Braided vs monofilament/ Sorry I originally posted this in the wrong place

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys mentioned high visible mono. I would like to use it on my surf rod/reel. But if you can see it can't the fish see it?
Everything I’ve researched. Some say depends on the fish and type of fishing which made the most since to me. I fish primarily freshwater and mostly for catfish. I like dragging baits while drifting. I used hi vis monofilament for the first type when I went night fishing the other night. And it was a lot easier to keep track of especially with the blue led lights hit it. I use Berkley big game 40 pound blaze orange. Two other rods have 50 pound hi vis yellow braid which made a difference just not like the orange. My other rods I could just see the tips.
Most the cat fishermen I’ve seen on YouTube use hi vis but we all you clear monofilament or fluorocarbon as leaders. Catfish aren’t line shy like other fish. I was concerned about using all hi vis for other species like hybrid stripers or sand bass and was told mostly I’ll be fine with a clear leader.
So I got me some Berkley vanish fluorocarbon and have caught other fish while catfishing.
I would look up deferent species of saltwater fish and see if they’re line shy. But I think a good leader would take care of it.

Everything I’ve researched. Some say depends on the fish and type of fishing which made the most since to me. I fish primarily freshwater and mostly for catfish. I like dragging baits while drifting. I used hi vis monofilament for the first type when I went night fishing the other night. And it was a lot easier to keep track of especially with the blue led lights hit it. I use Berkley big game 40 pound blaze orange. Two other rods have 50 pound hi vis yellow braid which made a difference just not like the orange. My other rods I could just see the tips.
Most the cat fishermen I’ve seen on YouTube use hi vis but we all you clear monofilament or fluorocarbon as leaders. Catfish aren’t line shy like other fish. I was concerned about using all hi vis for other species like hybrid stripers or sand bass and was told mostly I’ll be fine with a clear leader.
So I got me some Berkley vanish fluorocarbon and have caught other fish while catfishing.
I would look up deferent species of saltwater fish and see if they’re line shy. But I think a good leader would take care of it.

Thanks @Douglasdzaster. I always use a leader. General feedback about surf perch and line color is all over the place. Some say it doesn't matter and some say it is important. A point I read that makes the most sense to me is the surf zone is a murky cloudy mess with all kinds of stuff suspended in the water. So, line color is probably not going to be a factor. I've never used the high viz stuff for any kind of fishing in the past. Might be time to give it a try.

Thanks @Douglasdzaster. I always use a leader. General feedback about surf perch and line color is all over the place. Some say it doesn't matter and some say it is important. A point I read that makes the most sense to me is the surf zone is a murky cloudy mess with all kinds of stuff suspended in the water. So, line color is probably not going to be a factor. I've never used the high viz stuff for any kind of fishing in the past. Might be time to give it a try.
Yes sir I didn’t think about how the water stays turned up surf fishing but it’s like a catfish on the bottom. He can’t see and feeds via sound and smell.

My catfish rods all have 30lb hi viz mono. I've caught up to 50lb blue cats on it. Tried braid but we fish rocky rivers sometimes and it doesn't do as well in an abrasive environment. I do have a couple bass rods with braid where I like the extra sensitivity.

Well, I did a shitload of testing with my equipment.
I run 30lb braid on any of my baitcasters.
I did side by side test with my spinning setups.
For me, mono cast further than braid.
So, my spinning and Spincast reels have mono.
10 lb for my big rods
8 lb for my truck rod.
6 lb for my ultralight

From my experience braid does not stretch like monofilament does. Feeling the nibble and setting the hook is easier with braid when the line out a farther distance. Braid is thinner than monofilament of the same lb. test. You can fit more on your reel if using the same lb. test. You can use a higher lb. test on your reel without giving up length.

Braid can be a pain at times too. Cutting braid line is a little harder than monofilament. Braid seems to snag on sharp objects and points easier. It has a clothlike texture causing this. Having a birdsnest with braid can be a nightmare. Monofilament has a smoother texture than braid. It seems to come off of spinning reels easier than braid when casting.

Again, this is from my experience between the two.

Do folks still worry about what knots to use with braid? If I recall it was a thing early on. Now it seems to be OK to use common fishing knots.

I tried braid on my lightweight rod/spinning reel. I guess I'm just too old and set in my ways. I went back to 4# mono. Nothing really bad to say about it. It just didn't feel right to me. Yep, I'm a dinosaur. Lol.

Do folks still worry about what knots to use with braid? If I recall it was a thing early on. Now it seems to be OK to use common fishing knots.

I tried braid on my lightweight rod/spinning reel. I guess I'm just too old and set in my ways. I went back to 4# mono. Nothing really bad to say about it. It just didn't feel right to me. Yep, I'm a dinosaur. Lol.
When I first started I was really worried and had some knot slippage but then
I started using a double palomar knot. No problems since..

I use the Palomar knot occasionally. Probably should use it all the time. I typically use the improved clinch knot, only because I've used it for years, and it is second nature. I wouldn't use it on braid.

The knots I tie most frequently are improved clinch knot, double uni ( for fluoro leader to mono), and the dropper loop (for surf leaders). I can't remember the last time I tied on directly to a lure. I use duo locks for lures.

With most braids, if you use an improved clinch knot, just make 10 turns instead of 6 and see how it works for you. Make sure to pull the knot super tight before clipping the tag end. Pop it really hard, and the knot should kind of fuse, and she should be good.

