Keel Rollers - Forward and Backwards...OK?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Man

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Trailer is a 2017 Karavan 16' bunk trailer.

Mounted two keel rollers on tongue of my trailer. It came with the rear one and I added a second towards bow area. I adjusted them to guide the boat straight as possible and provide a little support, but very, very little. In fact the rollers just touch the center keel of the boat.

On the rear mounted keel roller I mounted the brackets in opposite direction as the forward roller (see pic). I did this so as to place the roller under the boat where the trailer's tongue meets A frame portion.

Are there any issues with mounting this rear roller's brackets in the opposite direction?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3554.jpeg
    IMG_3554.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 150
Long as it's clamped down tightly so it doesn't shift - there should be no problem with it.

MN Fisher said:
Long as it's clamped down tightly so it doesn't shift - there should be no problem with it.

I agree. Especially since yours are mounted low to the frame.

I don't see an issue with that as long as it doesn't shift and lift up during loading.. and don't worry if it touches or not, rubber is softer than the aluminum keel. The more places the boat touches the trailer, the less pressure per point.

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk

Should be fine, have a couple on my trailer mounted the same way with no issues. Dont be afraid to put some weight on them, the keel is the strongest point on your boat. The more support the keel has the better...I am going to add one more on my trailer right at the back crossmember. That one wont hold any weight, just there to keep the bow keel from riding on the rubber pad on the crossmember when starting the load up on the trailer. Not sure why the trailer was designed that way, but it will definetly improve the way the boat loads. The more support areas you have on your boat while on the trailer the better off your hull will be.

Latest posts