2024 Tohatsu 6 Hp MFS6DWS

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonny1

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Recently bought a 2024 Tohatsu 6HP MFS6DWS. Should be here by tomorrow afternoon. I really wanted a good used 2 stroke but gave up. Must have looked at 20 or more outboards in person. Get a lead and go look at the outboard only to be dissapointed. Here are some of the comments from sellers. It ran good last year. You start to look closer at outboard and see that it has not been run in years. It runs good needs some carb work. Bull the outboard is complete junk. It runs good but I have no way to run it for you. I am lying through my teeth. I am selling it because I want something bigger. I am selling it because it has never run right. No the price is not high. For that price I could buy a new one out of the box. Just got tired of the bull. Yes the one I bought is a small 4 stroke. Did a lot of research before buying. One thing that got my interest was people complaining about hard cold starts. It seems to be a very common complaint with all makes of small outboards. Internal gas tanks with insufficient fuel systems seem to be the problem. Fuel pumps with incorrect routing of gas lines spells disaster. Unless the internal tank is full it will be hard to start. Even with a full tank depending on brand you still will have problems. The MFS6DWS has no internal tank. Does come with hose and a 3.1 gallon external tank. Gas lines are run in a better position without the internal tank. Results in much better cold starts. Vibration is a major issue. Plan on wood transom and a outside piece of wood on transom along with 1/8 inch cork under wood well hidden from view. Cork is very good at eliminating vibration. Used in high end construction to eliminate noise and vibration. Should work out rather well. Another complaint with small outboards is the rough idle. EPA standards are high on these little guys. I have no complaints about that at all. You have to use some common sense here. The outboards are by design intended to use real gas no corn syrup. Spent some time studying the carburetors on small outboards. You run corn syrup or old gas your just setting yourself up for a carp rebuild. I have a rather small boat 14 foot lonestar which is only rated up to 12 HP. Am 65 years old and retired so we are in no hurry to get anywhere at all. Here in Oklahoma most of are lakes and creeks are full of floating objects which could damage your boat if hit at high speeds. The old argument about getting caught in a thunderstorm is a joke. I have lived here long enough to study the sky and know when to head to safety long before a storm hits. I guess if your slow at reading the signs of bad weather you just might need a high HP outboard. Affordable, Reliable and at about 30 miles to the gallon very economical. Plus a 5 year warranty. I am good with that.

Hope you enjoy your new outboard. Not sure where you got your search material from, but....I have a 1985 Merc 2.2 hp two stroke motor that has run on corn gas since it was on the market, 50 to 1 premix, internal tank, always run the carb dry when I am done for the day. Open the gas valve and it starts on second pull, ocassionally the third pull but normally the second. Motor has never failed or refused to start, use it for my pond jon boat and for trolling all day on my 16' SC, have used it ro get back in on a couple ocassions when the big motor had an electrical short. In all these years of using corn fuel, never an issue, little motor has never " not" run or needed more than three pulls to get her running. Less than 35 lbs total weight, couldn't be happier with it. Never saw an issue with "corn fuel" when used according to the instructions !!

Congrats on your new motor.

Ethenol or non-ethenol, on a carbed outboard, running the gas out every time, will greatly extend the time for cleaning/rebuilding.

