Seat recommendations

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R2K

Reaction score
I just purchased the mirrorcraft pictured. Looking to add two seats front and rear with swivel mounts. Looking for advise. Considerations are Strong won’t break, low maintenance don’t have to protect from elements, comfort, price is not a concern. I will be adding a Garmin echomap 73sv, upgrading motor to 25hp, trolling motor transom mount, bridge pump, lights.
925f4ec29700e42305951269fb691982.jpg

b56b5c381d25e2026d523a7edc9794aa.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I ended up with these: https://www.deckmate.com/collections/fishing-boat-seats/products/rt3?variant=30946773958731

I wanted something compact that wouldn't raise me up much higher than the existing bench. I raised my center console 8" to get the steering wheel above my knees and didn't want to put me above the steering wheel again. I store the boat outside, uncovered all winter and they are in the same condition they were in when I bought them 3 years ago. Would buy them again.

For a swivel, I just used the standard, lazy suzan ball bearing type seat swivel.

red-bass-boat-seat_1800x1800.jpg

SEATS - I use seats very similar and then use those canvas/nylon coated seat covers ($16) to protect against sun/UV when not in use.

BASES - Highly recommend the Attwood SP-67749 Swivl-Eze Lock'N-Pin Aluminum Boat Seat Pedestal Mount. They use a 3/4” pin and the base is 7” x 7” square.

I mounted the bases to the boat seat using high shear/high strength 1/4” rivets and they are holding well. I also used the stainless steel version of the base (and matching seat base), as I boat in saltwaters.

DaleH said:
SEATS - I use seats very similar and then use those canvas/nylon coated seat covers ($16) to protect against sun/UV when not in use.

BASES - Highly recommend the Attwood SP-67749 Swivl-Eze Lock'N-Pin Aluminum Boat Seat Pedestal Mount. They use a 3/4” pin and the base is 7” x 7” square.

I mounted the bases to the boat seat using high shear/high strength 1/4” rivets and they are holding well. I also used the stainless steel version of the base (and matching seat base), as I boat in saltwaters.

This is the base/seat mount I used in the canoe (my last project), and the base/pedestal/seat mount I'm using in the F-9.

I use Wise seats myself.

Tempress has a nice lineup of seat models. They also make a swivel kit with quick disconnect if you want to remove the seats for security or to get them out of the sun. Cushions/fabrics are replaceable without having to replace the entire seat.

sonny.barile said:
Tempress has a nice lineup of seat models. They also make a swivel kit with quick disconnect if you want to remove the seats for security or to get them out of the sun. Cushions/fabrics are replaceable without having to replace the entire seat.

My current boat came with Tempress brand seats. Two are the Captain style with armrests ( mounted on boxes) and two are the Navi style (on pedestals). The ProBax Captain's style seats are super comfortable. On the downside, they don't fold.

Edited for accuracy.

DaleH said:

Did you use a pedestal or just a seat mount with a pin w/without spring?

MN Fisher said:
DaleH said:

This is the base/seat mount I used in the canoe (my last project), and the base/pedestal/seat mount I'm using in the F-9.

I use Wise seats myself.
Did use the seat mount with the spring or without? I assume you did not use a pedestal ?

R2K said:
MN Fisher said:
DaleH said:

I use Wise seats myself.
Did use the seat mount with the spring or without? I assume you did not use a pedestal ?

For the canoe - no pedestal, but yes, with the spring.
This pic you can see the base under the seat. I replaced the original plastic seats in the canoe with 2"x2" aluminum angle with 2"x12" sealed and painted wood across them. I routed the wood so that the base was inset flush. Angle used the same holes the original seats were attached through, and the same hardware too.
20190421_141528.jpg

MN Fisher said:
R2K said:
MN Fisher said:

I use Wise seats myself.

For the canoe - no pedestal, but yes, with the spring.
This pic you can see the base under the seat. I replaced the original plastic seats in the canoe with 2"x2" aluminum angle with 2"x12" sealed and painted wood across them. I routed the wood so that the base was inset flush. Angle used the same holes the original seats were attached through, and the same hardware too.
Thank you very much for the reply and advice it is appreciated

DaleH said:
Did you use a pedestal or just a seat mount with a pin w/without spring?
Saltwater use, barely ever calm, always a chop & boat wakes, so while I did use the spring, it is seat mount to base on the boat seat.
Thank you very much for the reply and advice it is appreciated and I will be using the same setup

I really like the Millennium seats.
https://www.amazon.com/Millennium-Marine-B-100-Folding-Boat/dp/B092P6SJHK/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1N9JTMSMVWCTW&keywords=millennium+boat+seat&qid=1643562097&sprefix=millen%2Caps%2C122&sr=8-4

Can anyone recommend a trolling motor for the boat. I am thing transom mounted, because I will mostly fish from the back of the boat and that keeps me in control lol.

Roy said:
I really like the Millennium seats.
https://www.amazon.com/Millennium-Marine-B-100-Folding-Boat/dp/B092P6SJHK/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1N9JTMSMVWCTW&keywords=millennium+boat+seat&qid=1643562097&sprefix=millen%2Caps%2C122&sr=8-4
Thank you, I have pretty much made the decision to go with them getting the gray ones.

R2K said:
Can anyone recommend a trolling motor for the boat. I am thing transom mounted, because I will mostly fish from the back of the boat and that keeps me in control lol.

Question is - what size is the boat...that'll determine how much of a TM you need.

MN Fisher said:
R2K said:

Question is - what size is the boat...that'll determine how much of a TM you need.
It’s pictured in the first post of the thread 14 foot mirrocraft

R2K said:
MN Fisher said:
R2K said:

It’s pictured in the first post of the thread 14 foot mirrocraft

I knew the Mirrocraft - but you hadn't stated it was a 14' in the original post.

I'd stick with Minn Kota for a brand if you're going transom mount. A 45# should be enough - that's what I'm putting on the 14' Alumacraft F-9 I'm rebuilding.

R2K said:

If you have the budget, the wireless style (controlled via handheld remote) from Motorguide or Minn Kota are pretty slick. I ended up with a Motorguide Xi3, and while I knew it was overkill for my boat, it has been much more convenient than I expected. I can fish from the bow or stern and be in complete control. The gps features are probably the most beneficial for me. Ultimately it depends on what you need/want, what type of fishing you do, etc. I fished transom mounted trolling motors for many years. All I can say is I’m very happy with my bow mounted Xi3.

Regarding seats .... I too just purchased a pair of the Millennium seats (brown) - I like the high back, and not worrying about molded seats.
From my reading and research, in regards to trolling motors ...... bow mount Minn Kota with remote is the direction I'm going when I get to that chapter of this build. Nothing wrong with the other brand ...... pretty much a toss up.