18ft alweld flooring and wiring

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FISHINFREAK

Reaction score
Well im slowly tackling my boat lil by lil. Ive ripped out all the old decking and carpet. Now im gonna replace supports and decking. Im goin cheap so im gonna go cheap so im buyin 5/8 regular ply for the floor and 1/2 for the casting decks and i was given two gallons of Helmspar sealer. Think im gonna raise the floor up some and create some storage compartments. I just got my main power cable and ground. But all wires will be ran before floor goes in. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351193198514.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351193198514.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,178
  • uploadfromtaptalk1351193211445.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351193211445.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,178
  • uploadfromtaptalk1351193220916.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351193220916.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,178
  • uploadfromtaptalk1351193240638.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351193240638.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,178
  • uploadfromtaptalk1351193281241.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351193281241.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,178
  • uploadfromtaptalk1351193289204.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351193289204.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,178
My suggestion and motto is "Do it once, do it right". If you go "cheap" you'll wish you'd have done otherwise. Just my two pennies.
Good luck.

The first thing I would suggest would be putting some 1 & 1/2" extruded styrofoam board under the deck, for added rigidity, noise/vibration dampening, and flotation in the event of being swamped.

Then, I'd run the wire harness through some 1/2" flex conduit, or gray PVC conduit (use gray, not white, gray is rated for UV exposure and is more durable) Not sure how many wires you have, or what AWG you're using, but a 1/2" conduit will hold at least 6-8 AWG 16 wires, because it will hold 3 AWG 10 wires (there's a chart somewhere that will tell you this info) If you've got a lot of wires, you may need to use 3/4" conduit, or an extra run of the 1/2"

I know you said you want to go cheap, but when you start doing your wiring, buy quality and only cry once. Make sure to use marine grade wire, and anywhere you make a splice, you need to use adhesive-lined heat shrink terminals. They're about a dollar a pice at a marine supply store, and a helluva lot cheaper at an auto parts store for basically the same thing. Also a good idea to wrap each connection with some 3M splicing tape.

Wherever the wires are not in conduit, it's a good idea to use some split loom, and a wrap of friction tape every few feet along the loom to keep it bundled together.

Regular electrical tape has NO place on boat wiring, it's as useless as a set of double D breast implants on a boar hog. Soon as it gets warm, or wet, it gets gooey, and begins to unravel. Save this type of tape for home wiring, and only use splice tape, friction tape, or heat shrink tubing on boat wiring.

And if you REALLY want the wire harness to look and function like a factory harness, buy some delphi multi-pin connector plugs (they sell kits) and use these.

If you do all of this, you will have a wire harness that will last many years, and will meet ABYC standards, which is important if you have to insure the boat, as underwriters will not touch anything that doesn't meet industry standards.

Fishin.....I see that you decided to come to this site....and....you decided to keep this boat instead of trading for a 16 ft Carolina skiff J.

When you are done, you will be MUCH happier with this boat, I believe. Follow the suggestions and these guys will get you fixed up right. Be certain to NOT use treated lumber in an aluminum boat!

regards, Rich ( from 2cool)

p.s. You might want to put your location in your profile, so the guys will know where to reach you. You might even find some new fishing buddies in TX with tin boats.

From my experience 1/2" ply works just as well for the floor also. And as for raising the floor I have a plan drawn out for mine that costs about $200 total for materials if you are interested