Got me another boat. UPDATE 6/27!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler_W

Reaction score
Alright guys i really haven't been working too hard except for the last coupole of days, I've got the trailor painted and wired and new bunks on it. I put untreated 24's with cutting board pieces on top with counter sunk ss screws. I also coated the wood with fiberglass resin. Then i began the deck framing but ran out of simpson strong ties. I will have the framing finished tonight. I also purchased a motor guide foot controlled troilling motor and fish finder for 100 dollars... Yeah 100... The motor is in perfect condition.

DSC00176.jpg

DSC00177.jpg

DSC00178.jpg

My finger is where the rod holder will be
DSC00179.jpg

DSC00181.jpg

DSC00182.jpg

You can see the cutting board piece if you look close enough
DSC00183.jpg

Well i got an update but stil no pictures. I got all the old carpet out but i still need to vaccuum it all out so i can start framing it. One of the major problems of the boat wa the steering. The steering line is busted and froze and the stick to steer with is rusted. So after looking up new systems i found out they don't come cheap. So i went and stared at the boat and looked at my options. The steering stick REALLY just needed to be sanded down good. So after i searched on the internet for a method to get heavy rust off of metal i found electrolisis. Which is basically where you get a 5 gallon bucket, fill it up with water, grad a 12v batt., your rusted peice of metal and another clean piece of metal. Then you put your rusted piece in the water and wrap a wire around it and connect the wire to the negative post, then hook the clean piece up to the positive post. Put some baking soda in the bucket and watch it sizzle. I hope it works because i don't feel like spending 200+ dollars on just a new stick. If anyone knows where i can find one for cheap let me know. I am also looking for a manual for a 30 hp evinrude. Not sure of the date yet but will find out shortly.

I got a 71-89 johnson/evinrude repair manual on ebay for about $4. They sent it on a CD. I'd email it to you but the file is too big.

OKay guys so here are the pics i promised. It's a 1538 fisher stick steer style boat. It has a 30 horse evinrude with it i'm just kinda in the process of trying to get it to run. I have almost got all the mud and trees and old carpet out so i can start modding in. Since my steering hose is froze up and busted i thought i would just buy a new one, but the company's (teleflex) stick steering was deemed dangerous by the coast guard so the company had to quit making their stick steering supplies period. So now i have decided to buy there steering wheel kit that hooks straight up the the rack steering a have. I am going to make a big front deck and a smaller rear deck. The two boxes you see in the floor is where the seats used to be mounted, they are actually livewells. So i'm am going to deck over them but put a hatch over them so i can still use them.

I have not decided if i'm going to paint the boat or polish the alluminum. I am leaning towards polishing but so far i have not found any polish that will work. If i do paint it i am going to paint it burnt orange. If anyone has any suggestions please give them to me.

DSC00122.jpg

DSC00123.jpg

Where we bent the trailer pulling the boat out
DSC00124.jpg

DSC00125.jpg

DSC00126.jpg

DSC00127.jpg

DSC00128.jpg

OLD trolling motor
DSC00129.jpg

DSC00130.jpg

DSC00131.jpg

It actually worked great! But being as the company don't even sale steering lines for that model steering stick i can't even use it. But i atleast know how to get rust off of parts lol

For what its worth that outboard looks very very similar to my 1986 Johnson 28 spl, in fact I cant tell a difference from the pics. You are gonna have a fun time I think mounting it back. Those are good motors though, very nice weight to hp ratio.

nice project boat..

You might check on ebay for boat steering stuff..

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ezy-Stik-Steering-Kit-Stick-Steer-Jon-Boat-Glide-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31283QQihZ008QQitemZ180245886842QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

try this website for stick steering. it seems to be about the only company left that makes stick systems. https://www.ezyglide.com/

Update guys, Okay so i've been messing around with whether or not i want to polish the boat or not and i decided just to clen the alumunum real good. And my other orblem was what type of steering. If i can get the motor that i have to work i am going to get a stick steer to steering wheel conversion kit. But if i can't get the motor to run i'm just going to use my Johnson 15hp. My next question is about bunks. I know that pressure treated corrodes alluminum. And i know how it is said to be easier to not carpet the bunks and leave it just wood. But if i got pressure treated and didn't carpet it, wouldn't it corrode the aluminum on the bottom? And if i just used non treated wood, wouldn't it rot or could i put some type of water treatment on it? And do you think the 15 would push that boat? i think it will but i figured i would ask you guys.

And another deal i've got out of fixing this boat up is the trolling motor i'm getting for it. It's a newer foot controlled motor guide but there is not one single scratch on this thing, the guy told me $125, and it has two transducers on it, you can't beat that price!

If you don't want carpet, go get 3/8 thickness cutting boards at Wallyworld, rip them to the width of your bunks, hit the edges with a round over plane, and install with countersunk stainless steel screws. Will probably outlast the bunk wood, and actually does make launching easier. Did it on a past boat but didn't on a current one and am possibly regretting not doing so.

Latest posts