole new world and there are destinations everywhere.

When I lived in Palm Springs, CA from '96 to '06, I looked on maps, Google Earth a lot, read hiking stories and watched YouTubes for ideas on destinations. P.S. is at the base of the San Jacinto Mtns, but is otherwise open, flat desert. After a few years, I could show local people picture stories of where I'd been and many didn't believe those places were in that area - and they'd lived there all their lives. East of the - very flat, barren and featureless Salton Sea - is a fairyland of canyons, grottoes, colorful strata, etc. that you'd never guess were there. Even on the south side of town within city limits there are pockets of oases in very rugged canyons that are completely unexpected and almost unknown.....but you gotta work for them.

I was introduced to GeoCaching while in P.S. and have continued with it in New Mexico, to my great benefit. There are many places here, hidden back in the canyons that I'd never have thought to explore if not for GeoCaching, and some - old Indian ruins, old prospector sites, old mines, etc., that aren't generally known - are fascinating and historical. (New Mexico is not all flat desert - most is very rugged and mountainous and very beautiful) The GC also gives a focus for a hike into a new area.

Many times, I've seen something on Google Earth that looked interesting, so set the waypoints into my GPS, then go and try to get to it - usually cross-country and off-trail. It's made for some...interesting....and rugged....adventures. I'm a sucker for elevation - nothing like summiting a new peak.

Jim said:
Actually, I have been working out on a daily basis, walking around 10 miles per day broken up over 3 sessions. Usually 3-4 miles in the morning, 2-3 miles at lunch, and then 3-5 after dinner. It helps that I have to walk the dogs. My wife also has me doing this 10 minute morning yoga/stretch thing on youtube and that really has improved my flexibility....I can't believe it. :LOL2:

My journey started at 400 pounds, and now Im hovering in the 215 area.

I also started to "jog" at a snails pace because my knees bother me. :LOL2:

The Hiking was awesome because it was new, refreshing, outdoors and not the same circle I do on my daily walks/jogs.

Thanks for sharing this. I was too heavy before covid. Too much sitting and eating during this lockdown got me another 15 pounds for a total of 277. So, I'm now committed to dropping to a target of 230# (which target is because that is what I weighed in HS). I'm also benefitting from my wife's guidance. Now 5 weeks later I'm at 263#. I try to be active, but I think this loss is mainly from just improving my eating habits. Funny thing is, while we have cut out some of my favorite foods, because we put more effort into flavor, etc I'm actually enjoying meals more. Anyway, I'm impressed with your physical activity.

Nice work and congratulations to both you gentlemen!!!

As a noted nutritionist once said, "Losing weight means a life change."

Really well done!

=D> =D> =D>

Funny how related things pop up. I have a friend here in his 50's who's hiked this country all his life and is an encyclopedia of knowledge. Several of us were talking just 2 days ago and I mentioned this topic. Can't remember quite what got it going, but was met with skepticism and stares when I commented on proper boot lacing - from lifelong hikers.

Most hiking boots have a double row of lace holes that we're all familiar with. Most also have 2 pairs of lacing hooks at the top. To be effective and give proper support to the feet, the boots need to be snug and solid on the feet, but not so tight as to cause cramps or impede circulation. Work the laces up thru the holes till the boot feels good on the foot, then, holding the lace solid, hook it in the lower set of hooks.

Those hooks (most of them) are tapered and when the lace is snugged down into them, they'll hold the lace solidly in that position - thereby maintaining the tension/adjustment you've put on the footbed. Then pull the lace to bring the upper portion of the boot snugly around the ankle and hook the upper pair of hooks and snug it down. This will hold the top of the boot snugly around the ankle to keep debris out of the boot and still allow the boot to give ankle support and maintain flexibility without irritating the foot.

There's a lot of room for adjustment and experimentation - we're all different. My feet, as I said earlier, are wide across the ball and narrow-er in the heel. They are also bony - no padding at all - and have very prominent, very hard tendons that don't like pressure. When I'm breaking in a new pair of boots, I pay very, very careful attention to tightness of laces all the way up, and esp. on the top of my foot where it bends in front of the ankle.

Sometimes with new boots, the tongue will want to lay off to the side and not give any padding to the top of the foot under the laces. I have 2 pair right now (out of 3) that I took a stitching awl to, to anchor the tongues on one side to hold them in proper position to do their job. A dab of hot melt glue might do the same job.

