Honda Electrical Puzzle (130 HP Outboard)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xaero

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I hope some of you are ready for a puzzle? I have a 2004 130hp Honda Outboard with old spaghetti wiring that I am trying to figure out. I think I have figured out a couple things but others... well lets see if anyone can help?

First one is the alarm. I do not know if it is connected properly. When I turn the keyswitch one click over (accessory?) it yells at me non-stop. There is oil in it but no lower unit oil. I dont know if there is a sensor in the lower unit causing the alarm? Do I even have it plugged in right? Below are two pictures of it, one close up and the other the whole keyswitch area, and the last is the kill switch (may not be hooked up right either?).

Alarm
IMG_0395.JPG

Whole Key Switch Area
IMG_0398.JPG

Kill switch
IMG_0396.JPG

Kill switch wire close up
IMG_0397.JPG

Also, I have this thing that I have absolutely no idea what it is. It does not match ANY wires on the whole assembly. So this one is a head scratcher.
IMG_0394.JPG

Now here is what I have figured out below. You can see some extra wires hanging out that could help the above items?

The tilt and trim gauge actually works! I think this assembly is the instrument cluster one. More on that after this picture.
IMG_0391.JPG

Now the RPM gauge was cut. It also had non standard wires hooked to it from the original wires. The two reds are the ones I am worried about. I think one is power from start and the other is for the light. If anything I know which 4 wires were cut. Switching the red wires shouldn't cause issues or explosions?
IMG_0392.JPG

...and last but not least. The trim wires for the generic Sea Star trim button have to be put on backwards to work right. Blue to green. Green to blue.
IMG_0390.JPG

Wish I had been there when they took this stuff apart.

welcome to honda. you should work on their motorcycles! lol. dunno, but reckon the alarm is triggering from the temperature sensor? self check before starting? just a thought as i do not know that particular setup.
subscribing. im never too old to learn, just too old! lol

The small harness you are asking about appears to be dummy lights for oil pressure and overheat/water pressure I think.

As for the alarm, it's normal for there to be a momentary beep when the key is switched on, but it should not be constant. I'd say there is likely a temperature/water pressure sensor that is not hooked up or working.

A wiring diagram holds the answers to all of your problems, I'd suggest getting one, it will save you a lot of guesswork.

A wiring diagram I found shows the Yellow with green strip line on the alarm goes to a solitary Yellow with green stripe line to a CDI unit. What I have it connected to right now is a yellow line that goes... somewhere? Maybe the yellow line is "live" when the keyswitch is turned causing the alarm to go off forever and ever. I dont see an open Yellow with green strip line anywhere. That line does exist but no connection anywhere. You can even see part of the Yellow with green stripe line in the picture! The one that has no open connectors.

I think having the alarm working right would be a critical thing. I may try to start it once here in a few days once oil is changed. I know the lower unit has no oil in it at all right now (was drained on purpose over a year ago). This engine has sat on its side for over a year and all the cables tossed in a box with some parts cut off, like the RPM gauge wires, and some parts just disconnected. If anything I hear things happening on the engine when I turn the keyswitch one click over. I am hesitant to bump it until the oils are changed/added. So maybe there is life left in this one.

I figured out the alarm and the extra gauge! Someone plugged two unlike wires together for the key switch. Once unplugged everything fell into place. I did assume all the black wires being daisy chained together was the right thing to do.

6AC1F502-6E01-4041-B62F-304A3C8D87AB.jpeg

Latest posts