Johnson J30JREE JET

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 21074

Reaction score
Are these motors still rated at the power head?1999 motor.I know the old 50/35 they use to sell noticeably different size in photos I see.Person selling thinks it’s bigger than 30hp but I tend to not agree,but not sure.

I know johnnyrude went from powerhead to propshaft rating in 84. So if it's a 30 HP powerhead, that is with a prop. With a jet it's likely closer to 20hp equivalent. A pic would be helpful.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Thanks.I also see these with the 20 hp decal on them from factory and actually had hands on one the other day at a local marina for sale.but I think they had a 25hp power head. I think I even saw one called a 18hp at some point.

I think a factory jet motor is the rating at the jet. Meaning with a prop, it’s likely a 40hp power head.

wmk0002 said:
I just tried looking on boats.net. Seems to me the 30jet shares the same power head as the 40/50 prop motors.

Check the link and see if that’s the right model number. If it is, click the bottom part in the list and look at the other models the power head fits.
https://www.boats.net/catalog/johnson/outboard-by-year/1999/j30jreem/cylinder-amp-crankcase

Thanks. Think you nailed it.I had started to look on Marine engine but got sidetracked.I would love to have this motor and make it a remote. It’s on a boat that is bigger than I want to buy.Would love to put it on a 15 ft Alweld I am looking at.

Yeah it would be nice if you could get a boat that had a true jet tunnel hull to really get the full functionality out of the jet.

Looks like you may have the ability to turn the 40 power head into a 50 with some carb/intake swaps too.

Want to make it remote?

Attachments

• F3589797-EC00-4AA5-9F03-E475F2A7A55E.jpeg
    F3589797-EC00-4AA5-9F03-E475F2A7A55E.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 170
  • 829183B1-7412-4A9C-8B0C-1E4781A3654A.jpeg
    829183B1-7412-4A9C-8B0C-1E4781A3654A.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 170
One thing you need to think about with the jets is that the smaller motors also have a smaller size jet pump so even if you bumped the hp up 5-10 hp it would still be pushing the water through a smaller pump. The 60/45 and 60/40 have a larger pump than the 40/30 motors. Once you have a couple of people in the boat, it will be a lot harder for the small motor to push the boat through the water. I'm not sure what size pump the 50/35 motors use, you should be able to go the outboardjets web site and look that up. On my 16' Lowe my 60/45 is more than enough when I'm by myself and I only need to run at half to 2/3 throttle which is nice. When I have 2 more people in the boat, it really needs the 60/45 to be able to run upstream at a decent speed. Prop boats don't feel the affect of the extra weight as much as jet boats do.

Can't help with the remote conversion, however, there are a lot of these motors out there so I'd imagine whatever controls are needed are probably readily available. If you don't plan on hanging onto the tiller you may be able to find someone to trade with who is doing the opposite conversion. I would imagine you will need some pretty long cables though if you want a forward mounted center console.

Not sure where you are but I have a friend in Southern MO that has a long shaft remote that would gladly trade controls for the tiller setup.
If you end up not buying it, please send me a PM.
Thanks

rktman said:
Not sure where you are but I have a friend in Southern MO that has a long shaft remote that would gladly trade controls for the tiller setup.
If you end up not buying it, please send me a PM.
Thanks

Thanks. Will do.

JL8Jeff said:
One thing you need to think about with the jets is that the smaller motors also have a smaller size jet pump so even if you bumped the hp up 5-10 hp it would still be pushing the water through a smaller pump. The 60/45 and 60/40 have a larger pump than the 40/30 motors. Once you have a couple of people in the boat, it will be a lot harder for the small motor to push the boat through the water. I'm not sure what size pump the 50/35 motors use, you should be able to go the outboardjets web site and look that up. On my 16' Lowe my 60/45 is more than enough when I'm by myself and I only need to run at half to 2/3 throttle which is nice. When I have 2 more people in the boat, it really needs the 60/45 to be able to run upstream at a decent speed. Prop boats don't feel the affect of the extra weight as much as jet boats do.
. Thanks for feedback. Helps in my decision making.

Ask the owner which pump is on the motor. There is a tag on the main jet pump portion with a 2 letter code. It looks like those older Johnson/Evinrude use the AF or AB pumps and they look like they are 6-1/8" impeller pumps. My 60/45 jet has the 6-7/8 pump I think. Mine is missing the tag so I can't be sure without opening it up.
http://outboardjets.com/jet-kit-instructions/

JL8Jeff said:
Ask the owner which pump is on the motor. There is a tag on the main jet pump portion with a 2 letter code. It looks like those older Johnson/Evinrude use the AF or AB pumps and they look like they are 6-1/8" impeller pumps. My 60/45 jet has the 6-7/8 pump I think. Mine is missing the tag so I can't be sure without opening it up.

I was looking last night at motor but didn’t think to look at any numbers,but it probably is smaller pump. He did say it may need new liner at some point. Shimmed whole way he thought. He only owned it a year or so. I was told by Mercury dealer about bigger pump.Your Lowe is a riveted model.

newyota said:
JL8Jeff said:

I was looking last night at motor but didn’t think to look at any numbers,but it probably is smaller pump. He did say it may need new liner at some point. Shimmed whole way he thought. He only owned it a year or so. I was told by Mercury dealer about bigger pump.Your Lowe is a riveted model.

No, my Lowe is welded and a jet tunnel hull. It has the Lowe center console which is pretty narrow. I wouldn't want anything narrower than a 1652 like mine if running a center console. 1655 to 1660 is a great mid range size for a mod v hull. Edge boats makes a 1556 which is shorter but their boats are pricey.

Thanks. I don’t understand why more boats aren’t made with some type of center steering. It just seems to make more sense to me.