Going after two free boats and motors?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can do the flat-rate Uhaul for I think $99/day with unlimited miles, if you care, but your TC should do fine.

That should make for a good day trip, if you leave nice and early. Just be careful moving boats and driving in the ice and snow if that applies in your area.
I called, they said a 17ft box van for a local rental was $40/day plus miles, I didn't see any 'flat rate online either?
It was more for a one way rental. I also think it may be more if I tell them I'm going to another state with it. I had that problem once before with a Ryder truck when they found out I took it from Stuart, FL to Stevens Texas and back. They told me that the truck was a 'local' rental only and that the insurance doesn't cover it out of state. I was turning it in at the time and no one said the truck was just for in state use. They didn't charge me any extra but told me that if something had happened it wouldn't have been insured.
Pretty much anything I rent will cost me a lot more, even if I could get a rental for $99, it'll burn way more fuel than my car and a small trailer.

Hey guys, former trucker here, I'd hate to try to secure those two boats stacked on a trailer. It could be done for sure, but you'd need a bunch of blocking lumber and straps. Glad this isn't my problem to solve, because I love free stuff and would have a hard time talking myself out of it. I do think though it's likely more hassle than it's worth. A little gas indeed. 2 trips = 1400 miles? Whatcha gonna get for mileage pulling this stuff, let's say 14 for easy math. So you could burn 100 gals at $3/per. Not to mention your time, wear and tear on your vehicle and buying meals for the 2-3 helpers you're gonna need. Just talking out loud here. I could be off on my estimates. One thing for sure it's going to be one huge PITA.
I was just going to take a couple of pieces of 2x4 with me, and a hand saw so I can notch them to fit over the bottom boat. That way they can't move and they'll form a flat platform for the top boat, then if the bottom boat is tied down, and the upper boat is tied to it using the rear handles and the bow eye, plus a couple of middle straps it can't move. Was also thinking of making a couple of H blocks by sandwiching a block of wood between two 3/8" plywood squares to lock the front of each boat together so they can't slip off to either side. It'll be a long ride down some roads that may yet be snow covered in spots. On smooth road, it won't be an issue, but I want to make sure I don't have to keep stopping and messing with it over and over again in the dark on some stretch of highway in the hills out that way.
Google maps is saying to go via Baltimore to rt 69, and up into PA, but that's a lot more hills than running the PA turnpike. The PA turnpike is also more tolls.

I figure cost, tolls, and meals will be roughly the cost of buying a good used hull here, but I figure with the motors, and the second hull, I should be able at least break even. Mileage is 700 up and back, give or take a few I suppose. I figure its going to take three fill ups, one to start, then one just before i get there, then another just before getting home again. It holds 19 -20 gallons total, so I figure I'll fill it every 250 miles. For three tanks of fuel, food, and tolls I figure I'll be somewhere around $200-250 total for the day. More if the car is thirstier in the cold with a trailer.

I had a similar boat years ago, and the SF14 is a pretty decent boat, its not the shallow, skinny model. I think the order of their models from the smallest 14 to the largest was Sea Star, Sea Scamp, Sea Farer, The latter came in 14 and 16ft versions.

I don’t see anywhere in this post the location of the boats. I’ll bet there are members nearby that are willing to help with this adventure
There may be, but the deal is that the guy handling the estate is here, and he's giving me the key to get in the house and garage there. He's not been there since before the holidays.
There's no one to 'call ahead' the house is empty, the owner died and the owner's wife is in assisted living in her 90's.
Its near Morgantown, WV just into PA a mile or two. I'm an hour south of Philly in south Jersey. I'd be getting there before sun up if all goes well, maybe next weekend if the weather is decent. I really don't care to be messing around in the cold at 18° all day out there. Google tells me its 5.2 hrs each way, 700 miles there and back not counting fuel stops and food runs off the highway, and with no account for towing a trailer behind a car.
The faster I get the boats down, out of the garage and loaded, the shorter the day will be. No matter what its going to be 10+ hours of driving. The hardest part will be staying awake for the ride home, especially if loading them gets to be a drawn out process. If i go, and I leave anything behind, it would be the 40hp, but I'm more likely to look for even more stuff. Plus he asked me to bring back a few things from the house as well. The big if is going to be whether or not the car is there and if I can find the keys to it to move it, or how much trouble it'll be to get the boat past the car. My guess is that if I lower the boat onto the car's roof, with some blankets, it'll slide right off the back fairly easily so long as it'll clear the door at the top.

