Strange Issue With My Truck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDUBS

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2018 RAM 1500 4x4 with the small Eco diesel. Only 30K miles.

This past Saturday I was getting some pretty heavy exhaust like smells. Initially I thought it was going through the regeneration process to burn the junk out of the exhaust particulate filter. Short story is the smell got a lot worse, and there was a change in the engine sound. Then I get the warning beep and the engine icon lights up.

At the dealer’s suggestion I arranged for a tow to their shop on Monday. Still on warranty so no cost to me, thank you very much.

Diagnostic showed a NOX sensor issue. What they found was the NOX sensor was completely loose from the diesel particulate filter and was hanging by the harness in the fender well. The threads were still good. NOX sensor was still good. Reinstalled and everything works the way it is supposed to. I hope that is the end of it.

Service guy says he has never seen something like this before.

I just wonder if someone was trying to steal parts of my exhaust system. Though why they would take the time to unscrew the NOX sensor makes no sense at all. Maybe they were trying to steal the NOX sensor. IDK.

Suspicious. To un-thread the NOx sensor, you would need to twist up the wire leads. I don't see it backing out on it's own.

Sometimes these things happen and can't really be explained.

Like you said, I really doubt someone would take the time to unscrew the sensor if they were in the process of stealing the catalyst.

The tech probably thought it was some kind of honesty test. :LOL2: