Batteries in Parallel - Onboard Charger Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RivRunR

Reaction score
I've moved my 2 TM batteries (Interstate 27's) to the bow, wired in parallel, both hooked up to a Dual Pro SS2 onboard charger (2 - 10 amp banks).

I think I've read that a smaller (slower) amp-per-bank charge might be better for the batteries than the 10 amps-per-bank that I'm running now. Charging speed isn't an issue since typically I fish on the weekend, so I usually leave the charger plugged in all week. Also from what I've read, I think the charger reads the 2 batteries in parallel as just one big battery. I could have the charger read/charge the batteries separately with a battery disconnect switch, but there isn't any room left in the hatch to mount one, and even with one it would still charge at 10 amps-per-bank (too high?).

I'm just not sure how I should set these up, so here's my questions...

1. With 2 batteries in parallel connected to a 2-bank / 10-amp-per-bank charger, what amps are charging? 10? 20?!
2. If it's 20 amps, and I disconnect one set of charger leads, will the charger only charge at 10 amps across the 2 batteries? Would this be better?
3. In other words, what's the best way to set these up for maximum battery life / charging?

I apologize if this has already been covered, I've read so much good stuff on here that it just gets scrambled in my head!

Thanks in advance for your help!

the charger you have is a smart fully automatic charger... so, if it has connectors going to both batteries, it should charge each battery at 10amps - regardless of whether each battery is hooked up to each other in 24v or not.

10amps will be fine - it will regulate how it charges, so don't worry that it's going to be getting 10amps. It actually will only be getting what it needs the whole time it is plugged up

Latest posts