I've been racking my brain trying to come up with a good idea, but honestly I don't think there is one. I thought of a cheap pickup from the lumberyard too, but suspect the bed is too narrow to lay either boat flat and you'd need a load extender for your trailer hitch. I have one of those too, but a boat, even a small boat really doesn't fit in the back of a truck worth a crap.

The problem here with hauling on an open trailer is both boats are going to be tippy as hell and you'll be strapping across curved surfaces so the straps are going to want to come off.

I really think if you're a smart guy you'll say thanks, but no thanks. If you're not that guy you may be the guy alongside the highway explaining why you did what you did to the cops while the ambulance is on the way to collect up the casualties of your botched plan.

I was just going to take a couple of pieces of 2x4 with me, and a hand saw so I can notch them to fit over the bottom boat. That way they can't move and they'll form a flat platform for the top boat, then if the bottom boat is tied down, and the upper boat is tied to it using the rear handles and the bow eye, plus a couple of middle straps it can't move. Was also thinking of making a couple of H blocks by sandwiching a block of wood between two 3/8" plywood squares to lock the front of each boat together so they can't slip off to either side. It'll be a long ride down some roads that may yet be snow covered in spots. On smooth road, it won't be an issue, but I want to make sure I don't have to keep stopping and messing with it over and over again in the dark on some stretch of highway in the hills out that way.
Google maps is saying to go via Baltimore to rt 69, and up into PA, but that's a lot more hills than running the PA turnpike. The PA turnpike is also more tolls.

I figure cost, tolls, and meals will be roughly the cost of buying a good used hull here, but I figure with the motors, and the second hull, I should be able at least break even. Mileage is 700 up and back, give or take a few I suppose. I figure its going to take three fill ups, one to start, then one just before i get there, then another just before getting home again. It holds 19 -20 gallons total, so I figure I'll fill it every 250 miles. For three tanks of fuel, food, and tolls I figure I'll be somewhere around $200-250 total for the day. More if the car is thirstier in the cold with a trailer.

I had a similar boat years ago, and the SF14 is a pretty decent boat, its not the shallow, skinny model. I think the order of their models from the smallest 14 to the largest was Sea Star, Sea Scamp, Sea Farer, The latter came in 14 and 16ft versions.
Personally, I think that will be worth it for several boats and motors, as long as you can get the titles. If YOU think it's worth it, that is what matters the most. I know you aren't scared of a couple of little jon boats. You will figure it out.

Some 2x and a cordless saw and drill will serve you well, along with the blankets and multiple ratchet straps. Figuring out how to secure them will be half of the satisfaction.

Take pictures, be careful and keep us posted on your adventure. Looking forward to seeing the pics!

-Tony

Hauling them isn't the problem. None of it weighs all that much, but getting it out of the garage and onto the trailer of the 40hp into the boat may be the issue.

Two trips would mean twice the fuel, or another $100 or so or more.

What I may do is leave earlier, get there maybe around 4am, then get the bulk of the loading done before it warms up, once its all loaded, then get a few hours of sleep before turning for home after the traffic dies down a bit. They're showing 60° weather for Thurs and Fri. so maybe I'll try for Wed. and get not screw up the whole weekend.
I dug out a come along and some tie downs, and some tools. If my buddy gets me the keys I should be set for Wed.
What still bothers me is that something seems a bit shady about the whole deal. I understand why he can't make the trip, and he likely wouldn't be of much help anyway but I'm a bit leery about driving 5+ hours on only two small pics and his description. I'm liable to get there and find its a hoarder situation and the boats are buried, or get there and the keys don't fit or find the locks have been changed or something.

Hauling them isn't the problem. None of it weighs all that much, but getting it out of the garage and onto the trailer of the 40hp into the boat may be the issue.