Talking to my buddy last night on phone, he told me they're all fooling with it and getting good results. Try it - you'll like it.

Jim said:
I am looking to get a pair of inexpensive "hiking" kind of boots/shoes as my $40 Adidas will not cut it. :LOL2:
Dayum, the Kittery Trading Post just ended their 7% off tent sale ... you missed it! I like Merrills but there are soooooo many brands out there today. For your use, I think a light-weight, ankle-height boot would suffice.

Oh, and CONGRATS on the weight loss, I'm sooooo happy for you! We only get one chance at this life, so yes, go out for it and get what YOU deserve! And being healthy will go a long way to helping.

DaleH said:
Jim said:
I am looking to get a pair of inexpensive "hiking" kind of boots/shoes as my $40 Adidas will not cut it. :LOL2:
Dayum, the Kittery Trading Post just ended their 7% off tent sale ... you missed it! I like Merrills but there are soooooo many brands out there today. For your use, I think a light-weight, ankle-height boot would suffice.

Oh, and CONGRATS on the weight loss, I'm sooooo happy for you! We only get one chance at this life, so yes, go out for it and get what YOU deserve! And being healthy will go a long way to helping.

My son works at Bobs clothing stores, I am going to go check out what they have there for Merrill’s, columbia, or other hiking shoes, and take advantage of his 20% discount. :lol:

Don't go cheap on the hiking shoes - quality boots / shoes help so much

And please, no posting photos of you doing Yoga :oops: [-X :sick:

Captain Ahab said:

My back issues are almost gone. I can’t believe it...honestly, 10 minutes every morning has changed me like you won’t believe.

Anyway, I plan on spending a little money on quality shoes for sure, I’ve had plantar issues in the past, so I’m a little sensitive to that. :lol:

Jim said:
Captain Ahab said:

My back issues are almost gone. I can’t believe it...honestly, 10 minutes every morning has changed me like you won’t believe.

Anyway, I plan on spending a little money on quality shoes for sure, I’ve had plantar issues in the past, so I’m a little sensitive to that. :lol:

I had the plantar that one trip in Delaware - lasted about 2 weeks (Jim and his golf ball fixed it along with a few stretches).

Never ever came back - weird.

I hiked bar Harbor / Mt. Desert Island / Acadia many years ago in sneakers for a week - ouch! Bought good hikers (I think I got LL Bean) with a solid midsole, this is the key, get a good solid midsole and it protects your foot. A stiff boot won’t allow your foot to wear out by wrapping around every rock or tree root you step on.

I started backpacking 60 years ago. I had an outdoor career. Then I got older and started to have some trouble getting around in the mountains, especially going uphill.

Recently I was diagnosed with some heart issues like AFib. I got the rhythm reset and the instructions from the cardiologist were to get 45 minutes of vigorous exercise 6 days a week. I started hiking with my dog out behind the house in the desert where we have a million acres of BLM land. In the last 8 weeks there has been a big change. I can walk fast without stopping to catch my breath. I can climb hills much better. I feel much more normal. I do not have to give backpacking at age 70 after all. I am going to avoid hiking above about 8,000 feet with a pack.

Get out there. Start slowly. Your joints will improve with time. Your clothes will fit better. You will live longer.

Hiking? Sure. I have been serious about it for 60 years. I had an outdoor career. The first thing you learn in forestry school is there are no trails most of the places you need to go. Trails are over rated.

Now I am 70 have been diagnosed with some heart issues. Got my hart rhythm reset, and now I take 3 kinds of drugs and hike almost every day on a million acres of BLM out behind the house. Now I can hike fast again. Climbing hills is much easier. Thanks to the Mountain Gods for still being able to go out there.

I was reminded of this thread a couple of days ago when I took my little dog for a fitness hike on local Boston Hill. Just a 1/2 mile up fairly steep to an Amethyst outcrop, then back down, but within a couple of 100 yds, my thighs started giving out. I have severe problems with Spinal Stenosis now, so thought that was hitting me, then I realized that I'd forgotten to loosen my belt.

I'd put my shoulder holster on before starting and that's what I use for suspenders now. Slim hipped and with no butt - I'm 6'0" & 170# - the belt has to be tight to hold my pants up. No problem around the house or at the market, but as I said earlier, very bad on a hike.....the thigh & butt muscles Must be free to flex. I loosened my belt to where the waistband of my pants was floating on my hips and it was instant relief. I galloped on up that hill like I was 40 again.

Latest posts