20 HP Suzuki 4 stroke on 11' aluminum RIB, goes bow high on take off.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sieben

Reaction score
Hi there. In the build section I built the below boat from a 11' aluminum Rib with Hypalon tubes.
I put on a center console, fuel cell up front, cover for the tank and doubles as a platform for our lab.
I'm having too much bow rise on take off. So, a weight distribution issue.

Two other friends of mine which have a commercial built yacht rib (same size) usually have the "Whale Tail" or trim plate on the lower cavitation unit.
This plane is thru bolted to the cavitation plate. Any recommendations on a Whale Tail for my situation. Hoping someone who
has done so can provide some input. I'm really leary of drilling 4 - 6 holes in my brand new Suzuki. See picture below of an old one I have on a 20HP Mercury.

The motor is mounted on a Mini Jack plate exactly with the cavitation plate level with the bottom of the boat.

Thanks in advance. John

Attachments

• Pre launch.jpg
    Pre launch.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Suzuki mounted.jpg
    Suzuki mounted.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 0
  • launched dinghy 2.jpg
    launched dinghy 2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 0
  • launched dinghy.jpg
    launched dinghy.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Whale tail.jpg
    Whale tail.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 0
First, is that power trim or just a tilt assist cylinder?

Second, does it have an adjustable trim pin? If it does, I would try to move it so your baseline trim setting is lower.

Drop the engine 1.5 to 2" and it will behave. I know it sounds counter productive but it will stop the bow from climbing so high....