1968 Evinrude 3HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callison

Reaction score
Picked up a 1968 evinrude 3hp for cheap. seems to mostly complete. Missing a few items. Anyone have a good lead on the engine cowl seal? Both Crowley marine and marineone list it as unavailable. Further searches show unavailable most small motors until you hit the 25-35 OMC motors. My question is will this seal work if I shorten it ? Looks like several of these motors in the 3-6 hp range for a few yrs have a similar seal.

I believer the later 4hp had the same seal. Look on marineengine.com for the part numbers and availability.
Second place to check and may require a phone call is nymarine.ca and see if he has something that will work.
If not then shorten and do what you can.

Yes, Pappy, it appears to be same seal. As said, but misquoted, MarineEngine lists it as discontinued and out of stock unavailable. That's why I was looking at the larger motor seal that is available. Thanks for the response. No doubt I'll be asking for sage advise on the tune up part of this freshen up. Any way to convert to electronic ignition?

Why would you want electronic ignition? You have a problem with the points system and you can take a piece of paper of something and clean the points. Worst case is you run home on one cylinder. No big deal.
I am probably the worst when it comes to checking my engines. I go completely through them and then just run them!
I literally ran my 1958 Johnson 35hp Super Quiet for several years and several hundred miles on the points ignition before it started misfiring at idle occasionally. Let it go another hundred miles or so and finally took a look under the flywheel and found the cam followers on the points were pretty much shot and the points adjustment was way out. Had enough adjustment left to get me through the rest of the weekend of running on the Suwanee. To me that is pretty darned reliable.
Not knocking CD ignition at all. Love it but I see no reason to convert.

Thanks Maintenance Guy. Pappy, I just figured lack of use would create more points issues cleaning, etc.....

It does! Very often though if it will start and run the points are either already clean or will clean themselves up in a minute or so.
Usually the flywheel will have an inspection port in it for setting points that can also be used to clean the points. It is not a big deal with your engine in particular since I believe the recoil starter is off to the side.

Latest posts