Decisions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zum

Reaction score
Opions wanted in reguards to a 50hp Mercury 3cyl. 2009....boats a 1652
Thought I wanted 30hp, fuel injected new outboard but having a hard time pulling the trigger. 7k(plus)is a bit of money and theres a good chance I'll ding the lower unit before a years out.
Negs. for the 50hp :
Weight...probably 90lbs heavier then current 30hp
Starting battery...went with a lithium for my trolling motor(moving it up front) but now will need a cranking battery.(stern)
Does anyone here just pull start there 50hp outboards? I used to pull a dt40 all the time, cant see a 50hp being much harder.
Unsure if it will be to heavy(power) for a manual jack plate I own(not installed) TH marine rated 40hp but this 50hp is lighter then 4 stroke 40hps.?
Positives
Power...plenty
Trim and electric
Anyways any negatives Im missing.

I could not justify 7K plus for a 30 hp either, to many good used motors out there. Still an old two stroke fan here, those new 4 strokes are scary due to price and cost of future repairs. As far as the 50 goes...what is the max rated HP on your boat ?? No way would I plan on pull starting my 30-50 hp motor unless an emergency.....

I could not justify 7K plus for a 30 hp either, to many good used motors out there. Still an old two stroke fan here, those new 4 strokes are scary due to price and cost of future repairs. As far as the 50 goes...what is the max rated HP on your boat ?? No way would I plan on pull starting my 30-50 hp motor unless an emergency.....
Boats rated 60 console 35 tiller. Ive had a 40 tiller on it, pull start, the one Im looking at is a tiller as well.
Never had an electric start outboard, or a console. My son got me to move his Lowe 70hp one day at a launch...almost smashed into the wharf, good thing reverse was good. Didnt like the steering, seemed slow to me and the throttle was a learning curve. I pull a 30hp now but a 50 might be rough who knows, always could get a small cranking battery.

Thinking of other old threads with similar questions, the consensus seems to be to go with the largest motor you can within the boat's capacity rating. But only if it is in good shape of course. If it were me, forget about the pull cord. You will have saved enough to add a batt for starting.