replace gunwale

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macintosh

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Looking at a couple boats, one of which somehow had the entire gunwales removed. It's basically a standard 14' v-hull rowboat. It appears someone turned it into a project at some point and removed gunwales, and did a half-baked job of replacing them with wooden inwale/outwale. The boat is in pretty good shape except for this, but the entire gunwale needs replaced. I'm comfortable doing VERY basic metal fab and riveting, and I've done some gunwale work on canoes with pre-fab gunwales and on wooden boats, but this is sort of stumping me. I think some sort of angle could work, but I'm not sure about bending it, and my guess is the original didn't have regular angle-iron gunwales. Before I totally bail on this boat, any insight into A) materials to use for the gunwale, B) how to bend to fit, and C) other considerations so I dont get in over my head?

Thanks in advance

I'd try to get some thin wall aluminum pipe, 1" at least, maybe 1-1/2" and have a saw cut down it lengthwise through one wall. Then slip over the bare edge of the aluminum ... assuming that is all that is there.

Then figure out some way to hold it on. Maybe make some 'O' straps out of malleable (bendable) aluminum? Rivet to hull every 16" or closer.

PipeG.jpg

Latest posts