What I may do is leave earlier, get there maybe around 4am, then get the bulk of the loading done before it warms up, once its all loaded, then get a few hours of sleep before turning for home after the traffic dies down a bit. They're showing 60° weather for Thurs and Fri. so maybe I'll try for Wed. and get not screw up the whole weekend.
I dug out a come along and some tie downs, and some tools. If my buddy gets me the keys I should be set for Wed.
What still bothers me is that something seems a bit shady about the whole deal. I understand why he can't make the trip, and he likely wouldn't be of much help anyway but I'm a bit leery about driving 5+ hours on only two small pics and his description. I'm liable to get there and find its a hoarder situation and the boats are buried, or get there and the keys don't fit or find the locks have been changed or something.
Or you could get there and find more treasures that your buddy might tell you to go ahead grab them since you’re there and it has to go anyway. I understand what you’re trying to do with car and trailer.

From the sounds of the situation if it were me, which it’s not, I’d take something that I could put boats and motors in with plenty of extra room just in case. I’ve made a few great hauls over the years in similar situations.

After all the whole thing is kind of a gamble from the git go.

No offense to your friend, but Im a bit leery for you.

Don't you have some young boys that would be interested in a road trip with snacks and a treasure hunt ?? Grandson, neighbor kid, nephew or someone? Extra muscle is always welcome..

Not much to add as most options have been covered. I'm a little confused about your tow vehicle. You mentioned your TC has a 1000# tow capacity, yet you towed a 28' Airstream quite a distance. That Airstream is over 5000#. How did you accomplish towing that Airstream? Perhaps I misread something.

My PRO/CON sheet would look something like this....keeping in mind these are FREE items.

Free boats and motors...PRO+
Condition unknown........CON
Travel distance...............NEUTRAL
Weather...........................CON+
Unknown work involved to acquire boats....CON
Items friend wants you to bring back....NEUTRAL
Trailer you are considering using....CON

With the awkward shape of boats, added items your friend want you to bring back, other items that you may acquire, all equal utility trailer if you want to use your car, which sounds like you want to do.

I would invest a little scratch and take the chance. I would take help. I would take plenty of blanket, ratchet straps, 2x, sawzall, come along, large pry bars, various hand tools, etc. I would Invest... meaning a suitable trailer capable of handling this project, yet still towable by your car.

The $ investment would be the amount I am willing to lose if the deal doesn't pan out.
In the past I've experienced some great deals and lost on some....it's a chance that only you can determine if it's worth it or not.

Be SAFE, take help, don't rush...and DO take the appropriate trailer....better to have more trailer than you need than one that is borderline or close to it!

Last edited:
No offense to your friend, but Im a bit leery for you.
I had a situation similar to this. A contractor I knew gave me the keys to a house in an upscale suburb of Chicago with permission to take whatever I wanted. My parents and I load their van with everything we thought had value. Sterling silver utensils, dressing sets, depression era glass, very early TV's, kitchen stove/oven and many other things no one wanted. By the time we sold what we didn't want we cleared $4000.00

I drove from Binghamton NY to Iowa to get a tractor and FEL First Tractor

Sold it a few years latter and got another with a FEL, hoe, and other implements: 2nd Tractor This was a full day back and forth to Newark warehouse.

My advice, plan on things not going to plan. You need a safety person and one for the loading. My son will never forget the adventure, but a friend with a pick-up and trailer hitch might be better. Your car/trailer seems marginal. Figure out a better, yes, more costly plan.

To intice a friend with better towing equipment, find out from your friend what else is available. Maybe offer him the boat you don't prefer or a motor.

I drove from Binghamton NY to Iowa to get a tractor and FEL First Tractor

Sold it a few years latter and got another with a FEL, hoe, and other implements: 2nd Tractor This was a full day back and forth to Newark warehouse.

My advice, plan on things not going to plan. You need a safety person and one for the loading. My son will never forget the adventure, but a friend with a pick-up and trailer hitch might be better. Your car/trailer seems marginal. Figure out a better, yes, more costly plan.

To intice a friend with better towing equipment, find out from your friend what else is available. Maybe offer him the boat you don't prefer or a motor.
I'm always willing to drive for the right deal. Last year I made a 5hr drive one way to up near Staten Island in Woodbridge township NJ to buy a 75hp massey ferguson. It was a factory demo with 90hrs on it they were selling for $10k less than new and finance and warranty were offered same as new. Surprised the heck out of me that a dealer was located there. Was quite interesting getting in and out of Woodbridge township while avoiding all the 5ton and 10ton weight restrictions on all those little bridges. The savings more than made up for it!