Scamming

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vader809

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I am a member on many sites and one topic that is popular at this time of the year, is hacking bank accounts. Most attempts are for under one dollar. These are Phishing attempts. If successful they will continue, and buy whatever they like. If you use a Debit card proof of a wrongful transaction can be a pain. Credit cards offer consumer protection because they value consumer confidence and your money. Another alternative is Pay Pal. Pay Pal tracks your purchase and this gives a better protection layer than Debit cards. Pay Pal offers a credit card also. For those that don't qualify for a credit card or simply don't want one, when shopping online, at check out I choose Pay Pal. You can click on Pay Pal and register for an account.

Just since this pat Friday I have read of dozens seeing their accounts having attempts or being hacked. I have been lucky so far. However online shopping is not only easier, but a lot of places offer online only deals. As I am writing this, the news is reporting about the increase in Phone scams and online scamming .Be careful with how pay for your purchases.

Just last month someone tried to hack my bank account and the bank caught it. First time I've ever had any real good to say about Wells Fargo. They automatically suspended my account and locked it out, then I went back and forth with them proving who I was and getting re-authorized to utilize my own account. New password, security questions, the whole bit. I'm not fussed over it - I'm grateful. If successful, it could've been very, very bad.

That's why my debit card sits at home.

I funnel everything through a credit card. More protection that way, I get the rewards, it makes taxes easy, and it builds credit. It's a slippery slope for sure, but I wouldn't want to do it any other way.

I've had my info stolen twice, both times it was no big deal, other than making a phone call and getting a new card on the way.

If someone gets your debit card info and steals your cash, it's a much bigger deal.

We use a debit card while traveling if we need to get cash. For international travel, using the debit card avoids currency transaction fees. We have a separate checking account with limited funds and no overdraft protection or auto transfers. When we need to use a debit card we use the one for that account. If it does get hacked, our exposure is limited. I can't remember the last time I used the debit card for our regular account.

Mrs Ldubs gets notified of all credit card transactions. Sometimes the transaction description is confusing and it is hard to place the charge -- I guess my memory gears are getting a little rusty.