1974 RHYNCRAFT MAKEOVER

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
You must be a registered user to be able to read the posts in this forum
BAY BEAGLE

1974 RHYNCRAFT MAKEOVER

Post by BAY BEAGLE »

From prior to my purchase, it looks like outboards have played havoc on the transome aluminum skin, both interior and exterior. The aliumium has been marred and is no longer flat. I have lightly sanded the area, but I'm scared to go much further. Creating a void here would weaken the transome ..... and not make Me happy. I am going to apply Marine Tex RM 305K ..... and smooth that area out to a thin layer, and bring it to a zero grade, so it will transition to the transom, Let it dry and sand. Give it the same treatment on both interior and exterior.
Exterior:
18841.jpeg
Interior:
18836.jpeg

I am planning on fabricating a solid piece of aluminum (1/8 thickness) - on a 40 inch wide channel. The channel will go across the top of the original transome (see above "EXTERIOR PIC" ). It will be 1-3/8"wide. On each side (interior and exterior); I am welding 1/8" aliumium plates to the 40 inch channel. These too will be 40 inches wide and a depth of 10+ inches. This will be on both interior and exterior of the transome. Hoping from suggestions regarding the scarred up factory transome, that these plates will add more "meat" to the effected area. The following picture is a example:
BandPhoto_2020_06_26_15_57_56_2000x.jpg
Looking forward to Ya'lls thoughts ......
BandPhoto_2020_06_26_15_58_00_2000x.jpg
[picture of blue transome plates; credit: TINY BOAT NATION]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BAY BEAGLE on 23 Dec 2021, 20:02, edited 2 times in total.
- A FLATLANDER -

BAY BEAGLE

1974 RHYNCRAFT MAKEOVER

Post by BAY BEAGLE »

Changed gears regarding the floor. More I thought about it, the more I researched. I have come to the conclusion that individual floor boards will flex vs a solid floor. Also how slick the Trex would be when wet. And the 100 lb extra weight. So I am going with a 10 ft section of .190 #5052 aliumium sheet. Working on a "GO FUND ME PAGE" ........ price tag of my aliumium floor is $490. Got $485 more to go.
We are now feeling the effects of winter on the East Coast. The variation in night and day temperatures, makes it difficult to make a plan that regards paint, varnish, epoxy, or anything that wants a controlled temperature at 70°. Started the woodstove at daybreak. Got the shop at 70° around 10 am. Been keeping flood lights on various projects 24/7, to aid in keeping both the surface I'm working and the martial at the desired temperature.
Steady working, but not much to show. Transom has dried from the OLD TIMERS FORMULA (7 days). Started with the light sanding (180 grit) today, and applied the first thin coat on one side, with 50/50 mineral spirits and Spar Varnish.
Threw more wood in the stove .......
Sanded the rivet holes on the boat, where the front seat came out (and not going back). Used white vinegar and cleaned the rivet holes and the area around it. Cleaned with dove soap. Dried them, and hit them with acetone. Put duc tape on the inside of the boat at the holes. Mixed up J.B. weld, and worked the holes from the outside. Smoothed them on the outside. Did the same thing to the seat that came out of the front of the boat. The front seat was the better of the two (front and rear). So I'll keep the holes in the boat, where the rear seat was riveted, and drill new holes in the front seat flanges to match the rear holes. Sanded, cleaned and primed inside the bench seat. Put two coats of Rustoleum alium paint on the inside skin. Threw more wood in the stove ...... Cut, primed, and added first coat of paint to the 2 X's, that will be inside the rear seat. Framing the inside to add some support for the seat Mounts. Will cut foam, and fill the void that will be left, and seal the seat bottom with aluminum flashing (seat does not touch the floor).
Threw one more load of wood in the stove ....... and call it a day.
18965.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- A FLATLANDER -

BAY BEAGLE

1974 RHYNCRAFT MAKEOVER

Post by BAY BEAGLE »

Took advantage of the warmer temperatures. Getting where I am now placing 100% spar varnish down, between sanding.
18967.jpeg
- A FLATLANDER -

BAY BEAGLE

1974 RHYNCRAFT MAKEOVER

Post by BAY BEAGLE »

Still taking advantage of these warm days. 70° today ..... and 40°'s forecasted for next week.
Today I decided to wet test the rivets or any other voids on the bottom. Forked it off the trailer, added water ....... and only one leak. Not a rivet, but a spot where it has been beached too many times. When the boat gets flipped, special attention to that area with J.B. weld.
Still applying multiple coats of Spar to the transom, and the board that will go on the rear seat.
18996.jpeg
- A FLATLANDER -

BAY BEAGLE

1974 RHYNCRAFT MAKEOVER

Post by BAY BEAGLE »

Like many folks, cold weather has Me doing smaller projects, and accumulating inventory while stock is available. Built a exterior 1/8th" transom plate to go over my boat's transom. This will add more meat, and strengthen the whole width and lip.
20220115_122314.jpg
Throwing coats after coats of Spar varnish on my wood - I'm at 11 coats now ..... doubt I'll have wood rot .....
19104.jpeg

Working on some cosmetic spots with "marine tex", and filling a few more voids with J.B. Weld.
Starting to build out the front platform. Looks like I'll have enough space for my batteries, and isolate the fuel tank and storage for life vests, and anchor. Able to have room for two latch doors on left & right side top section. Room to build out a pedestal seat support under front platform. Cut out a oval on the face of platform for removal and ventilation of fuel tank.
20220115_131447.jpg
Still working on the rear bench seat. It will have a skeleton of 2 x 6's framed inside to support pedestal seat. Also working on a small side mount console, to handle switches, depth/chart plotter, and other electrical paraphernalia.
Hope it will not take long, to get approved for a bank loan, for my 4' x 12' aliumium floor plate. (it grew from 4 x 10 to 4 x 12 ....... just like my boat budget)
Got both STEEL-FLEX and DURABAK paints on hand -

Small steps now ...... but the list is slowly getting "marked off".

