Bonsai trees

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.fish

Reaction score
About 7 years ago, I visited a place called Longwood Gardens. I just happened to go on a day that they where having a bonsai tree display. Almost instantly it caught my eye, and I was hooked. I viewed trees that where 100's of years old that had been dwarfed and raised to grow in clay pots no bigger then a foot in length. I started out learning from a local guy who showed me the techniques and care that go into keeping bonsai trees. So, to make a long story short, as of 2 years ago I was raising at least a 100 trees. Since then, I sold at least half, so now I can spend more time on each individual tree. I know alot of cheaper imitations are sold in stores and or malls, but all my trees are authentic deciduous trees. They go through all 4 seasons, with some slight shelter through the winter. Every tree has to be wired, trimmed, and even repotted each year to keep the size of these trees small. I especially love the colors in the maples in the spring, and even more in the fall. Just another one of my money consuming hobbies besides fishing.

Picture1290.jpg

Picture1293.jpg

Picture1740-1.jpg

Picture1744.jpg

Picture1288.jpg

Picture1742.jpg

Mike, those are awesome. I have always wanted to get into that, just never did. Those pictures are really nice too.

Very nice Acers...

I used to be heavily into bonsai myself. The there was a period in my life that was very unsettled living arrangements wise, and I gave away or sold them all. As I'm sure you well know, bonsai can be more time consuming than a pet dog or cat. Now, I'm getting back into it, I've been training a Virginia pine for about 3 yrs now. Presently having a problem with white scale. Nothing a little botanical soap won't fix.

If your ever in Washington D.C. go to the National Arboretum. They have trees there over 500yrs old that will blow your mind.

Will you guys post up the Bonsai forums you are on,if any?Thanks.I'm overloaded with info and have found some trees that I think will be suited to out door growing.These are wild finds that need to be harvested,roots trimmed and transplanted into starter pots.

I love Japanese Maples big and small. Those look awesome. I don't have the time to put into a Bonsai but totally enjoy looking at them.

ben2go said:
Will you guys post up the Bonsai forums you are on,if any?Thanks.I'm overloaded with info and have found some trees that I think will be suited to out door growing.These are wild finds that need to be harvested,roots trimmed and transplanted into starter pots.

Haven't been on any bonsai forums... I learned everything I know from books. I would recommend Bonsai Master Class as a good read on the Subject.

Cheeseball said:
ben2go said:

Haven't been on any bonsai forums... I learned everything I know from books. I would recommend Bonsai Master Class as a good read on the Subject.

Thanks Cheeseball.i'll see if I can scrounge up a copy.

Nickk said:
beautiful!

can you use standard Western variety trees to make Bonsai?

You can use any tree.Most are kept outside on a shelf,porch,or deck.The trees still need all 4 seasons for them to grow correctly.When a full size tree sapling is planted in a bonsai (pot planting) ,it will naturally dwarf because the root ball is not allowed to grow large.Here is a good site on the subject. https://www.bonsaisite.com/index.html

I have heard of the the national arboreteum in D.C. Thats funny that you mention that place. The wife and I are taking a train down to Washington just for that exhibit this summer.

I used to belong to the pa bonsai society. https://pabonsai.org/
With my work schedule, and the meetings being on odd days, and at weird locations, my visits and membership have ceased.

There is so much information on raising bonsai trees, it is almost impossible to try and explain the technique. I have learned over the years reading 100's of books, and hooking in with local bonsai wholesale dealers, so I could fuel my hobby. There is unlimited information on the web, but be very careful. Alot of the information will only pertain to that specific climate in which those trees are being grown. Beware, this hobby can be very time consuming, not to mention expensive.

mr.fish said:
I have heard of the the national arboreteum in D.C. Thats funny that you mention that place. The wife and I are taking a train down to Washington just for that exhibit this summer.

Yeah... you'll definitely want to visit that place. They have a (I wanna say cedar, it's been awhile) there that's side is all jinned up and bleached white... really nice.

If you like maples, you outta try an American Beech. A buddy of mine has been training one for about 10yrs. now and it's a really beautiful tree. They have smooth white bark and the leaves turn a copper color in fall and don't fall off until Spring. I'll try to snap a pic of it and post.

mr.fish said:

I used to belong to the pa bonsai society. https://pabonsai.org/
With my work schedule, and the meetings being on odd days, and at weird locations, my visits and membership have ceased.

There is so much information on raising bonsai trees, it is almost impossible to try and explain the technique. I have learned over the years reading 100's of books, and hooking in with local bonsai wholesale dealers, so I could fuel my hobby. There is unlimited information on the web, but be very careful. Alot of the information will only pertain to that specific climate in which those trees are being grown. Beware, this hobby can be very time consuming, not to mention expensive.

I am learning a lot.I knew about the climate issue with growing.I am planning to use trees that are specific to my location if possible.I have been raising house plants for 17 years,give or take,and growing outdoor gardens.I have lots of time since I can't work.I plan to keep my first few simple,no complicated shapes or difficult to grow trees.

Latest posts