Steering help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ahab

Reaction score
My steering control box (the unit behind the wheel) is very stiff. Takes a lot to turn the wheel.

Tried to pull the unit and cannot get the wheel off. I am afraid of doing damage to helm prying and banging.

I am willing to just buy a new wheel and control unit and cut everything apart with the angle grinder and / or Sawzall.

Before I do I would like to have a replacement in hand. Which do I buy?

It is a teleflex mechanical unit but cannot find and numbers on it???

I would first uncouple the steering arm from the OB and see if it turns freely then. If so, the binding is likely from gunk/corrosion built-up inside the OB tilt tube. Get a length of cleaning rod and an old 12-gauge shotgun cleaning brush, chuck it up in a cordless drill and with copious amounts of WD40, and scrub the snot out of the tilt tube inside. Also lube the interior cable where it moves. Consider getting a 'Steersman' to go over the end of the tilt-tube, that has an O-Ring wiper in it, to prevent this from occurring again, see: https://steersman.com/html/whatitdoes.html

If still bound up, T'flex made rotary helms and rack&pinion helms. Usually there is a large 'pin', with a loop, looking like a hand granade pin, that can be pulled out to disconnct the cable from the helm unit and perhaps you could add in some lubricant, but it may not cure it ...

But regardless, if replacing ... I would buy a 'UFlex' brand helm. I suggest it is best to go to their website as they tell you how to EXACTLY measure your boat to get the correct length cable. https://www.uflexusa.com/products/steering-systems/

If a higher powered OB or for User comfort, strongly consider the upgrade to the 'No Feedback' type of helm that prevents the OB torque from turning the steering wheel at the helm.

Did you disconnect the steering cable at the motor and check to see if it's still stiff to turn? The tube on the motor can get stiff if it isn't greased once in a while. I recplaced the helm at my steering wheel a couple of years ago, it was tough to get the wheel off. I used heat and PBblaster to help get it loose. I think it was seized on the shaft with the keyway. I went the Teleflex Safe-T helm I think it was. I still have the old one that works fine actually. I moved the console and put in a new cable and helm. Here's the one I have sitting around.

Attachments

• helm2.jpg
    helm2.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 155
  • helm1.jpg
    helm1.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 155
Steering wheels are pretty universal and mostly use a 3/4" tapered shaft.

When I was rebuilding my Tracker, I just went on Ebay and found a nice Gussi wheel.

As for pulling the wheel, apply steady outward force on the wheel and beat on the steering shaft. Put the nut on to protect the threads or use a soft hammer. Shouldn't take much. A little heat helps too, if you can get a flame to the metal part of the hub.

I'd be willing to bet the stiffness is in the cable, not the steering box.

The guys up above are on the right track. Never ASSUME !
Disconnect the drag link from the steering cable at the engine, back the nut off all the way and see if the cable comes out of the steering tube easily. If not then you may have a rusty cable and tube at the engine. This will tell you where the problem lies before you purchase a whole new steering assembly.
Now.....should you want to remove the wheel from the steering helm.
Leave the nut on with all but a couple threads engaged.
Get a large brass drift and a ball peen hammer. This may take two people.
One person grabbing the steering wheel and pulling back on it as hard as possible.
The other person uses the brass drift on the steering nut and several hard hits with the hammer. should come off and hit the nut.
You will need a new steering nut.
One person can do this.....with the drift , hammer method and a lever bar or second hammer used as a lever locked into the steering wheel but it would take me a book to explain how to do it.

Thanks everyone

I disconnected the cable at steeering box. The tube at motor is fine, the steering box is shot.

Tried everything to get wheel off, frozen on shift. Sawzall did the trick.

Waiting on parts, new wheel and box

Latest posts