Experienced opions on my setup

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadow Jr.

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 14ft aluminum boat that weighs around 200 lbs with a weight capacity of 1020lbs. I'm running a 55lb thrust trolling motor with a 100ah lithium battery transom mount only. Would this setup be sufficient for running on lakes or should I run a small outboard motor as well? Thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

Depends on what you mean by "lake." I wouldn't be caught on a bigger impoundment without an outboard. 20-30mph headwinds will hinder your electric motor significantly.

Doesn't even have to be a storm, if a front moves through while you're fishing the lee side of a lake and changes the wind direction, you can be in trouble.

Used 9.9s are so common and cheap that I don't see it as a bad investment at all. A little redundancy is usually not a bad thing in the marine world.

Agree with the above. Even a small 5 HP motor would get you out of trouble. Lots of them have the gas tank attached right to the motor. Years ago I had a 5HP mercury kicker on a 14’ sylvan classic fisherman. Pushed that boat around just fine.

As a guy who unfortunately had a bit of experience getting a 14' back to the dock under trolling power 2 years ago I have to say no. I was on still water with a decent battery and good sized troller. I had no trouble getting back, but it took like 20 mins to go 3/4 of a mile maybe. If I hit ANY wind I'm not so sure would have made it. You need a gas motor on any lake where you could end up a mile or more from the ramp IMO. If you don't like running with your bow pointed skyward, look for something a little bigger than a 9.9.

My 14' tinnie had no problem getting on plane with a 9.9 if the weight was properly spread out and balanced. You not gonna ski, but I could reach almost 18 mph and my starcraft was heavier than the posters.

14' Lund Fisherman from 1966. I fished for years with just a 35# thrust electric in back. It does limit your range for sure, and you have to keep a sharp eye on the weather, but it handled pretty stiff winds with ease. The big issue, as another poster said, is you're limited to about 3.5mph so getting anywhere takes time. It usually wasn't an issue for me because the best walleye spots for most of the season were within a half mile of the cabin where the boat lived for 50+ years. Now that I trailer it around to lakes I don't know well I put a 9.9 on it because you can't explore effectively at 3mph.
So it all depends on where and how you use the thing.

It depends on were you fish and when you fish. We fish a 1648 built for 10hp or total electric lakes. We have a 9.9 outboard, a 55lb transom mount and 45 bow mount trolling motors. I don't run both the trollers at the same time, but could if needed. We don't go out any more if the wind is much above 10-15 mph. Not because I can't get back to the dock, but it's just not fun to me fighting the wind while fishing. It is nice having the outboard as security in case you need it.

As a guy who unfortunately had a bit of experience getting a 14' back to the dock under trolling power 2 years ago I have to say no. I was on still water with a decent battery and good sized troller. I had no trouble getting back, but it took like 20 mins to go 3/4 of a mile maybe. If I hit ANY wind I'm not so sure would have made it. You need a gas motor on any lake where you could end up a mile or more from the ramp IMO. If you don't like running with your bow pointed skyward, look for something a little bigger than a 9.9.
I had a similar experience in a 1242 Jon with a 55 Minnkota. Except it took 20 minutes to go a hundred yards to the dock with a heading straight into the wind. I wasn’t that far from shore but, turning would have capsized the boat. It was about this time of year, maybe earlier, so water temps were quite cold.

I sold that boat to a guy that wanted to fish some ponds and that was probably a good fit for it.

I'd put a 9.9 on it since there are many lakes around me with that limit for gas motors along with that being a great size motor for that size boat. Keeps you safe on bigger open lakes that might get windy or when a storm is brewing in the distance and you need to get back to the dock in a hurry.

If you don't want to go gas, why not get a larger trolling motor? if your current tm doesn't have spot lock and all the other nice features that go with having gps built in, you might get more bang for your buck spending on that vs getting a gas outboard. more power, more features, no gas. might be something to consider at least...