20 HP Tohatsu

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

60DRB

Reaction score
Well this engine is pretty nice!
I finally (for now anyway) gave up on my 1971 Mercury 9.8, with compression at 50 on each cylinder.
This new engine is essentially a Mercury, minus badge and a couple tiller doo-dads. I got the electric start version and and happy all around. The engine still has a pull start handle, same as non-electric start. I put it on my 1973 Terry 16' jon boat. When the boat data plate was still legible it said max engine was 20 or 25 HP. To my thinking, after five hours into the break in runs, this engine has PLENTY of power. It came with a three blade 10 pitch propeller. In the big box you get gas tank w/line and fittings and a printed manual.
The 9.8 ran for about 50 years, so I should be good for the rest of my fishing years now.
Now I'll segue to deck, seating, lights and stuff.

Congratulations. You'll really love that motor.

I have the Merc 20 HP; bought it in 2021. At that time, there was no meaningful price difference between the Merc and the Tohatsu from online sellers. I was able to buy the Merc locally while the nearest Tohatsu dealer was 200 miles away.

I've only used the rope start a few times, and that was just to prove that it was easy to use. I really do like the tiller configuration of the Merc.