57 - 58 Johnson badges

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaugh

Reaction score
I decided to try to mold them from marine epoxy. It's been difficult because that highly detailed mold is a real challenge ....but I'm finally getting my method and materials down...

ELJU9914.JPG

They have a few tiny bubbles and flaws but each one gets a little better:
GMDG1694.JPG

I've got the painting method figured out too...
VBPX8231.JPG

These aren't going to be as pretty as the originals but they're a lot better looking than most originals are now..... Each one takes hours of work spread over severals days... will post photos when I have some finished...

first coats of gold:

AWWJ6636.jpg

finished. Just need to polish when it's fully dried:

IMG_E4455.JPG

I've been experimenting with different shades of gold paint, and the color of the paint behind the gold. That's something most people don't realize. Even several coats of paint is thin enough to almost see through. The color of what's behind the paint is very important. They say the best metallic paint job is done over a black surface.

Every gold paint on the market is a different shade. I'm thinking the very yellow gold in the middle is the way to go from now on...

XOZL0121.JPG

Like most of my "Get Rich Quick" ideas, I'd be hard pressed to make something approaching minimum wage if I counted my time. Would do better to get a 2nd job at McDonalds...

As of now I have a few done... in every color of the rainbow and each with it's share of small bubbles and flaws.... I wonder when the last time this many of them were on a table together....

IMG_4507.JPG

It's been fun to learn how to make them.... I guess I'll sell these off cheap on ebay... eventually I'll get more reliable results....

Shaugh, a long time ago I watched some videos on the use of casting resins for tables, etc. I know these emblems are thicker than the typical coating on a table or ?
In those videos I watched the use of a propane torch near the surface of the resin to remove bubbles. Is that something useful to you?

Yes a torch is part of my process.. before pouring into the mold I dump the mixed resin (which looks like a cup of 7 up)....into a pie tin so it can flow out thin. The torch quickly removes the bubbles before I pour.... But, I'm guessing more bubbles form inside the mold during the curing process. The only way to get rid of them is to spend $200 on a pressure chamber to cure in.... Not sure I'm that committed yet....

If I see that enough people want these I'll probably do it. Even though my early tests aren't perfect, they're still way better condition than most originals I've seen. Do you think I can sell them for $40 ?

I would say $40-$50 would be well in the ballpark as I have seen perfect originals go for up to $100 on Ebay.
When you are ready I would contact AOMCi in the advertising section and see what kind of response you get.
There is also advertising available in the Classifieds in the AOMCi magazine.
I really cannot see why you would not be able to have pretty good success considering that replica "DECALS" are being sold to take the place of broken emblems at a price that is not far off of yours.

That sounds good Pappy, thanks. I have the first batch just about done... should be about 10... I'm waiting for a dry day to give them a coat of automotive clear.. that should cover some imperfections and make them nice and durable. Once I have them ready to sell I'll let you know. Some of the bad ones I'll probably try at 30... best at 50.

He told me the gold was too dark... said he'd let me know... haven't heard since. I'll put them on ebay... send him a link...

I put a few up on Ebay. Just do a search for : Johnson OMC Golden Seahorse Emblem

Sold the first 4 in a few hours... I spent some extra time making a special one for your friend with a 2 tone look closer to an original. I haven't heard back from him... maybe he found one...

IMG_E4577.JPG

I'll hang on to it for a while..

I talked to him.. will send it to him next week.

I'll send you a few... let me get some more good ones made... gonna try to standardize on that last one.

Latest posts