My "NEW" Lungs reached their 6 month anniversary today!!!!!
- A FLATLANDER -

LDUBS

1974 RHYNCRAFT MAKEOVER

Post by LDUBS »

Attention to detail sure shows.
Have Rod - Will Fish

BAY BEAGLE

1974 RHYNCRAFT MAKEOVER

Post by BAY BEAGLE »

Still kicking along. Been working on the front platform & still sanding the interior. Got 12 ft of 1/8th aliumuim for the floor. Working on the rear seat. Giving myself the option to sit left or right of the rudder ...... or to have my Sweetie by my side ..... Seeing some 60° in the future forecast.... but still not warm enough to paint.
19428.jpeg
- A FLATLANDER -

BAY BEAGLE

1974 RHYNCRAFT MAKEOVER

Post by BAY BEAGLE »

Still actively pursuing projects on my boat. Not able to paint yet, due to temperatures not at the 70° mark.
Just finishing up the "lay out" of the front platform. Everything fits as it should, but not fastened yet. Got plenty to do before the platform is permanently installed. (more sanding, gflex the rivets w/heat, etching, washdown, wipedown, 2 coats of interior painting)

Best part is, that I feel like I'm on schedule for "spring time", without rushing, and making stupid mistakes.
19574.jpeg
- A FLATLANDER -

BAY BEAGLE

1974 RHYNCRAFT MAKEOVER

Post by BAY BEAGLE »

It got to 70°+ ..... bought FASCO'S STEEL FLEX & DURABAK Products in October. I have been dying to see what these colors are going to look like in real time, rather than the vendors web site.

First application was Fasco's. After the preparation of the aliumium, I mixed up a tan pigment that I purchased from a Hobby store. Put on two coats, and very pleased. Picture does not due justice, but it looks like the "dessert storm" tan.
19645.jpeg
My next paint job was the plywood that will be the front casting platform. I used Durabak Beige. My first coat was the "smooth" texture. Let that soak in, and added the second coat of "rough" texture. (ground up rubber particles)
19649.jpeg
I also did the support wall that supports the platform, and entrance to my storage. I used Durabak Beige "smooth" with a textured roller - (brain fart) - got too much pucker. Tomorrow I'll sand it with #40 grit, and after prep work, I'll put a coat of smooth Durabak, with the proper roller.
19647.jpeg
- A FLATLANDER -

BAY BEAGLE

1974 RHYNCRAFT MAKEOVER

Post by BAY BEAGLE »

After much anticipation, I was able to install the wooden transom, without tearing it apart, or scratching up the varnish.
Also, I was able to install the 1/8" aliumium transom cap, that will tighten up the boat, and add additional protection to the original transom. Now I'm able to weld that in place, and fix a couple stress points that have cracket in it's previous life.
19694.jpeg
Also J.B. welding the holes in the floor where the transom brackets were installed. They did not match up once it was all put togeather. Reason being; the new transom is a tad thicker.
19692.jpeg
- A FLATLANDER -

BAY BEAGLE

1974 RHYNCRAFT MAKEOVER

Post by BAY BEAGLE »

Scrambling around on my knees, sanding the factory paint off the interior ribs and floor is almost over. About 99% of the interior is sanded down to raw aliumium. A few little spots, and the rub rail need attention on the inside, then I'll find some "young guns", and flip Her.

19828.jpeg
- A FLATLANDER -

BAY BEAGLE

1974 RHYNCRAFT MAKEOVER

Post by BAY BEAGLE »

Today the Bimini Top was put together, and the six mounting spots were marked along the top rail. I'll weld 1" × 6" angle at 4 of these spots to mount the hold down brackets. The other two will mount on the transom angle plates at each corner.
Mated up the front casting deck, installed supports for a seat mount and framing underneath to join both pieces of plywood.
19859.jpeg
Tomorrow I'll seal the welded seams in the floor with AC Delco Medium Body Seam Sealing Compound. Weld the 6 brackets for the Bimini mounts and 4 stress spots along the transom. Then weld the transom angle brackets to a 1/4 × 16" aliumium bar, battery boxes, then we'll turn it over, and start prepping the underside.
- A FLATLANDER -

BAY BEAGLE

1974 RHYNCRAFT MAKEOVER

Post by BAY BEAGLE »

Took a break to get some Tractor time -
Finished up all the spots I wanted to weld. Added a base for the supports for the Bimini top. Reconstructed the transom supports (less holes drilled through the floor)
Added the battery compartments to the front floor section. Cleaned up some dings, and crevices along the top rail. Almost time to paint.
BEFORE:
18841.jpeg
AFTER:
20078.jpeg
BEFORE:
18474.jpeg
AFTER:
20075.jpeg
BEFORE:
18472.jpeg
AFTER:
20077.jpeg
- A FLATLANDER -

BAY BEAGLE

1974 RHYNCRAFT MAKEOVER

Post by BAY BEAGLE »

This pic is the intended pic of the finished transom(less brackets)
20220504_115008.jpg
- A FLATLANDER -

LDUBS

1974 RHYNCRAFT MAKEOVER

Post by LDUBS »

A lot of care and craftsmanship is showing in your work. Well done.
Have Rod - Will Fish