Recently bought a 2024 Tohatsu 6HP MFS6DWS. Should be here by tomorrow afternoon. I really wanted a good used 2 stroke but gave up. Must have looked at 20 or more outboards in person. Get a lead and go look at the outboard only to be dissapointed. Here are some of the comments from sellers. It ran good last year. You start to look closer at outboard and see that it has not been run in years. It runs good needs some carb work. Bull the outboard is complete junk. It runs good but I have no way to run it for you. I am lying through my teeth. I am selling it because I want something bigger. I am selling it because it has never run right. No the price is not high. For that price I could buy a new one out of the box. Just got tired of the bull. Yes the one I bought is a small 4 stroke. Did a lot of research before buying. One thing that got my interest was people complaining about hard cold starts. It seems to be a very common complaint with all makes of small outboards. Internal gas tanks with insufficient fuel systems seem to be the problem. Fuel pumps with incorrect routing of gas lines spells disaster. Unless the internal tank is full it will be hard to start. Even with a full tank depending on brand you still will have problems. The MFS6DWS has no internal tank. Does come with hose and a 3.1 gallon external tank. Gas lines are run in a better position without the internal tank. Results in much better cold starts. Vibration is a major issue. Plan on wood transom and a outside piece of wood on transom along with 1/8 inch cork under wood well hidden from view. Cork is very good at eliminating vibration. Used in high end construction to eliminate noise and vibration. Should work out rather well. Another complaint with small outboards is the rough idle. EPA standards are high on these little guys. I have no complaints about that at all. You have to use some common sense here. The outboards are by design intended to use real gas no corn syrup. Spent some time studying the carburetors on small outboards. You run corn syrup or old gas your just setting yourself up for a carp rebuild. I have a rather small boat 14 foot lonestar which is only rated up to 12 HP. Am 65 years old and retired so we are in no hurry to get anywhere at all. Here in Oklahoma most of are lakes and creeks are full of floating objects which could damage your boat if hit at high speeds. The old argument about getting caught in a thunderstorm is a joke. I have lived here long enough to study the sky and know when to head to safety long before a storm hits. I guess if your slow at reading the signs of bad weather you just might need a high HP outboard. Affordable, Reliable and at about 30 miles to the gallon very economical. Plus a 5 year warranty. I am good with that.
Thanks for your thoughts here..............shopping for a 6 hp myself and just posted a new thread on that question.........which one to buy?

The Suzuki is a nice outboard. Only problem could not find one with no internal tank. The gas lines on the Suzuki were run the same as the internal tank on the Tohatsu. Plus the Tohatsu came with the free 3.1 gallon tank and supply line. The Suzuki does not offer that. After taxes the Tohatsu was only $1590.18. Free shipping made the deal. Plus I have two local shops that are certified to do warranty work on Tohatsu/Mercury outboards. None in local area for Suzuki.

Last edited:
Congrats on your new motor.

Ethenol or non-ethenol, on a carbed outboard, running the gas out every time, will greatly extend the time for cleaning/rebuilding.
Both of the local boat shops highly recommended to run real gas vice corn syrup. No problem for me we have two gas stations in town that sell regular gas.

The way the supply lines are routed on the internal tanks caused more problems than what it is worth.
Definetly true on the four strokes, far less room, but on the older two strokes, plenty of room under there. Don't need to remove the tank on my little motor, everything can be reached for normal maintenence with the tank in place. However....if I had my choice, an external tank would save trying to fill the internal tank on a choppy day !!

Fuel pump along with really bad routing of fuel lines on the small 4 strokes is the reason why cold starts can be difficult. Studied this on the internet and then drove over to one of the boat shops and had lunch with a mechanic. We discussed the issues in great detail. Left the place with a good education on small outboards do's and don'ts.

The Suzuki is a nice outboard. Only problem could not find one with no internal tank. The gas lines on the Suzuki were run the same as the internal tank on the Tohatsu. Plus the Tohatsu came with the free 3.1 gallon tank and supply line. The Suzuki does not offer that. After taxes the Tohatsu was only $1590.18. Free shipping made the deal. Plus I have two local shops that are certified to do warranty work on Tohatsu/Mercury outboards. None in local area for Suzuki.
Which dealer did you make your purchase through? Did it arrive today as scheduled?

Pulled Instructions and warranty out of box. Read instruction and send warranty info off. The outboard stays in the box in the shed until next monthIMG_1808.JPG Have a appointment for a few upgrades which will be done by a shop in Eufaula Oklahoma. They are a certified shop for repairs on Mercury / Tohatsu outboards. They also do upgrades and modifications. The reason why I bought this outboard and model was because we had already contacted them and discussed some of the issues that are common with a single cylinder engine designed to meet very strict EPA standards. Very similar to the restrictions on motorcycles for the last 15 years. Not a performance upgrade at all. Some of the parts that should have been manufactured using metal were manufactured using plastic to cut cost. They have the metal replacement parts. The carburetor will be a complete makeover. They work very closely with a custom machine shop. Happy Happy Happy. :cool:

Latest posts