5 hp outboard use for trolling

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL hell, my bow mount trolling motor is 15' forward of my outboard on my Gheenoe. Can see myself running back and forth to steer! guess I am old fashioned. I sit in the back with a rod out both sides and relax. Get a hit? Put the engine in neutral and see whats on the other end of the line.

Where I fish, the schools of striped bass are very spooky and running a gas motor near them is a big no-no. If you come near others running your motor, they will start screaming at you. Once you have a trip ruined by someone running their engine through the fish, you will completely understand.

What I tend to do is use the bow-mounted trolling motor locked straight ahead, and use the gas motor as a rudder and steer with it.

In salt water, the shallow water fish do not like gas motors, but in deep water, they don't care nearly as much.

LOL hell, my bow mount trolling motor is 15' forward of my outboard on my Gheenoe. Can see myself running back and forth to steer! guess I am old fashioned. I sit in the back with a rod out both sides and relax. Get a hit? Put the engine in neutral and see whats on the other end of the line.

Good point. I just use the remote control -- no running required! :)

Yes, you have steering. Outboard is driving the boat forward. You don't steer with the outboard. Turn the bow mounted TM to turn the boat. TM can be at lower power than the outboard. Turn it to the right and the bow of the boat will go to the right. Turn the TM to the left and the bow of the boat will go left. All while the outboard keeps propelling the boat.

Even better, use the TM autopilot feature to keep the boat on a heading. This is really nice to have when fishing solo in the wind. Especially if you put the outboard in neutral while landing a fish. The TM at a low speed with keep the boat's heading in the wind so you don't have to steer and land a fish at the same time.

Just to illustrate, I might be trolling with the outboard at 2.6 mph. I steer and keep a heading with the TM. I would typically have the TM power at 2.5 out of 10 with the usual light breeze. If I put the outboard in neutral, the TM would propel the boat forward at less than 1.0 mph at that power setting.
Absolutely correct and it keeps the boat headed in the right direction when gas motor us in neutral, so your boat doesn't swing and tangle your trolling lines !!! My little motor has no neutral but I do often drop the throttle down to idle.

Absolutely correct and it keeps the boat headed in the right direction when gas motor us in neutral, so your boat doesn't swing and tangle your trolling lines !!! My little motor has no neutral but I do often drop the throttle down to idle.

Fishing solo on a windy day and lucky enough to get a double hook up. Trying not to trip over the first fish flopping around on the deck while trying to get to the second rod. In the meantime boat is wanting to make severe u-turns. That is when having the TM is really appreciated! Haha

Good problem to have with multiple hook-ups. That’s how fishing was for me this fall It wasn’t difficult to catch 25 rainbow in two or three hours. All caught on a fly and released unless injured. It does help a lot when the boat is on autopilot.

Hey LDUBS,
So is the one I won a week ago on ebay Going to ask a Q/? I paid $375. 00 be honest with me !
Do you think i got a deal?
I had a guy tell me they go for like $700.00 ??/

if I don't catch anything it must be the fault of the gear, right! Haha.
Believe it or not I'd say yup! A quick true story, I was fishing a lake that GETS STOCKED EVERY YEAR WITH RAINBOW'S & BROWN'S / 14 -16 IN.
Any who I used almost everything in my trout box and there's a crap load of lures and rubber's you name it I more than likely have it & nothing was hitting TOP OR BOTTOM, I believe it or not switched over to a really small snelled hook i use for crickets & hopper's. i did not have any of them but {{very small privet leaves}} growing on a bush where I was standing. I Took one of those leaves and hooked it on just with the weight of hook and leaf cast it from shore and BAM, just skippin it across the water 14 in. brown hit it. I did it again thinkin it's got to be some type of fluke? NOPE ! BAM. hit again another Brown 3 TROUT Later i walked out with 5 trout 3 rainbows & two browns!! hitting skipping top & semi submerged Privet bush leaves. Don't know if because of color, shape or size maybe way they moved in water but my tackle that day did me squat to those trout. Nothing else hit them as there are some big bass & lunker's in deeper water but that day it was privet leaf day! LOL!

Hey LDUBS,
So is the one I won a week ago on ebay Going to ask a Q/? I paid $375. 00 be honest with me !
Do you think i got a deal?
I had a guy tell me they go for like $700.00 ??

Mine doesn't have the bells and whistles, but I use it a lot and it does great at what it is supposed to do. I would have jumped at being able to pay $375, even back in 2018 when I bought mine.

Believe it or not I'd say yup! A quick true story, I was fishing a lake that GETS STOCKED EVERY YEAR WITH RAINBOW'S & BROWN'S / 14 -16 IN.
Any who I used almost everything in my trout box and there's a crap load of lures and rubber's you name it I more than likely have it & nothing was hitting TOP OR BOTTOM, I believe it or not switched over to a really small snelled hook i use for crickets & hopper's. i did not have any of them but {{very small privet leaves}} growing on a bush where I was standing. I Took one of those leaves and hooked it on just with the weight of hook and leaf cast it from shore and BAM, just skippin it across the water 14 in. brown hit it. I did it again thinkin it's got to be some type of fluke? NOPE ! BAM. hit again another Brown 3 TROUT Later i walked out with 5 trout 3 rainbows & two browns!! hitting skipping top & semi submerged Privet bush leaves. Don't know if because of color, shape or size maybe way they moved in water but my tackle that day did me squat to those trout. Nothing else hit them as there are some big bass & lunker's in deeper water but that day it was privet leaf day! LOL!

That is funny and who would have thought. They must have been those vegetarian trout. Hahaha.

For what it's worth, you can upgrade your trolling motor to I=Pilot for less than $500. So your $375 motor can become a top of the line unit for a total of $875 or less, which is a very good price, since those go for $1,750 new.