20HP selection.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbeau

Reaction score
Hi, first time poster here:)

We (my son and I) have a 2012 built proof Tahatsu 9.8 four stroke on our 1440M Lowe. We’re wanting to upgrade to a new 20HP. I’m shopping and trying to compare Mercury v Tahatsu. I know Tahatsu makes the small motors for Mercury but they don’t seem to be exactly the same. The weight is different. The tiller handles are very different, with Mercury having a fancy new incorporated shift lever. I’m also told that the Tahatsu’s are a bit faster and more dependable. They have a slightly better warranty as well. In talking with a couple of the Arkansas duck boat dealers, they say that Tahatsu seems to be the local favorite, and that no other 20HP will out run it or out last it. I know the duck boy’s are rough on motors, so that goes a long way with me.
I’ve never owned a Mercury but I see a lot of them on the lake and I’m sure they have a good reputation as well.

Hopefully someone has experience with both of the newer 20HP’s and can help shine some light on the differences.

Thanks.

If the powerheads are the same it comes down if you want the convience of the Merc's integrated shift/throtle or the simplicity of seperate.

Myself, I grew up with seperate, so found my 25 merc's integrated, somewhat of a pain not to be able to rev engine in neutral. Got use to it, but dread the day the cables need to be replaced.

Good luck in your search, and sorry for late reply.

I really appreciate the replies! I’ve found a Mercury 20HP short shaft w/ electric start. It’s also the best price I’ve seen on anything yet by $400. It’s a 2022 model, the 2023’s just came out. The dealer is holding it for me. Based on the reviews I think the Tahatsu is probably best overall. I’m a bit hesitant, but I can’t beat the Merc’s price, and it’s available right now. Looks like price and availability has made up my mind. Hopefully it turns out to be as good as our old Tahatsu!

Any additional feedback from someone with a new Mercury outboard would be GREATLY appreciated!

The Merc is a rebranded Tohatsu. The little silver tag by the clamp should say "made in japan"

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk

It use to be the Tohatsu/Nissan we’re about 10% less than the other brands. Enjoy your new motor.

Is the Tohatsu/Mercury 20's the same as they have been for the last few years? I just now became aware that Tohatsu redesigned the 3 cyl 25hp model to lighten it up considerably. The 20hp seemed like a designed that was pretty good as is from what Ive been told.

I think your right in regards to them lightening the 3 cylinder models. Seems like I read that someplace that they are also changing the tiller handle to the fancy style.

I’m picking up the new 20HP Mercury in the morning. It’s well worth the 2 hour drive!
Guess I’ll be selling the 2012 9.8 Tohatsu soon. It’s been the best outboard I’ve ever owned. Hopefully the new Merc can compare.

Jimbeau said:
I’m picking up the new 20HP Mercury in the morning. It’s well worth the 2 hour drive!
Guess I’ll be selling the 2012 9.8 Tohatsu soon. It’s been the best outboard I’ve ever owned. Hopefully the new Merc can compare.

I'm in West TN as well and have been researching sub-40hp outboards. What dealer/marina is providing your motor?

I’m shopping the Mississippi dealers actually but I kinda ran into a issue. I was hoping for a 2023 model but I was dreaming, had to go with a 2022 instead. Come to find out though it’s actually a 2021 model according to the SN, which I wasn’t expecting!
They said it was made in around July of 2021 but it’s considered a 2022 “production year”.
I really prefer a newer motor, if I’m buy new. Thinking there may be some slight improvements in design, plus it brings more whenever I get ready to sell.

Any thoughts on year model changes? Weight changes?
Thanks!

Understand. Obviously they are new when put into service. Just like a new car. Works the same way. Do you want a 2021 new car or a 2023?
Which motor is worth more? Resale? What about improvements in design? I think they may have saved a few pounds.

Jimbeau said:
I’m shopping the Mississippi dealers actually but I kinda ran into a issue. I was hoping for a 2023 model but I was dreaming, had to go with a 2022 instead. Come to find out though it’s actually a 2021 model according to the SN, which I wasn’t expecting!
They said it was made in around July of 2021 but it’s considered a 2022 “production year”.
I really prefer a newer motor, if I’m buy new. Thinking there may be some slight improvements in design, plus it brings more whenever I get ready to sell.

Any thoughts on year model changes? Weight changes?
Thanks!
They did change the 20's a couple of years ago.. the new model is alot lighter and has an adjustable tiller handle ( left, right, up, down)

They have just recently given the same updated design to the 25 and 30hp and is now the lightest 3cyl motor in that hp class.

Unfortunately I don’t know exactly what has changed, or when the changes occurred. I’m finding all sorts of inconsistencies in weight, depending on what sources I reference.

Jimbeau said:
Unfortunately I don’t know exactly what has changed, or when the changes occurred. I’m finding all sorts of inconsistencies in weight, depending on what sources I reference.
Look like they changed the 20hp in 2019.
https://youtu.be/hmPF1XTFy9c

Weight depends on shaft length and starting method.

Great video, thanks! I see they made the big change in 2019. It’s been 4 production years since that tiller change in 2019. I’d be surprised if they haven’t made any other improvements since. Apparently the 2023’s started shipping this month.

I do like that it is a seperate shift handle on the tiller handle. My 1997 25 is all integrated in the twist throttle.

Myself, I keep motors a long time. By time I sell them, if I even do, it is all based on condition vs a year or two via the serial number.

Update: I was able to get great information from Tohatsu. Yes, Tohatsu was better help in answering my Mercury questions than Mercury themselves. Unfortunately Mercury will not transfer anyone to the their technical department! Horrible in that regard. For what it’s worth, the general Mercury line guy says there’s zero weight changes from 2019-2022.

I’m going to miss Tohatsu’s service alright. Their technical department was extremely helpful. Told me that there’s been zero changes in the year models in question. He said that they do occasionally change a part, or accessory but that only happens when they experience inconsistencies in workmanship or quality form a specific vender. He said it’s very unlikely anything at all has changed in this case.

Tohatsu v Mercury: The Tohatsu rep said the production plant is owned 50/50 by Tohatsu/Merc. Part numbers and wire colors will be different. Also cosmetics, tiller handles, and possibly gear ratios can vary between the two. He loves them both but I got the impression he’s definitely not a fan of Merc’s CS:)

Latest posts