Winter projects? Almost spring

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ahab

Reaction score
Anyone do anything cool to the boat or tackle while waiting for spring?

I am repurposing my striper lures to chase muskie. Changing some hooks to thinner wire and repainting to trout patterns (just brush painting to change colors not fancy or nice)

Mostly doing some magic swimmers and stick shad

Also I plan on making some bass topwater flat black as I killed with that last year, out performed all other colors even the gloss black. I think they see that profile at night really well

My boat has about 4 feet of snow in it so that will have to wait :cry:

I ordered a bunch of hook bonnets on Amazon (Al's Goldfish Lure Co American Made Hook Bonnets) and put them on all my crankbaits. It’s amazing how many more lures you can fit into one 3700 size box. No more tangled treble hooks or holes in my fingers. Those things are great. As soon as the boat is free of snow I’ll be installing my new Lowrance Elite Ti2. Can hardly wait to hook it up to my Motorguide xi3 and take advantage of some the navigation features.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I started painting lures this winter to pass the time and to repair 20 year old lures.
Not very good at it but, I’m having a blast doing it.
Before
8B834043-622C-47B0-BDA9-89E4794D8F47.jpeg
After

38024432-BE8A-4024-88E9-AF3A9DF3DB2B.jpeg
A few I’ve painted over the winter.

E6A03B90-0272-4610-BDB7-23C88DC668EA.jpeg
DDE2F7D4-3656-4C3D-B009-592A4F5C7043.jpeg

EB8269DD-FA6E-4028-91E2-3AB4D7D1DCAA.jpeg

Lots of trial and error and failures but, learning all the time.

Those lures look great. Impressive! You ought to post your process; I know I'd be interested in seeing it. I'm not likely to take up that kind of thing, I know where my weaknesses are!
I just go on you tube and watch everything I can.
My color pallet is black and white so anything else is a shot in the dark.
There are some craftsmen that make these things look so real…
I will never be that person.

I ordered a bunch of hook bonnets on Amazon (Al's Goldfish Lure Co American Made Hook Bonnets) and put them on all my crankbaits. It’s amazing how many more lures you can fit into one 3700 size box. No more tangled treble hooks or holes in my fingers. Those things are great.
I tried the Al's - went back to Owner....they're more expensive, but have a pull knob so you're not in danger of poking your finger taking the bonnet off.

Almost spring? This was taken this morning...my front door.
Front door-1.jpg

I think you are understating your abilities. Very nice work! Some interesting color combos. I hope you post which ones catch fish. My money is on that spatterback bait.

I have no painting ability but have bought many lures from guys who do, or had them repaint baits to favorite patterns that have been discontinue. My unsolicited advice is that you cannot go wrong using the best clear coat you can get, and let the painted baits cure very well. But you probably know that already.

I think you are understating your abilities. Very nice work! Some interesting color combos. I hope you post which ones catch fish. My money is on that spatterback bait.

I have no painting ability but have bought many lures from guys who do, or had them repaint baits to favorite patterns that have been discontinue. My unsolicited advice is that you cannot go wrong using the best clear coat you can get, and let the painted baits cure very well. But you probably know that already.
This was my first one I did.
Third cast and was hooked..

5AC16C1A-AD7B-4F93-BAD9-67454ABB7806.jpeg
3,600 lb epoxy better keep the pickerel at bay lol

Latest posts