Attaching a console down

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackieblue

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a Fisher boat and the console keeps vibrating and getting loose. Does anyone have any suggestions on something to keep it in place except some type of epoxy on the screw threads?

How about taking the screws out, and putting some bolts with fender washers in there? If space permits, a piece of rubber might help as well, and absorb some of the shock. Toggle bolts might be useful here, as well, once again, space permitting!

If there is no place for nuts, you might try one of those plastic inserts that you poke into a wall, then screw a screw into it, although that might not take the shock!

I agree that bolts, washers, and nuts would be the best solution but space would be at a premium and it would require cutting some holes in the floor and inspection plates to cover it up. I've just never seen a good aftermarket product for this.
He has tried a lot of products but so far none have performed satisfactory, the quest continues.

I was thinking wndshield for some reason.

What about L brackets? You could get some smaller brackets, put them in the corners where they are not visible.

The problem is:
the console is heavy and the boat shimmys&shakes bad causing the console to rip the screws out of the aluminum flooring. When one screw get loose it only a matter of time before the others are backing out.
So far he has gone to bigger screws, put silicone around the screws to assist in holding the screws in. I've tried to get him to use two part epoxy but he will not hear of it because it has the fuel tank under the console. He is afraid if he epoxies the screws in the tank will stat to leak.

The only other thing I can think of is to place some rubber between the floor/side of the boat to isololate the console, and to tap the hole out in the floor to accept a bolt, then you can loctite that in.

We drilled big holes4-5 inches in diameter and bolted the front down on each side with bolts, washers, and washers and locking nuts. It has three holding each side in front. The holes are covered with hard rubber/plastic inspection covers. Waiting to see if this does the trick or if the back will have to be bolted down also. We also cut a section of innertube to pad between the console and the deck.

A great anchor for your problem is made by Hilti. it is a heavt duty fastener similiar to a butterfly bracket, but used in commercial grade installation projects. also a good silicone type sealant is called 5200. it foems a flexible and super strong bond to **** near anything and will reduce your vibration problem. you can find the Hilti at your home repo store and the 5200 at any marine supply store.

look up a product called rivnuts on a google search they are like a rivet but they have threads in them simular too a helicoil

I would fasten down the back of the console as well. You got the front fastened down so half the job is done. Lock nuts and washers wouldn't be a bad idea either.