Best size/type Jon boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skq914

Reaction score
I’m looking to buy my first Jon boat. My two boys are old enough now for us to do some lake/fishing and exploring trips. Most of the time it would be just myself and two kids, fishing/lake camping. Not sure what size boat would most accommodate us with camping gear, supplies etc. On non overnight camping trips my wife might come along so there’s that to consider. Two adults two kids or one adult two kids with gear for camping out on the lake. This is a good time of year to buy so looking to move on this soon. Any tips greatly appreciate. Size of boat. Outboard HP, etc thank you. P.s, I’m looking for the whole package including trailer and what I should deem a good deal

Rather than going with a huge boat that will do everything, you might want to considered two trips out to the campsite. One trip to haul gear and another to haul the family.

I would start by considering how you will use the boat 90% of the time. Then compare boats with the capacity to cover the typical 90% use case with one that has the payload capacity to do everything.

Other factors to consider are storage, cost of towing and cost of operation. There are many advantages to smaller boats, within reason.

I wouldn't go smaller than 16ft with 4 people fishing. What size and how busy are the lakes you plan to explore? If smaller calm lakes are what you'll be on a flatbottom will have the most stability with kids moving around but on a busy lake or any water that can get choppy they will be the roughest riding.

I agree with Steve, you probably don't want to go smaller than 16'. I think a mod v jon is better than a pure flat bottom, though. It still pounds in waves, but tracks nicer. In my experience, stability is not noticeably different between the two. If you are going on choppy lakes, than maybe not a jon boat, probably more of a V or semi-V boat.

I agree with Still Afloat, that it is two trips when camping. You are talking a good size boat to take all the camping gear and passingers.

Do you prefer a steering console or a tiller steer which will have more "room"?

Any towing constraints? You don't want to be near max load, fighting the traffic out of the island.

Do you have any boating experience? Not that you have to but you may not like how a jon boat handles or might not like the water at all.
I bought a 1652 years ago for the same reasons as you and it has served me well. The kids are grown but I can still handle the boat easily by myself and the few times a year we go camping, it handles loads fine.
I use a tiller but many like consoles of some sort.
Hp; boat my size maybe a 25 at the smallest but taking any bigger loads more hp is nice...40 is nice
Like mentioned hard to suggest a boat but I wouldnt go much smaller then 16 as well....but some people do

Don't think I'd buy a jon unless I planned to take it out into the swamp or creeks. Never had one, but bet they don't handle all the well, probably not a lot of fun. I have a 14' deep V MirroCraft that came with an 18HP Fastwin. It goes really good, gets right up on plane, is very stable, and would prob pull a skier. The downside is it's not really easy to walk in, but not too bad if you're halfway agile. A floor could be added pretty easily. I tell you what though, it would be heaped over with 3-4 people and camping supplies. THAT is what I think is going to be your main problem. Maybe this is a dumb idea, but is it feasible to pull an inflatable raft behind you? If you only camp once in awhile that would maybe be smarter than buying a really big boat.

A 14' boat at bear min for you and the 2 kids, realistically speaking 16' as these kids are only going to get bigger and need more gear and space. I don't know the laws these days on kids having their own boat. But if you go 14' then get them a boat of their own when the reach age. When I was a kid there were no age restrictions. I guess today it's what 14, 16?

I’m looking to buy my first Jon boat. My two boys are old enough now for us to do some lake/fishing and exploring trips. Most of the time it would be just myself and two kids, fishing/lake camping. Not sure what size boat would most accommodate us with camping gear, supplies etc. On non overnight camping trips my wife might come along so there’s that to consider. Two adults two kids or one adult two kids with gear for camping out on the lake. This is a good time of year to buy so looking to move on this soon. Any tips greatly appreciate. Size of boat. Outboard HP, etc thank you. P.s, I’m looking for the whole package including trailer and what I should deem a good deal
I have a 17 ft Grizzly MV with 60 hp (there are others configured much the same) I've taken a total of 4, 2 kids 2 adults several of times to fish camp with gear and it does well. Be careful as weather and lake conditions can change things dramatically.

When I read the intended use I think of an 18' boat with side console. That will still be light for towing but give some additional room for the stuff you are likely to bring along. I expect with two boys getting old enough, dragging around a tube might be part of the equation too. I can't comment on Jon boats as I've never had one or been in one. Semi or Mod V boats do handle chop pretty well.

Last edited:
Flat bottom Jon boats don't do well in choppy water. Kind of scary actually. Best used on calmer waters or rivers. I have a 12 ft. Jon and it's only good for 2 people due to room restriction and seating. I normally use it just by myself, as it's easy to load and unload. The boat is great for fishing in skinny water, that's for sure.

Provided you aren't limited by towing or storage space constraints I'd say no smaller than a 16' with a good size outboard (25hp+).

I agree with many here. A 16-18' side console, as wide as you can find, with a mod-V bottom is a great all-around choice. Space is king! A 50-70 HP motor will push it well when loaded, but some will run well with a 40 if propped right.

Some think a tiller boat gives more space, but I respectfully disagree, especially if you are mainly fishing and cruising. A well-designed side console gives more USABLE space, in my opinion. It opens up the rear of the boat for people to ride/fish, and it even gives a higher HP rating to the hull, due to balance. Plus, it is easier and arguably safer to drive, as you already know how to use a steering wheel. Also, you can operate and see around you much better than sitting way in the back.

No comments on price, as that can vary wildly according to where you are. Around here, they often cost considerably more than fiberglass boats of similar size.

I’ve got a 1648 MV side console and actually removing the console before long at the start of refresh on boat and running a 50 Yamaha 2 stroke.

I have an older Naden 16 ft vee hull utility that serves fishing and camping duties. Pushed by a 35 HP johnnyrude. It will haul 3 guys and camping gear enough for 3 days and still plane ..just. The good thing about old boats is they've already depreciated so you don't pay a lot of "stupid tax" if you decide to change your mind on what you're needs are. I don't know what waters you are interested in. I fish anything from small lakes to bigger water where things can get choppy. So a jon is not for me. Don't be afraid to look at used as long as it.looks taken care of. My motor is a 1983 and I trust it.

I've also been avoiding jon boats for same reasons listed. My only experience in one was years ago me and a buddy fished off a small one. With only a trolling motor. I agree except for shallow water fishing don't think it would be a whole lot of fun. I sold a 14" AlumaCraft last year that was mostly flat on the bottom and it was a bit scary at speed. Unlike the deep V Mirro I have which goes like a raped ape and is very stable. Less butt puckering moments!

Latest posts