RichLine Corner Caps

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everybody and thanks for the add.
I was given a 57/58 RichLine, I think it is a Knight, along with the original motor, believe it or not, from the original owner! I'm super excited and getting started on bringing it back to life.

So far I have cleaned out several years of leaves, branches and beer cans along with most of the rotted plywood. The dash was basically hanging and the wood in the seats is not much better. The keel transom wood is completely missing, screws hanging, except for about six square inches that happens to have the data plate with serial number on it.

My first question is regarding the rear corner caps. They overhang the back aluminum by 1/2 - 3/4 inch and have three counter sunk holes in them. What I don't understand is what might fill that space as the outside portion of the keel did not reach out to the outer edge? Any chance someone has a picture of that area?

Thanks in advance.

I'm sorry, but "keel wood"? I think you mean transom wood, as the data plate would not have been attached to the keel, but the transom, typically in the right rear, upper corner.

A few pics would help the rest of us give you intelligent advice.

Roger

Here is a picture of a similar corner cap with the space open beneath the outside edge.
CornerCap.jpg

I have the same boat in a 12 footer. I'll take a couple of pics tonight when I get home and post them. I was just looking at that same area this weekend since I just reattached the transom wood. Finished cutting off bolts on Sunday.
Mine have 2 holes for bolts that pass through the inner transom wood, the alum transom, and the corner brace. On the side, they pass through the gunnels and the side of the boat. There is quite a gap between the boat and the inner edge of the corner brace, which I was thinking of filling. Anyway, I hope my pics will help.
Just a quick thought. A piece of aluminum, painted wood, or plastic could be used to fill the gap you are describing. I don't remember mine having that large of a gap between the corner brace and the transom. I know there was no gap now, come to think of it, because I had to cut the old screw heads off to remove the inner transom wood, and there was no gap to help.

Yeah, I'm thinking that based on how the side fit that a piece of aluminum similar to the top of the sides is missing.
I appreciate you comparing to your and look forward to heard from you.

Thanks

Here are a couple of pics of the boat when I brought it home. Would love any comments from people that know anything about this model. So far I have not found another RichLine with a frameless windshield.
HomeComingDay2.png
FrontSeatAndDash.jpg
Not certain why this is rotated.... :?

There is no gap on mine. Here are the pics.

Attachments

• 16352043858172.jpg
    16352043858172.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 157
  • 16352043569961.jpg
    16352043569961.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 157
  • 16352043455860.jpg
    16352043455860.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 157
Tumbleweed74, Does your inner transom follow up and under the corner cap so that the bolts through the corner caps go through the wood?

Also, did you use 3/4" wood on both the inner and outer transom boards?

One (hopefully) last question, I notice you did not put any metal across the top of the transom, was this how they came from the factory or you just didn't bother or???

Okay, one other curiosity, What did you coat your transom wood with to seal it? Trying to get this one back to close to original, so I will likely paint the outside board red and might go with gray on the inside. I also have the original motor, 18hp Johnson, that came with the boat. Needing to locate on of the old Johnson gas tanks as the one that was in the boat rusted through bad enough that I cannot restore it.

Thanks for pulling together the pictures and stuff, greatly appreciate it.

Answers:
1. Does your inner transom follow up and under the corner cap so that the bolts through the corner caps go through the wood?
Yes.
2. Also, did you use 3/4" wood on both the inner and outer transom boards?
Yes
3. I notice you did not put any metal across the top of the transom, was this how they came from the factory or you just didn't bother or???
That piece was missing when I acquired the boat. I plan on putting a piece of channel (painted) there.
4. What did you coat your transom wood with to seal it?
Porch & Floor enamel. I plan on painting it again in the spring with another coat. Keep in mind that this is a fishing boat that is stored inside. If I have to replace the wood in a few years that is no big deal to me. Or, by then, I might have a different boat anyways, so... I would NOT recommend doing that if you plan to keep it forever. YMMV.

I have one of these Johnson 6 gal tanks that I will not be using, but shipping it would be impossible. I prefer the 3.5 gal tanks since I also use an electric trolling motor.

Hope this helps!