- Evinrude 4.5hp -

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JS60

Reaction score
I just picked her up last weekend, and she looks to have low hours.
The first thing I did, was barrel test her, the water pump worked, telltale peed good and she ran at about 1/4 throttle for more than an hour (in gear) on roughly a quart of old fuel that was left in the tank.
Anything you can tell me about these little engines would be appreciated
(I think the series ran from 80-84)

Thanks.

J.

Oh yes, I definitely plan on replacing the water pump, .... (no telling how old that thing is) I was just sharing how impressed I was that she started so easily, and ran so well after sitting for so long.
When I saw how well the pump was still functioning, ... and how smoothly she was purring, ... I decided to let her empty the tank of old fuel. (roughly a quart of fuel maybe about a year old) - The previous owner claimed to have started it last fall, but said he couldn't keep it running. ... And he said she had sat for at least 6 years before that.
While running, I varied the speed up and down from just over idle to up to maybe 1/3 throttle, ... with only a couple of ventures into higher rpms, - (mostly due to prop splash) and it took just over an hour to run that quart of fuel out. - I'm still a little perplexed why she wouldn't run for the PO, but ran great for me.
The barrel water ended up a little warmer than tepid, but not much more, ... and it wasn't real oily either - like one would expect, for a prolonged stint in a barrel.
All in all, I think I may have lucked into a solid little motor with low hours on it.​

Thank you for your quick responses, ... and for your expertise in this matter.

If you think of anything else you believe I should know about this motor, ... I would be glad to hear it.

Thanks,
J.

Latest posts