Mozilla or IE??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have to switch a bunch of stuff over or does it pretty much take care of itself? What i mean is like my Outlook Express and favorites and stuff like that.
Also,if i didn't like it how hard would it be to go back to IE?

Go to Mozilla. I am a Microsoft Guy. I made my career off Microsoft. I stood behind them tooth and nails.....still do. That is how I make my living (part of it).

Firefox is just a better browser. Go with it. You will not remove IE, you can have more than one browser. Install it and start using it. Eventually you will see that you use it more than IE. You will have to come back to IE now and then but You will use FF more.

Firefox has taken over for me, I stopped using IE unless absolutely necessary. The adblocker is a great benefit. Check it out, you'll like it.

Being an I.T. professional, I would recommend Fire Fox. I use it at work, and it's much faster than I.E. when it comes to loading our service desk web application

well i got to admit its faster, I'm having issues with it on not allowing me to download the activeX when needed for my kids when they want to play toontown? On IE it will ask for you to download activeX, but on FF it doesn't even ask, I've went thru it and can't get it to load.

FishingBuds said:
well i got to admit its faster, I'm having issues with it on not allowing me to download the activeX when needed for my kids when they want to play toontown? On IE it will ask for you to download activeX, but on FF it doesn't even ask, I've went thru it and can't get it to load.

Does a yellow bar pop up on the top of the screen asking for your permission?

ACarbone624 said:
FishingBuds said:

Does a yellow bar pop up on the top of the screen asking for your permission?

nope, it should but it doesn't

ActiveX is the mechanism by which Internet Explorer (IE) loads other applications in the browser. Through ActiveX, IE loads Windows Media Player, Flash, Quicktime, and other applications that can read files embedded in web pages. ActiveX controls are activated when you click an item such as a .WMV file on a web page to download it for display in your Internet Explorer browser window.

As a Microsoft product, ActiveX was specifically designed to work with Windows systems. ActiveX is not supported by Microsoft on other operating systems such as Mac or Linux.
Firefox and other browsers that work on multiple operating systems use the Netscape Plugin Application Programming Interface (NPAPI) system. NPAPI performs functions similar to those of ActiveX.

Note: Firefox does not officially support ActiveX.

DocWatson said:
ActiveX is the mechanism by which Internet Explorer (IE) loads other applications in the browser. Through ActiveX, IE loads Windows Media Player, Flash, Quicktime, and other applications that can read files embedded in web pages. ActiveX controls are activated when you click an item such as a .WMV file on a web page to download it for display in your Internet Explorer browser window.

As a Microsoft product, ActiveX was specifically designed to work with Windows systems. ActiveX is not supported by Microsoft on other operating systems such as Mac or Linux.
Firefox and other browsers that work on multiple operating systems use the Netscape Plugin Application Programming Interface (NPAPI) system. NPAPI performs functions similar to those of ActiveX.

Note: Firefox does not officially support ActiveX.

Hmm did not know that, so just download NPAPI Doc?

Also whats a good source to get it? Its not one of those mirror thingys correct?

I don't use Firefox, but I found this.....
"An ActiveX plugin version for Firefox 2 and above is not currently available. You should not install a different version and you should remove the ActiveX plugin if the wrong version is already installed."

Here.....
https://kb.mozillazine.org/ActiveX

Tunnels said:
I'm assuming that you still need virus software? How does it work with McAfee?

I run Firefox without any problems, but I don't go to play games either...

I don't run Norton or McAfee (I don't want to pay for subscriptions). I use Avast Home Edition and I haven't had any problems with it at all (for the last 5 or more years). It has stopped probably 7-8 trojans trying to come in, and also blocks websites that end up being virus prone.
It updates automatically, usually daily, and the only thing you have to do is get a new license key yearly (and its FREE).

A computer guy in the military I work with turned me onto it a long time ago, and when I get a new computer, the first thing I do is take off all the other virus protection software, and install this. It takes care of mail, surfing, instant messaging, and just about anything else you can think of. Works great for blocking websites you don't want younger kids to get into. I blocked all the myspace pages at my father-in-law's business because employees were on there all the time and I was having to clean out a lot of crap. Since installing Avast on those computers, there haven't been any problems. He was using McAfee before I put this free software on it.

Tunnels said:
I'm assuming that you still need virus software? How does it work with McAfee?
AV software is always a must have. No exceptions !!!

As Russ said, get yourself a copy of Avast and don't look back.

https://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

But before you install it, if you have any version of McAfee or Norton on the system do a Google search for the removal tool for that particular program and use it to uninstall their mess. If you do not use the tool, there is a good chance you will leave some undesirable part of the program behind to cause problems.