Some big Gar from last night

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadowWalker

Reaction score
Here are two fairly big gar that I got last night. These things were an absolute blast to get in the boat. They look pretty tasty filleted too. 47 inches and 43 inches

2z6fucm.jpg

2n1s12u.jpg

111mo88.jpg

Are they as big of a pia as I hear that they are to clean?

Between the chainmale like skin and the odd bone structure, I hear they are somewhat of a chore. Supposedly pretty good once you get there, though.

Gar will eat anything that doesn't eat them first, I believe. We used to catch some giant ones out of the Mississippi river on 1/2 oz rattltraps.

Cool!! I caught one like that in AR on a little ultra-lite setup and it took about 50 minutes if i remember right to get that thing in!!
Like Quackrstackr said,those things eat about anything and everything! Especially bass.............that's why i hate em!! :lol:

They are a pain to clean, but they have no bones. The two pieces that you get out of them are on either side of it's backbone. Tinsnips are the best way to get through the skin. You cut vertically behind the front fins and before the back fins, then slightly off center across it's back. Use a sharp knife to separate the skin fromthe meat and cut out the top portion. It also helps to cut the skin several times vertically into smaller sections.

Gar don't really have any predators due to their skin, and they eat whatever they want.

I Have Never Cleaned A Gar Before, But After Watching This Video, I Will Try On The Next One I Catch. Goes 48 Seconds Before Robbie Starts Cleaning A Gar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yQceA9n6Xw&feature=channel_page

If You Check Out Their Other Videos, Be Prepared To Spend The Rest Of The Night Watching Some Fishing, Jugging, Shooting And More.

One of my neighbors favorite dishes is possum salad (its just like potatoe salad, just with possum!!!) And he wont even eat gar! He says its just like eating cotton cause the more you chew it the bigger n tougher it gets..... And cool video countryboy but i just kept playing the first 46 seconds over n over :)

Edit: Sorry went off on a tangent! nice gar man!!!

The key is to keep it as dry as possible when storing. It absorbs water like a sponge and that makes it tough.

I would say their main diet is probably forage fish like shad and shiners. That and whatever dead bits they find floating around. They will readily take cut bait.

They don't seek out bass for their diet.

We usually see them around schools of shad and other smaller fish. The few that I have cleaned have had what looked like shad in their stomachs.

Latest posts