Center console or stick steer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vagante

Reaction score
I’m beginning to look at new boats and I think it’s definitely going to be a tin boat with a slight V in it around 16 to 17 feet. I’m fishing inland saltwater right now but may be moving to East Tennessee and then it will be crappie and bass fishing in larger lakes. I will retain my 12 foot John boat for small water. I’ve never owned a stick steer boat but they sure do look like they make great use of boat space especially in a 16 or 17 foot boat. I’m more used to center consoles living in Florida but I question whether that’s a smart thing in a 16 foot boat. I don’t want to go larger because of towing issues with my vehicle. Love to have some feedback on this especially anyone who has owned a stick steer boat.

Haven't owned one but I am envious of them when I see them. In a small boat it makes efficient use of your limited space, your pedestal seat is your navigating position. Just make sure you use an ABYC AD or AO rated pedestal if you're going to be around coast guard inspectors.

If you go with a center or forward console you probably want to look for a boat in the 1652, 1656 or 1660 size range. My boat is a Lowe 1652 and has the Lowe console which is pretty narrow and gives you decent space to walk around it. I added a grabrail/windshield to it and like the end result. I wish it was a 1660 for the extra width, but I'm only 5'6" and around 145 so it's easy to walk around.

Attachments

• Lowe_1652_4.jpg
    Lowe_1652_4.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 261
  • Lowe_1652_5.jpg
    Lowe_1652_5.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 261
I came to it in a roundabout way. When my Suzuki 4 stroke fried, I needed a replacement, quick and cheap. I needed a tiller motor, but one I came across was a remote control motor that the guy had cobbled up to work. Price was right and all seemed good, so I bought it and improved things a bit. I like it....I think.

0N0301.JPG

I used lumber I had laying round to mount the throttle/gearshift and I do like it better than the tiller throttle. Steering was fun. I'd love a stick steer, but balk at the prices they charge for them and couldn't figure how to mount one that would let me sit or stand, without it being in the way.

A length of schedule 80 PVC bolted to the motor with a ball joint on the arm seems to have done the job and should be plenty strong. If not, I'll make something stronger. Push/pull like you would on an airboat, but I think mine is backward to them. If I push forward, boat turns left.....push back and turn right. I think an airboat is opposite to that. (never have run one) No matter - I'm the only one running this thing and no plans to drive an airboat. I made a V notched piece mounted on the front of the seat to catch it easily and release it quickly and keep it out of the way. It helps keep the boat on a steady course when running, too - it doesn't slip. Much more stable and less twitchy than a tiller.

I haven't had a chance to run it much yet, but seems to work well and I'm already adapting to which way to push for where I want to go. I do think this would be an ideal setup for a kayak, too.

I have a 17' modified V with a side console. It's a good boat, plenty of room. But, if I was to do it again, I would probably go with stick steer. I would need to find a place for my chart plotter, electric switches, and radio but I'd figure that out. Having the open floor would be worth losing the console.

20190929_092113a_sm.jpg

No matter where you put the console, it takes up space. Center, you can walk around both sides of it. Side, you can walk around one side, and that side will be wider than if you have center console.

Stick steer is great for crappie fishing. You never really have to leave the seat. Us lazy people like them. Personally I prefer a tiller steered boat but for what I do, it's a better option (more maneuverable). It takes some getting used to with stick steering. My friend had a Lakesport custom made, he had the helm mounted to the SIDE (steering wheel/console) similar to stick steer, but with a steering wheel. Novel idea that he came up with and paid Lakesport to build it for him. F70 Yamaha. It's a great setup. It's not as "weird" to steer as a stick steered boat. Hot foot for the throttle. Neat setup. Next time I'm out there I'll see if I can snap a picture.

Jim said:
gogittum said:
Jim said:
gogittum, Is that where you wanted the picture?

Yayyy......how'd you manage that ??
I edited your post, put the cursor where you wanted the picture, the i pressed the place inline button and that was it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did exactly that. I also did exactly that on previous efforts. This is discrimination ! ! ! I'm gonna sue.

gogittum said:
Jim said:
gogittum said:
Yayyy......how'd you manage that ??
I edited your post, put the cursor where you wanted the picture, then I pressed the place inline button and that was it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did exactly that. I also did exactly that on previous efforts. This is discrimination ! ! ! I'm gonna sue.

:LOL2:

You guy have me thinking...yeah I know.
I just bought an NRS Outlaw 140 (14') round boat full of air and I'm putting my 5 hp Tahatsu propane on the back for "upstream" and flat water runs. It will be behind the rear fishing seat so I need to come up with a steering/throttle/gear control thingy. Stick thought was first and I have a cable design I used for an airplane I built for flaps and ailerons. Will need another for throttle and use the two cable for steering and gear shift.

It just might work but I won't know for sure until I get the boat inflated and frame installed with 5 hp hung on the back.

Go for a stick steer boat. My father had a 17’bass tracker panfish model with stick steering and a 50 hp mercury. It was a good boat for him. All he had to do was get in the seat and go everything was within reach. So he didn’t have to move around the boat. Which was good for him since he had Parkinson’s disease and was very unsteady moving about the boat. They gave him another five years of fishing until the Parkinson’s got to where he couldn’t do that anymore but he got five good years of use of fishing out of it and he even went out a lot by himself no problems at all. We had a terrybass boat back in the 70’s that had stick steering also. The only downside to the stick steering is sitting in the front of the boat when there’s a lot of chop or waves you feel all the bumps a lot more so being up in the front of the boat compared to being in the back.

Go for a stick steer boat. My father had a 17’bass tracker panfish model with stick steering and a 50 hp mercury. It was a good boat for him. All he had to do was get in the seat and go everything was within reach. So he didn’t have to move around the boat. Which was good for him since he had Parkinson’s disease and was very unsteady moving about the boat. They gave him another five years of fishing until the Parkinson’s got to where he couldn’t do that anymore but he got five good years of use of fishing out of it and he even went out a lot by himself no problems at all. We had a terrybass boat back in the 70’s that had stick steering also. The only downside to the stick steering is sitting in the front of the boat when there’s a lot of chop or waves you feel all the bumps a lot more so being up in the front of the boat compared to being in the back.
All good points. I don't have Park but I do have bad feet from Agent Orange and I can't walk on soft stuff at all. The round boat is probably getting a 2.5 since I't lighter but no reason not to use the 5 hp. Latest frame design in my little brain has me in the back with lots of frame parts to use for balance. I'm using the NRS frame parts for the most part so they are easily moved about if it doesn't work on the water.

STILL...stick steer may be the answer...THANKS for the insight.

I had a stick steer boat for a short while. They are made for navigating shallow, rocky waters. The seating is in the front, so you can keep a sharp lookout for rocks or logs, and the stick gives very quick steering response.

Running in an open lake was a bit scary. Being up in the bow when at speed is a strange sensation, and when I got up to speed, the stick was way too sensitive. That thing scared me. If I got up to 25 or so, I was afraid I was going to crash or flip the boat if I moved the stick more than a fraction of an inch. I did not like it at all.

I posted the boat for sale, and several guys from the valley were fighting to get it first, and she was gone in a flash. Apparently, that boat was "da bomb" for the river guys. The buyer was giddy about the boat.

So my thought is, if you fish shallow, rocky areas, the stick is a nice tool. If not, I would recommend a small, side console, unless your boat is really wide, in which case a CC is a good-looking option.

Latest posts