New trailer tires?

Trailer related issues and discussion goes here.
the hammer

New trailer tires?

Post by the hammer »

My trailer is 11 years old. How many years should I expect to get from them? Where do I get new ones if needed?
Thanks

MN Fisher

New trailer tires?

Post by MN Fisher »

Trailer tires - about the same as car/truck tires. Five years is a long time...eleven...definitely replace them.

Where?:
Northern Tool and Equipment
Tractor Supply

Those are the two biggies IMO.

the hammer

New trailer tires?

Post by the hammer »

MN Fisher wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 11:19 Trailer tires - about the same as car/truck tires. Five years is a long time...eleven...definitely replace them.

Where?:
Northern Tool and Equipment
Tractor Supply

Those are the two biggies IMO.
There’s also the matter of having my leaf springs checked too.

MN Fisher

New trailer tires?

Post by MN Fisher »

the hammer wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 11:22
If you have one of those two previous close, they can do it.

Local mechanic - not a 'big box' shop like Midas or something - I've got 4 independent mechanics with shops in a 2 mile radius of my place.

Otherwise, any decent auto parts store (O'Reilly, Autozone, etc)

the hammer

New trailer tires?

Post by the hammer »

MN Fisher wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 11:32
the hammer wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 11:22
If you have one of those two previous close, they can do it.

Local mechanic - not a 'big box' shop like Midas or something - I've got 4 independent mechanics with shops in a 2 mile radius of my place.

Otherwise, any decent auto parts store (O'Reilly, Autozone, etc)
Thanks!

JL8Jeff

New trailer tires?

Post by JL8Jeff »

Don't go cheap with the trailer tires. I put some new tires/wheels on my trailer 2 years ago and the reviews on the lower priced tires were bad. Lots of people having blowouts on trailer tires with less than 500 miles on them. So go with a name brand you recognize or trust for the safety aspect. I think I went with LoadStar tires. Now might be a good chance to go up a size as well if you can. A taller tire keeps down the rpm's and heat on the bearings. I went from a 4.80-12 to a 5.30-12 since it would still fit in the fender. The 4.8 is a 20.5" tire and the 5.3 is a 21.9" tire and the 5.3 has a higher weight capacity.
2001 Lowe Roughneck 1652 VT with Merc 60/45 jet 2 stroke

the hammer

New trailer tires?

Post by the hammer »

JL8Jeff wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 10:56 Don't go cheap with the trailer tires. I put some new tires/wheels on my trailer 2 years ago and the reviews on the lower priced tires were bad. Lots of people having blowouts on trailer tires with less than 500 miles on them. So go with a name brand you recognize or trust for the safety aspect. I think I went with LoadStar tires. Now might be a good chance to go up a size as well if you can. A taller tire keeps down the rpm's and heat on the bearings. I went from a 4.80-12 to a 5.30-12 since it would still fit in the fender. The 4.8 is a 20.5" tire and the 5.3 is a 21.9" tire and the 5.3 has a higher weight capacity.
When I relocated from NJ to SC, I used that service from the TV show Shipping Wars to tow the boat. The trip was about 600 miles. Prior to that, most of my towing was about 5 miles. From my house to my new lake is about 3 miles round trip a few times a month. I don’t beat them, so it’s more knowing they have to be replace than “CONDITION RED!!!”.

MN Fisher

New trailer tires?

Post by MN Fisher »

the hammer wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 12:34
When I relocated from NJ to SC, I used that service from the TV show Shipping Wars to tow the boat. The trip was about 600 miles. Prior to that, most of my towing was about 5 miles. From my house to my new lake is about 3 miles round trip a few times a month. I don’t beat them, so it’s more knowing they have to be replace than “CONDITION RED!!!”.
Few rules to make your tires last as long as possible.

1: Make sure they're up to pressure. Use the numbers on the tire, not the trailer's recommendations. Always check pressure when cold, not after they've run a bit.

2: Inspect regularly for any road-debris in the treads...pick it out.

3: If storing for a long time - more than a month - put the rear of the trailer up on jack-stands to get pressure off the tires....believe it or not, just sitting there for long periods is harder on them than running down the road daily.

lckstckn2smknbrls

New trailer tires?

Post by lckstckn2smknbrls »

I recommend www.recstuff.com
I've bought from them once, my brother once and I will be buying tires for another trailer this spring/summer.
1971 14' Ward's Sea King Jon Boat / 1983 Mariner 25HP

lckstckn2smknbrls

New trailer tires?

Post by lckstckn2smknbrls »

Don't forget to check your bearings, races and seals
1971 14' Ward's Sea King Jon Boat / 1983 Mariner 25HP

LDUBS

New trailer tires?

Post by LDUBS »

Does anyone know if there are any American made boat trailer tires -- meaning in the 12" or 13" size? I checked Goodyear Endurance just out of curiosity and couldn't find any.
Have Rod - Will Fish

maintenanceguy
Site Sponsor

New trailer tires?

Post by maintenanceguy »

I don't rely on a schedule or age. I check my tires in the spring and replace them if I see something wrong.

I'm assuming the treads are good. If so, I've had tires that were fine that were 10 years old. A few will have signs of "dry rot" at 5 years. Most will get close to 10 before that happens. Check the sidewalls for cracking. That's a sign that either (1) the tire was used with the tire pressure too low and the sidewall flexed enough to be damaged or (2) age has caused the rubber to degrade.

Either way, it's time to replace tires.

If the tread is still good and the sidewalls are smooth with no visible cracking, I continue to use them.
-Ryan

RaisedByWolves

New trailer tires?

Post by RaisedByWolves »

LDUBS wrote: 22 Feb 2022, 02:11 Does anyone know if there are any American made boat trailer tires -- meaning in the 12" or 13" size? I checked Goodyear Endurance just out of curiosity and couldn't find any.
I went through this with my landscrape trailer. All I could find were $200 tire and rim combos and stopped looking.

I’m going to have to bite the bullet this year and I’m sure I’ll be paying much more.
Sailbad the Sinner

poorthang

New trailer tires?

Post by poorthang »

in the south, you replace tires more often than the north. the 150 billion degrees asphalt and concrete kills them. amazon, harbor freight, walmart have the same chinese rubber the more expensive places do. and since you only run then 4-5 years, it doesnt matter.

the hammer

New trailer tires?

Post by the hammer »

I was going to pick up new tires from Tractor Supply -

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... _vc=-10005

price seems to be a bit stiff