Water Separater

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eeshaw

Reaction score
Does anyone use a water separater for their engine and use a poratable tank with it? I don't think it would hurt my setup, I'm just wondering if it would be worth the expense.

Sure they do!
Just remember that any separator will only function until the water level touches the filter element then the water will be pulled right through with the fuel. If you are the type that typically does not do checks on a routine basis then go for a larger one. Carry one spare cartridge in the boat with you.

I thought about adding one but I swap motors out a lot and go between 4 and 2 stroke so it just didn't make sense for me. If I had a 100% dedicated motor then I would dor it. And while at it I would delete the quick connect on the motor side and run a fuel line straight between the separator and the motors fuel filter, and leave the quick connect on the tank only.

eeshaw said:
Does anyone use a water separater for their engine and use a poratable tank with it? I don't think it would hurt my setup, I'm just wondering if it would be worth the expense.
I added one after buying a new motor. It shouldn’t hurt your setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had one. My tank is technically portable, but it never leaves the boat.

If you do, buy a good one like a Racor. Mine was a cheap knockoff that worked for a year and started leaking.

Well, if any of you guys would be so kind, I'd like to see your setups. I have a new 40 horse Mercury and would like to use the stock 6 gallon tank I have that came with it. I like the quick connect for attaching it to the engine and would like to have it be removable for filling at the station and being able to place it inside when not being used. I looked at one at the local Lowe dealership but this thing is HUGE and has 4 ports, I assume two inlets and two outlets. I really don't think I need one quite that large. I'm pretty meticulous about taking care of my stuff so the check involved would just become part of my pre-launch checklist. Thanks for the insight guys.

eeshaw said:
Well, if any of you guys would be so kind, I'd like to see your setups. I have a new 40 horse Mercury and would like to use the stock 6 gallon tank I have that came with it. I like the quick connect for attaching it to the engine and would like to have it be removable for filling at the station and being able to place it inside when not being used. I looked at one at the local Lowe dealership but this thing is HUGE and has 4 ports, I assume two inlets and two outlets. I really don't think I need one quite that large. I'm pretty meticulous about taking care of my stuff so the check involved would just become part of my pre-launch checklist. Thanks for the insight guys.

What type of boat do you have? Mine is on a flat bottom. I purchased a cover for it since it gets exposed to the elements. I be happy to get you a picture or two tomorrow if you think it’ll help.

I also have the Yamaha mini fuel/water separator. I mounted it up on the inside of the transom. It doesn't really get in the way and is close to the motor.

Attachments

• Yamaha_water_sep.jpg
    Yamaha_water_sep.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 186
Douglasdzaster said:
eeshaw said:

What type of boat do you have? Mine is on a flat bottom. I purchased a cover for it since it gets exposed to the elements. I be happy to get you a picture or two tomorrow if you think it’ll help.
I'm running a 16 foot flat bottom.
Thanks for the replies. Are the small Yamaha units available on line reasonably?

eeshaw said:
Thanks for the replies. Are the small Yamaha units available on line reasonably?

I got it at my local marine store but they are on Amazon and other places. The full assembly is MAR-MINIF-LT-AS which includes 2 plugs but you need to get the threaded barbs and small hose clamps to connect your fuel lines to it.

https://www.partsvu.com/mar-minif-lt-as-mini-10-fuel-water-filter-assy.html

eeshaw said:
Douglasdzaster said:
eeshaw said:

Mines a 40 hp. Yamaha and the mini works fine for me. If you’re going to run every day you may want the full size. Got mine from Sim Yamaha very reasonable. Also mine is the aluminum. You can spend more for a stainless which I wished I would have. The cover is great protection from the elements. Got it from Amazon. It fits both size filters.I think it’s made by Sierra. I cut the notch in it for the shut off valve you see. I would shut the valve when not running the motor because of the new epa fuel tanks that swell up pushing fuel through my motor.

Attachments

• 438EB2A7-9D36-4C47-B8ED-25B2FF850956.jpeg
    438EB2A7-9D36-4C47-B8ED-25B2FF850956.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 167
  • D8A61F02-9DBC-48E7-945B-69DF9BE18A45.jpeg
    D8A61F02-9DBC-48E7-945B-69DF9BE18A45.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 167
  • 86BDC127-AE2C-46E6-87F3-C923881F9FCC.jpeg
    86BDC127-AE2C-46E6-87F3-C923881F9FCC.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 167
Douglasdzaster said:
eeshaw said:
Douglasdzaster said:
Mines a 40 hp. Yamaha and the mini works fine for me. If you’re going to run every day you may want the full size. Got mine from Sim Yamaha very reasonable. Also mine is the aluminum. You can spend more for a stainless which I wished I would have. The cover is great protection from the elements. Got it from Amazon. It fits both size filters.I think it’s made by Sierra. I cut the notch in it for the shut off valve you see. I would shut the valve when not running the motor because of the new epa fuel tanks that swell up pushing fuel through my motor. Also I covered my fuel lines with gorilla sleeve from Amazon. Same stuff used on hoses on heavy construction equipment.

Douglasdzaster said:
eeshaw said:
Douglasdzaster said:
Mines a 40 hp. Yamaha and the mini works fine for me. If you’re going to run every day you may want the full size. Got mine from Sim Yamaha very reasonable. Also mine is the aluminum. You can spend more for a stainless which I wished I would have. The cover is great protection from the elements. Got it from Amazon. It fits both size filters.I think it’s made by Sierra. I cut the notch in it for the shut off valve you see. I would shut the valve when not running the motor because of the new epa fuel tanks that swell up pushing fuel through my motor. Used Gasoila on the threads. I don’t like tape as little bits can get into the system if you’re not careful. If you do use Teflon tape make sure it’s the yellow. It’s made to withstand fuel. Hope some of this helps. If you have anymore questions just ask. Good luck.

Thanks for the information guys, much appreciated. One more silly question. Have you had to replace the canister yet? How do you tell when it's due to be changed?

eeshaw said:
One more silly question. Have you had to replace the canister yet? How do you tell when it's due to be changed?
Not a silly question at all! The short answer is ... you can't tell. On the fleet of boats I maintain for my boat club, we change them every 2-seasons (marked with a Sharpie marker). 'Someday' we might go to every 3-years and see what happens, BUT a failure on the water is something we want to avoid, especially with newer 4-stroke OBs that are a beeyatch to clear if/when water is ingested.

TIP for Filter Changes - Make sure to FILL the cartridge before installing! Otherwise some fuel primer bulbs don't have the ooooommph to draw up the fuel from the remote tank ... or your hand/fingers will give out whilst pumping first, LOL! And wipe a finger dipped in oil on the top O-Rings.

TIP for Filter Assembly Choices -
I will say, with small boats, by buying one's gas at an on-land high volume gas station ... I've never had issues even with the skiffs that are not running a F/W separator. For larger hulls and bigger OBs, say a 40hp to 60hp or above on 16' and bigger hulls, I install the F/W separator as shown below, as it is a stainless steel head and the cartridge is 'see thru' so you can see if water is accumulating and as a bonus, the accumulation cup is DRAINABLE!

Yes, it is twice the initial purchase cost, but on some hulls we've never changed out the filter cartridge, so we save $$ there. Whereas our boats are in saltwater 24/7, we do use teflon tape on the separator port fittings so as to isolate them from the SS housing, due to use of brass or aluminum fuel fittings.

F-W-Sep.jpg

I replaced my filter this year after being installed for at least 3 years and when I poured it out into a container, there was no sign of any water at all. I get gas at a station where I normally fill up my truck.

Latest posts