Basspro battery charger

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebelwork

Reaction score
I'm new to fishing on a boat and bought a 2021 basspro xps 3 bank charger. Everything has worked fine. Tuesday I was getting ready to load the boat and noticed the charger dead. It's been on all week, and we're charged the other day.. checked sours of power and checked out okay. When I plugged and unplugged I could hear it taking power., but no lights. Took off boat and left in garage. Went fishing. Can back and is now working. My only guess is it got down to 46 degrees and quit working, as soon as it warmed up it was fine.

It's great that it's still working, but isn't when I can't leave it outside on the boat...

Is this normal?

I've never used Bass Pro's chargers, but I can say that a friend of mine had a Bass Pro On-board that killed one of his batteries and then the whole unit died on him. He took it back to BPS and got his money back. I've only ever used ProMariner and Noco On-boards and have had good luck with both of them.

Striper57 said:
I've only ever used ProMariner and Noco On-boards and have had good luck with both of them.

Pro Mariner, Noco and Minn Kota are the top rated chargers - BPS isn't even in the running.

That said, I'd already planned on a Noco 2-bank for my rebuild.

MN Fisher said:
Striper57 said:
I've only ever used ProMariner and Noco On-boards and have had good luck with both of them.

Pro Mariner, Noco and Minn Kota are the top rated chargers - BPS isn't even in the running.

That said, I'd already planned on a Noco 2-bank for my rebuild.

Last I knew BPS chargers were made by Promariner.

I think they all fail at about the same rate. Bad reviews on all of them.

I also think leaving them plugged in 24/7 is a mistake. Let them charge and go into maintenance mode then unplug them. Mine will do this overnight. By leaving them plugged in 24/7, you're subjecting them to all sorts of power fluctuations from lightning, power surges, etc.

MrGiggles said:
Last I knew BPS chargers were made by Promariner.

I think they all fail at about the same rate. Bad reviews on all of them.

I also think leaving them plugged in 24/7 is a mistake. Let them charge and go into maintenance mode then unplug them. Mine will do this overnight. By leaving them plugged in 24/7, you're subjecting them to all sorts of power fluctuations from lightning, power surges, etc.

You're right, I forgot that they are made by ProMariner because they look so different physically. I have to say that the NOCO I got is my most recent one and I like it better that the ProMariners we have in other boats, though the ProMariners have worked without fail for about 7 years now. Either way, I don't keep mine plugged in all the time either. I follow the exact same regimen of charging until maintenance mode and then unplugging them.

Called the tech number and HF e said it just protected itself from 1 the cold and 2 it was hooked up a week when the temperature dropped

I just hook mine up a day before I go fishing. So far it's been fine and topped the batteries off like it should. I left one plugged in over winter a couple of years ago while it was outside. I had a weak battery from that and I don't know whether the cold killed it off or the charger, I'm suspecting it was the cold and my stupidity that did it.

Latest posts