I have never heard anyone say they could throw farther with mono than with braid, but maybe with certain casting reels it's possible.

I may be all wet here, but my perception is when some folks switch over to braid, they up the test strength. In other words someone is using 15# mono switches to 30# braid thinking it is the equivalent diameter so no harm done. Nothing wrong with that, but the casting advantage might be lost compared to using 15# braid that is a lot thinner than 15# mono.

This probably doesn't make sense, but that never stopped me before.

It is raining so I have nothing better to do then post. Am just not that fancy of a fisherman. Buy louisiana red mono because it is cheap and replacing line on the reels is cost effective. Cast OK holds up pretty good. Works for me. Never had my line break while a fish was on. Our waters here in Oklahoma are not clear anyways so I doubt if the fish even see the line. After catching a few good size cats or a lot of Crappie am ready to switch out the line and start fresh.

I use relatively inexpensive Stren or Trilene mono on my surf reels. Don't worry too much about changing it out. Never had an issue with breaks or knots. For my trolling rods, I use Maxima Ultra Green. It is a little more pricey, but not too bad. Don't know why other than I've used it for years. Old habits I guess.

Well, I did a shitload of testing with my equipment.
I run 30lb braid on any of my baitcasters.
I did side by side test with my spinning setups.
For me, mono cast further than braid.
So, my spinning and Spincast reels have mono.
10 lb for my big rods
8 lb for my truck rod.
6 lb for my ultralight
What type of fishing do you mainly do? I’ve switched from mostly bass to catfish and have a couple rigged up still for bass which I like the sensitivity of braid then. When I tournament fished 20+ years ago I used all Big game because of wear I’d have to pull those lunkers out of. As many times as I re spooled everything I couldn’t afford braid.
I think I’m going to end up going monofilament on my big catfish rods. I’m trying 40# hi vis on the biggest bait caster I have now.
I have a low profile Abu Garcia (Sweden) reel. I had 12# trilene monofilament on and was happy. But I tried Sufix 40lb. (To heavy but just happened to have ) braid on it. And the reel has never cast smoother or farther. And super sensitive feeling everything. I can barely put any power behind it and it will sail a small spinner or light plastic right where I’m aiming. My fishing partner has all spin cast and after a days bass fishing he wants to try a baitcaster now. By the end of the day I was flipping and pitching a small plastic crawl bait into holes in heavy cover and pulling fish out. Only draw back if I get hung up I won’t tear up my reel pulling to much and I also know better than to embed the line in my spool. So I’ll either troll over to it or wrap the line around a stick to try and break it. Either way spooking fish. When it’s time to change it I’m sticking with Sufix and a lighter test for my bass reels.
Sufix is expensive but I have cheaper braid on a couple catfish rods which is strong but doesn’t cast near as smooth.

Use what works best for you. Palomar is my go to knot for almost everything. When bass fishing I can retire a different lure in a minute unless I’m using a Carolina rig. I’ll use some monofilament as a backer on my bass reels the double uni it to the braid and finish spooling the reel.
My catfish rigs I use the Santee Cooper rig a lot which I use palomar knots on the swivel and the circle hooks all get snelled.
My big spinning reel for surf fishing also has monofilament backing with braided line. With a good weight I can get it out past what ever sand bar I want. Using heavy leaders caught many sharks to couple of time I've gotten to go.
I’m pretty much all freshwater unless I get to take a special trip. My favorite for surf fishing is Matagorda beach.

I may be all wet here, but my perception is when some folks switch over to braid, they up the test strength. In other words someone is using 15# mono switches to 30# braid thinking it is the equivalent diameter so no harm done. Nothing wrong with that, but the casting advantage might be lost compared to using 15# braid that is a lot thinner than 15# mono.

This probably doesn't make sense, but that never stopped me before.
Sometimes I say all I know when I say hello.

Casting distance. People on shore want to cast far out into the lake. People on boats want to cast back towards the shore.
I’ve had the same thought before then I’d snap myself out of it thinking that’s private land or I wouldn’t want to walk through that brush to fish here.
Then just a couple weeks ago we were bass fishing and ventured into a cove I hadn’t been in. My friend says what’s that? I looked through the trees and said deer blind. This must be someone’s private hunting spot. We went a little farther and I commented look at that clearing it’s pretty as a golf course. Water stayed at 8’-9’ deep so I kept going and pitching my lure. Turned out to be a good spot.
Then I noticed a dock. Nice dock looked new. My farther said what are you doing? I said I’m going to pull a bass from under that dock. Sure enough I messed up and hung up on the dock. So I trolled over to it not paying attention. And just as I was about to put my foot on that dock I saw the purple paint. Then I noticed it on trees and pretty much all around. I immediately swung my foot back into the boat and shook the heck out of my rod and my lure came free. Looking at my partner saying that was close. Let’s fish our way out of here. He kept saying what’s wrong? Then it dawned on me he’s only been in Texas a couple of years and goes back up north for the summer.
Purple Paint is the ultimate no trespassing sign. I’m not 100% enough to quote the law but I used to live just down the road from where hay kept getting stolen. First purple paint went on the tops of some fence post. Then next thing I hear is the hay thieves were shot at night stealing hay.
I ask a local deputy if I used purple paint and saw someone break into my shop? He said after dark you will have the right to protect your property. We’re I lived then I had more land and my shop was about 100 yards from the shop.

I can remember fishing many an hour from the shore. Hear a boat , look up and say man if I only had a boat. When I finally got my first one I immediately started beating the banks bass fishing.