Weldorthemagnificent

Re: Float pods

Post by Weldorthemagnificent »

Clamp on outriggers

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Lowrider1

Float pods

Post by Lowrider1 »

That's what #1 son said...although your response certainly lends wisdom to the idea. We were talking about 6" or 8" PVC pipe maybe 4' long and just flip them over the side with an adjustable rod or 2 on each side to stabilize the boat. Or, hinged frame that could be locked up and down. Pull them back up when it's time to head home. I suppose both of you could be right and that's feasible.

LDUBS

Float pods

Post by LDUBS »

I'm old, tall (6-4), and not especially agile. My previous boat was a Klamath 15' Advantage. 74" beam. Not too heavy at 250#. I was very comfortable walking around. Me and my two sons were fine on it (in it).

I'm going to join those who have suggested that instead of doing all of those mods, look into a larger boat. I know it is probably easier said than done.
Have Rod - Will Fish

Lowrider1

Float pods

Post by Lowrider1 »

Thanks Ldub...You're correct and we have a trailer borne 1754 that is very stable. The intent here remains something loaded into a pickup bed to hit high mountain lakes. I can fly fish from the shore just fine but like you I can't get around very well anymore and a lot of these lakes have very rocky shores that I can't walk on. 1240 fits in my mid size truck bed and is about 100 lbs which I can slide out and into the truck. I built rollers on a bed extender which works very well. I have kayaks and canoes and stability is still the issue...I can't stand to fish. We are in a storm at the moment and maybe next week I'll go look at some large PVC pipe and that may be a good solution for my little boat. We'll see and thanks for everyone's responses.

LDUBS

Float pods

Post by LDUBS »

Aw, that makes sense. I should have paid more attention to your earlier comments. Now I understand the dilemma. You need a boat small and light enough to manhandle out of your pickup bed but with enough capacity and stability to meet your needs.

If the extra floatation doesn't work, have you thought of one of those roof rack loader gizmos that uses cables and an electric winch? Might allow you to bring a larger boat without a trailer.
Have Rod - Will Fish

fwman1

Float pods

Post by fwman1 »

Take a look at these. They don't look too difficult and would not impede using your truck for transport.

Lowrider1

Float pods

Post by Lowrider1 »

I bought 2 8"x27" boat docking bumpers that I think I can rig up to move up and down on command. They should provide a fair amount of buoyancy on each side. If not, I guess I'll go swimming.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and comments...I'll let you know when it warms up some.

LDUBS

Float pods

Post by LDUBS »

Each would displace about 50 lbs of water. I look forward to seeing how this works for you. You might be blazing a new trail for a lot of folks with similar concerns.
Have Rod - Will Fish

Lowrider1

Float pods

Post by Lowrider1 »

I believe that's adequate buoyancy on each side. I plan on using something similar to the ratcheting system used on most electric boat trolling motors. I have no desire to stand on edge/side of the boat, just to get enough stability to use a leaning post centered in front of my seat and fly fish...hopefully catching a fish now and then. I have a long trout net so no real need to lean over the edge of the boat...or to return fish to the water. I have no feeling in my feet and leg due to Agent Orange exposure so I'm pretty careful getting out of balance...but I wear an inflatable floaty always and am a good swimmer.

I'll see if I'm smart enough to post a picture once I get things working on the boat. Spring is COMING!!!

eeshaw

Float pods

Post by eeshaw »

When I first started bow fishing I had a 1436. I built and put pods on the rear of it and they worked well. The boat used a 9.9 Mercury 4 stroke also with a electric troller up front. The battery was mounted in the front bench. I then passed the boat on to my step son and he and his buddies used it to run ditty lines for flatheads. They loved it. You "maybe" able to use pods on the rear of your boat but they really wouldn't give you the stability you want. They'd increase your load capability and would let it plane ok though. For what you want I'd lean towards the side sponsons and I'd use the irrigation tube, it'll hold up to the rocks better.

Lowrider1

Float pods

Post by Lowrider1 »

Thank ya Sir!
I thought of alum irrigation pipe and guessed PVC would be less likely to bend in rocks. That's one reason why I went with the rubber bumpers. Not a lot of sand beaches in the mountains but lots of rock, mostly round and smooth but some will be sharp when land slides occur.

I went to the 5 hp propane motor for weight mostly. I wanted a new 9.9 mostly so I can use it on other boats also. My old Merc 9.9 sorta died which was a great decision point for my wife to justify a new kicker...it worked but I went with the lighter and smaller one and my #1 son figured it was a good excuse to upgrade the 2 stroke to something closer to 15 hp. Haven't done it yet but am looking at directions and a parts list to get it done. Anyone that has a suggestion or two please let me know.

Lowrider1

Float pods

Post by Lowrider1 »

Almost warm enough to get boats wet. I have been working on my 12' Duraboat and adding a 6 gal tank in the nose to add some weight up front and extra fuel. I'm on the verge of adding a mount up front to set up a bow electric motor which always works better than one on the transom...at least in the wind. I have the tank mounted with just the fill spout above the front deck and mounted under with two steel straps. Might use some spray foam between tank and the sides of the boat to add some buoyance and maybe reduce some sound too. I guess the battery should be under the front seat with a mount and "hatch" in the seat for access the battery and connect the charger. I believe some 0.100 alum plate should be strong enough to support the front mounted electric motor. That's the plan and we'll see how it works.

Kismet

Float pods

Post by Kismet »

Lowrider...looking forward to the pictures and success story you will have to tell.

=D> [-o< =D>
Kis
Enjoy every sandwich

1955 Alumacraft Model A
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 08&start=0
1959 Alumacraft Model F
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=25386
1980 Alumacraft Model F7, 1955-56? Johnson 10hp
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35326
1956 Alumacraft Model RB
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=39249

ruffhunter

Float pods

Post by ruffhunter »

Lowrider,
Unless i missed it, have you had that boat in the water yet and how is it? Curious to how stable or tippy feeling. Looking for a 12ft'er for one row only 400ac lake and few other 400ac or less lake gas and electric only. I had an Alweld 1242V and it was super stable, but thats a more substantially made boat.

poorthang

Float pods

Post by poorthang »

lowrider, thank you for your service. and WHERES DA PICS?